Taiga Atlas electric snowmobile

56 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I think it's sweet but there zero mention of real performance numbers other than the 120 up.

Weight and actual range were left out.

I was good with them using the 120 class hp because actual numbers aren't going to be really comparable to a gas engine.  But I'm with you on range, I was waiting for that topic and it never came up.  Anyone remotely interested in this sled will want and need to know range and they have to know that and specifically left it out, couldn't even give a ball park.  That was telling to me.

Also no mention of weight.  Even if he just goes to the back bumper and shows he can lift it (or can't), would be something.

And pretty disappointing in them basically just saying it handles "good".  With the different balance of weight and different power delivery it must handlebar dramatically different from any other sled, and instead of elaborating st all on that at all they just say, it's good.  ??  Ok..

In 20 minute video there was plenty of time to give ballpark range or just whatever they observed.  That's pretty pathetic.  Wasn't part of paid talking points I guess.

10 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I was good with them using the 120 class hp because actual numbers aren't going to be really comparable to a gas engine.  But I'm with you on range, I was waiting for that topic and it never came up.  Anyone remotely interested in this sled will want and need to know range and they have to know that and specifically left it out, couldn't even give a ball park.  That was telling to me.

Also no mention of weight.  Even if he just goes to the back bumper and shows he can lift it (or can't), would be something.

And pretty disappointing in them basically just saying it handles "good".  With the different balance of weight and different power delivery it must handlebar dramatically different from any other sled, and instead of elaborating st all on that at all they just say, it's good.  ??  Ok..

In 20 minute video there was plenty of time to give ballpark range or just whatever they observed.  That's pretty pathetic.  Wasn't part of paid talking points I guess.

didn't watch the video yet but according to their website it weighs about as much a a 4S with fuel and oil.  

266kg / 586lbs

Weight (ride ready)

https://taigamotors.ca/snowmobiles/

• Like 1

I'm guessing weight and range is pathetic, otherwise it would have been mentioned. Might be a good sled to run to the beer store on, providing it's within 10 minutes. BRP reports they will invest $ 300 million into product electrification. Doubt that is close to enough needed.

Edited by Tripleflipper

• Gold Member

I like it but until the range is more realistic with what a trail guy runs in a day I don’t see it taking off. We stayed at a hotel with a charging station this winter so if this could get say a 300mile range come back to the hotel charge it and be good to go for next day it would be some what appealing. Gotta start somewhere though.

5 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I like it but until the range is more realistic with what a trail guy runs in a day I don’t see it taking off. We stayed at a hotel with a charging station this winter so if this could get say a 300mile range come back to the hotel charge it and be good to go for next day it would be some what appealing. Gotta start somewhere though.

How many charging stations would be needed for a hotel full of sleds ? 

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, CFM said:

How many charging stations would be needed for a hotel full of sleds ? 

I wouldn’t think that many. What’s a Tesla take to quick charge 30mins?? 4 stations probably charge decent amount of sleds. The place in Houlton we stayed at had 4 and not a car in site to hook up to them. It’s a ways off before I’d ever want one but it’s coming.

How would you organize the charging times ? Attendant ? Stay on property and run like the devil for your slot ? Okay, i get it, like cars, there sill be only 0-2 there and needing a charge at 1st. But what if 10-20yrs down the rd there are tons ? You’d need more sled chargers than car chargers. Maybe charge times will be reduced to a few minutes by then ?

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, CFM said:

How would you organize the charging times ? Attendant ? Stay on property and run like the devil for your slot ? Okay, i get it, like cars, there sill be only 0-2 there and needing a charge at 1st. But what if 10-20yrs down the rd there are tons ? You’d need more sled chargers than car chargers. Maybe charge times will be reduced to a few minutes by then ?

I get what your saying and like I said gotta start somewhere. Maybe future electric sledders will go into the Starbucks next door for some overpriced latte while charging there sled lol idk. Going to be things to figure out but I think it’s pretty cool to have the option of electric if one wanted it.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I don't ride 300 miles in a day that sounds kind of boring.  I don't ride 200 in a day.  

Trail guy rarely do any real off trail stuff so 300+ is no problem where my group does most our riding these days western/northern Maine. Rarely ride less than 200 day. No amount of snowmobiling will ever get boring to me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I don't ride 300 miles in a day that sounds kind of boring.  I don't ride 200 in a day.  

We get it, that kind of mileage is typically a full month (or an entire season!) for guys who ride Cats :lol2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

What do you do in the afternoon and evening?  Nap time?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

We get it, that kind of mileage is typically a full month (or an entire season!) for guys who ride Cats :lol2:

If some one told me now days yeah we are going to pound diamonds for 300mi . I would rather stay home and watch TV. 

In fact if all I could do is pound diamonds I would have sold all my shit 15 yrs ago. 

I will go on a 200ish with some guys every year and mid way in am asking my self why in the fuck do you do this to your self. 

Only reason I own a Dimond pounder is to run local and go out with some buds when I am not doing what I really want to be doing 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

I get what your saying and like I said gotta start somewhere. Maybe future electric sledders will go into the Starbucks next door for some overpriced latte while charging there sled lol idk. Going to be things to figure out but I think it’s pretty cool to have the option of electric if one wanted it.

If they seriously lighten them up you almost never burn a full tank in the hills in a day so range not the issue but they need to drop 200. And that is not going to happen any time soon .

But for shit like at my cabin running to the bar for dinner and back 25 min each way poss 40 min if I take a long loop perfect . And a fuck load of guys do that and only that.  I see em every weekend I am up there 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

please post your 2020/2021 riding log.

:lol2:

not that I'm bragging about my winter.

• Haha 1

finally watched the video

wow, they figured out a gauge that A/C riders might like, all on their own

electric is our future, like it or not.  personally I'd prefer a hybrid system for when the juice runs low

he could have at least ridden it around a little, in a circle or something - I wasn't expecting a drag race

nice to see some innovation, and for those bitching about it - there's a 'motor' driving a track using a pair of skis to steer it - so it's a snowmobile

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

If some one told me now days yeah we are going to pound diamonds for 300mi . I would rather stay home and watch TV.

Those Poo fucks do watch TV going down the trail.. I have seen pictures of Friends playing.

I am in the same boat as you I get out on a day pounding groom trail and after the first hour or two I start to wonder what the fuck I am doing.. and want to fuck off to do something more exciting. 

I do understand people wanting to take a trip some where, it is just not that exciting. I am type of person that can hit the same jump in my back yard all day and keep my self amused... different strokes. 

But I think that kind of riding would be even worse for battery draw. Any off trail would. As soon as you start putting load/wot on this electric shit charge goes in the hole.

14 hours ago, Doug said:

What do you do in the afternoon and evening?  Nap time?

Depends on the day and what I'm doing.  Could be putting out or checking traps, or exploring off trail areas.  Or playing in snow.  Whatever.  I definitely don't need to ride 200-300 miles of trail in a day.  Guess I'm lucky.