7S or standard gauge?

Doug

I went with the 7S on my XCR as I had on my VR1.  I normally lead and last year we rode in areas Sth that we normally didn't ride so it was really nice.  Also that you could change the display the way you wanted was nice.  I use the phone function a fair amount as I don't work Friday's in the winter and guys would call to meet up and ask for trail conditions.  The fuel gauge seems a little inconsistent but I alway reset one of the trip meters and go by mileage so not a big deal 

I went against my better judgment, and opted for the 7s.  I don't plan on using any of the phone features, or even the group ride stuff, but I do like the idea of the map being a LOT more useful than how it was with the PIDD.  There's a couple trips I go on where I'm not 100% sure of the trails, so it'll be nice to have ... even if the majority of my looks at the gauge are to check temps and fuel level & trip meter.

I thought about trying to find a used PIDD for my Indy. My RMK had one on it but I sold it because I didn’t want the big bag that I had to run to mount it. Thought that because the PIDD screen is bigger than my handheld GPS, the PIDD might actually be a little more useful for trail riding. Not going to pay what used ones are going for though so screw that. 

I would get a 7S on any newer trail sled. The group ride feature would be awesome to have for off trail riding because everyone is always running off in different directions. 

standard gauge, a keen sense of direction and good old fashioned printed maps

I'm nostalgic that way

but, if I were buying a new Poo the 7S and the 'smart grip' feature would be difficult to turn my back on due to Raynauds in my left fingers and the configurable gauge. 

this said, still going to rock 2010 team green old school simple toggle switch shit and an old fashioned map for areas I don't know next winter.  what's funny is I can ride numerous 100 mile+ local loops and never stop to look at a map once, maybe that and the guys I ride with like chasing a 500 is why I normally lead. :lol:   

• 3 weeks later...

I went 7s purely due to resale.  I went with an assault and figure the assault name alone along with all the bells and whistles is more likely to sell vs the standard switchback xc.