Horrible design

• Gold Member

Couple weeks ago I broke my buds 1100t. We just got around to fixing it tonight. This has to be the worst design. Rear suspension front mount bar made out of weak tiny little aluminum rod. This rod holds the entire skid up brilliant design.

B6E149A7-7084-4261-87BF-76BF1A8E37CF.jpeg

98CC0AD3-B8C1-41C2-B121-59AEFF3D225C.jpeg

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Check where it mounts in the tunnel too and make sure that isn't all out of whack.  

The check out the Barn of Parts kit for it.

Where it mounts in the tunnel is cracked on both sides. The rear skid mounts are also cracked. I think this is the third time that rod has cracked in half. It’s really due for a new chassis. He has the tunnel saver plate kit that’s been on it for awhile not sure if it’s the bop kit or not. I see they make a upper shaft saver kit I’ll let him know for the price it’s worth a try I’d think. The old girls got 20k on her she’s had a rough life.

Does cat use a steel bar there on some models?   Could you use a much longer bolt in there that way it would add considerable strength I'd think?

The a arm bolts are tiny, it's hard to get over.  Especially when comparing to my 05 zr.  What a difference in everything.  But it seems to work fine the new ones don't seem to have a problem there.

Shit ... 20K miles on that sled would tell me this stuff is gonna happen.  Pretty cool to be able to rack up that kind of mileage!  Especially on the 2012 belt eater ... that would be, averaging a belt every 500 miles = 40 belts???? LOL

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Does cat use a steel bar there on some models?   Could you use a much longer bolt in there that way it would add considerable strength I'd think?

The a arm bolts are tiny, it's hard to get over.  Especially when comparing to my 05 zr.  What a difference in everything.  But it seems to work fine the new ones don't seem to have a problem there.

He has a 20 winder too. We’ll have to look at that one see if it is different metal or design. The steel sleeve seems like a good fix that’s on barn of parts site.

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Shit ... 20K miles on that sled would tell me this stuff is gonna happen.  Pretty cool to be able to rack up that kind of mileage!  Especially on the 2012 belt eater ... that would be, averaging a belt every 500 miles = 40 belts???? LOL

This has happened with 5k on the sled :lol:. When it was new he was lucky to get 200miles on a belt but he fixed that issue years ago with some am upgrade kit to align motor. That was the most annoying first 2-3 winters with him because it took so fucking long to get the correct shims in the thing so it wouldn’t squeal like a pig just to blow another belt the next day and start all over with shimming lol.

• Like 1

The 2012 Procross and 2019 Patriot 850 are prime examples of why I don't buy first year stuff.

This is the front arm cross bar on my 2016 RR.  I would suspect the bushings are the same as your buddies sled but they beefed up the center of the bar.  

A lot of guys that I see with issues take out their coupling blocks and the suspension slides back enough to come out of the front bar.  When it comes back it in turns the tunnel into a pretzel.  Guys just gotta have that ski lift on a coupled skid in a trail sled...

image.thumb.png.a1b54aac311e06445f9a1cd5689128b1.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

The 2012 Procross and 2019 Patriot 850 are prime examples of why I don't buy first year stuff.

This is the front arm cross bar on my 2016 RR.  I would suspect the bushings are the same as your buddies sled but they beefed up the center of the bar.  

A lot of guys that I see with issues take out their coupling blocks and the suspension slides back enough to come out of the front bar.  When it comes back it in turns the tunnel into a pretzel.  Guys just gotta have that ski lift on a coupled skid in a trail sled...

That was like stupid question of the year of FB.

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

That one definitely looks beefier. I’ll let him know. I think it was just fatigued and I was riding pretty hard when it broke so that probably didn’t help either. It seems he gets 6-7k miles out of them from what he said.

paging @Tommcat unless he was sent to a Massholechusetts state penitentiary for violating local dyno noise laws...

I know someone on HCS (forgetting who at the moment) makes a different axle and bracing/fix-kit for the front when this happens, trying to recall who it was though.  he has a shitload of early Procross products... 

and, are his limiter straps 'loosened' by chance.... ??????????

edit: thought it was Belanger who has a ton of fix kits but it wasn't him http://www.belangerracingproducts.com/products.php

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's so many fix kits for the early procross sleds, you'd swear pOLAriS made them

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat/arctic-cat-0637-392-flat-tunnel-update-kit-black-2012-xf

He has probably every fix kit on this sled haha. Just about everything has been upgraded. I don’t know why he did the tunnel plates but never bothered with the better cross bar?? Freakin cat owners

20 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Couple weeks ago I broke my buds 1100t. We just got around to fixing it tonight. This has to be the worst design. Rear suspension front mount bar made out of weak tiny little aluminum rod. This rod holds the entire skid up brilliant design.

B6E149A7-7084-4261-87BF-76BF1A8E37CF.jpeg

98CC0AD3-B8C1-41C2-B121-59AEFF3D225C.jpeg

Just need to upgrade to the steel rod from an rr.

Problem solved

• Like 3

Same thing happened to my 12 800 last month while on a trip. That bar should NEVER have been made out of aluminum. Finding so many pieces on the rear suspension that are steel on other models it's just stupid to think mass and cost savings are worth it at the expense of durability. To salvage the trip I was able to find a steel bar and even though my tunnel at the mount area was a little bent, it straightened back up when I tightened everything up. Got the tunnel reinforcement piece and rivets but haven't installed yet. You would think after the F series sled (I have an 03 F7 as well) Cat would have learned their lesson but they continue to shoot themselves in the foot time after time with stupid decisions like this.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catman800 said:

Same thing happened to my 12 800 last month while on a trip. That bar should NEVER have been made out of aluminum. Finding so many pieces on the rear suspension that are steel on other models it's just stupid to think mass and cost savings are worth it at the expense of durability. To salvage the trip I was able to find a steel bar and even though my tunnel at the mount area was a little bent, it straightened back up when I tightened everything up. Got the tunnel reinforcement piece and rivets but haven't installed yet. You would think after the F series sled (I have an 03 F7 as well) Cat would have learned their lesson but they continue to shoot themselves in the foot time after time with stupid decisions like this.  

Just one point... aluminum is more expensive than steel...