the old triples

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

I don't either. Flooded fouled out turds 1/3 of the time. 

did you not have a wife who owned a hair dryer and a warm blanket at the time, or Zamb to cuddle with?  :)

I enjoy catching up on STV, and his nostalgic stuff.  riding season is over and it's a few months before prime bass fishing begins for me so... enjoy part 2

14 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

did you not have a wife who owned a hair dryer and a warm blanket at the time, or Zamb to cuddle with?  :)

I enjoy catching up on STV, and his nostalgic stuff.  riding season is over and it's a few months before prime bass fishing begins for me so... enjoy part 2

No I was sitting there waiting with my twin cylinders idling perfectly... most of the time lol

Twins are just lighter, torquier, quicker revving.  I went from a 1000 tcat to my zr9 and besides lake running the ZR was better in every way by a landslide.  I used to be all about the triples but I don't know now.  Maybe if I go to that erx triple weekend it will re ignite something with me.

Maybe if I could convert one to fan cooled.

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Twins are just lighter, torquier, quicker revving.  I went from a 1000 tcat to my zr9 and besides lake running the ZR was better in every way by a landslide.  I used to be all about the triples but I don't know now.  Maybe if I go to that erx triple weekend it will re ignite something with me.

there is something special about them, in the meanwhile I'll stick to my triple 2S outboard and call it quits there.

back in the day though... when Cat was cool.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

First sled I ever bought was a 96 zrt 6.  Drove to Michigan to get a cherry one.  In high school at our local hayfield where some of us locals gathered, my buddy and I watched these two kids our age racing their Dad's new sleds.  A 96 zrt6 and a 96 xcr 6.  There was a srv 540 in there too.  The zrt crushed them.  Bus lengths.  The srv actually beat the xcr too.  That day sold me on that sled and it was the only one I was going to buy.  It was so badass.  I ended up putting black magic pipes and stingers and black magic clutching on it.  They were cool.  I just think now riding one would suck ass, I think you just have to be a little smoother and more deliberate when riding one and my current style would not mesh with the characteristics of a triple.  The next one I got was my next bucket list sled the 98 tcat.

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

Triple fanner now you're talking! My first sled was a 96 zrt6 that I bought from a coworker.  Second was another newer zrt my friend pieced together from Arctic Salvage with new parts. They do have the cool appeal when you hear one wound out but yeah I like my current sled better. Here is a pic of the second one.

6684.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

There is a thundercat right at my back door that has 900 original miles on it , I contemplated it until I found out he wanted 4500 for it. I did find a vmax 4 for 2500 that looks cherry in the pictures - I've always wanted one. 

I love that old iron but, I'm honest with myself on all of it, it's outdated and antiquated metal...same as muscle cars.  Sure, I'd snatch one or two up at the right price to decorate my barn but, for what I have always been about (usable maximum performance), they just don't fit my needs.

I have never ridden one.. I would assume its the same as any old sled.. 

I just love the sound!!! my neighbor 2 houses down had a 2000ish thunder cat.. you could hear it as soon as he started it up... 
then as he went down the trail beside my house, it sounded mean putting along. 
At the end of the trail there is a rail bed... then you could really hear the thing sing. 

You also knew when he got home.. Or not because it left him stranded quite a few times.  

If you rode a triple in a new chassis it would change a lot of opinions, last Polaris triple was 2003, no comparison to the modern chassis.  I have had triples since 1977, a 74 500 TX being my first, have had really no engine issues that are specific to triples. I just sold my IQR with a XCR 800 engine in it, sled worked really well, but was hard on my knees just due to contact with cowling. I'm thinking about building another on a 2019-2020 AXY R with my XCR based 1000 HTG and incorporating either a XC or XCR hood and belly pan, just not sure if I want to put that much work into another sled.

3 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

If you rode a triple in a new chassis it would change a lot of opinions, last Polaris triple was 2003, no comparison to the modern chassis.  I have had triples since 1977, a 74 500 TX being my first, have had really no engine issues that are specific to triples. I just sold my IQR with a XCR 800 engine in it, sled worked really well, but was hard on my knees just due to contact with cowling. I'm thinking about building another on a 2019-2020 AXY R with my XCR based 1000 HTG and incorporating either a XC or XCR hood and belly pan, just not sure if I want to put that much work into another sled.

If I get the ambition and time going the other direction.  Have a NOS XCR800 motor to go into a wedge chassis.  Have most of the parts and a set of Rugland pipes.  Maybe some day.

1 minute ago, Doug said:

If I get the ambition and time going the other direction.  Have a NOS XCR800 motor to go into a wedge chassis.  Have most of the parts and a set of Rugland pipes.  Maybe some day.

Probably the fastest chassis short of a drag chassis you can use. I had Rugland hand built pipes in the IQR, my riding buddies sled has an xcr engine that had 20,000 plus miles on it when he got it, has well over 30,000 on it now but has had new pistons and water pump.

22 hours ago, mnstang said:

First sled I ever bought was a 96 zrt 6.  Drove to Michigan to get a cherry one.  In high school at our local hayfield where some of us locals gathered, my buddy and I watched these two kids our age racing their Dad's new sleds.  A 96 zrt6 and a 96 xcr 6.  There was a srv 540 in there too.  The zrt crushed them.  Bus lengths.  The srv actually beat the xcr too.  That day sold me on that sled and it was the only one I was going to buy.  It was so badass.  I ended up putting black magic pipes and stingers and black magic clutching on it.  They were cool.  I just think now riding one would suck ass, I think you just have to be a little smoother and more deliberate when riding one and my current style would not mesh with the characteristics of a triple.  The next one I got was my next bucket list sled the 98 tcat.

Black Magic - best marketing name ever, hands down for Cat products

11 hours ago, fortune46x said:

There is a thundercat right at my back door that has 900 original miles on it , I contemplated it until I found out he wanted 4500 for it. I did find a vmax 4 for 2500 that looks cherry in the pictures - I've always wanted one. 

4500 dollars?  american dollars?  

I think the old triples are cool, but I have no interest at all in owning one.  I do know this, if any manufacturer including Cat came out with a new triple 2S in a modern chassis they would sell a shitload of them to a lot of guys over the age of 50

hmmm, ZRT 2.0 or F7 2.0 - tough call there  :)

Black magic was super cool.  I remember when they were going out of business and selling a ton of stuff on ebay, I should have bought all of it.  Still very sought after stuff.  They worked directly with the cat race team. I still have some of their catalogs and just recently picked up some of these old stickers just because

Screenshot_20210305-082855.png

23 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I love that old iron but, I'm honest with myself on all of it, it's outdated and antiquated metal...same as muscle cars.  Sure, I'd snatch one or two up at the right price to decorate my barn but, for what I have always been about (usable maximum performance), they just don't fit my needs.

Its just like the GP we have - its not a sled you're going to get out and ride all day on , but every once in awhile take it on the 40mph club ride to have people wonder what the hell is wrong with you ... 

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Black Magic - best marketing name ever, hands down for Cat products

4500 dollars?  american dollars?  

I think the old triples are cool, but I have no interest at all in owning one.  I do know this, if any manufacturer including Cat came out with a new triple 2S in a modern chassis they would sell a shitload of them to a lot of guys over the age of 50

hmmm, ZRT 2.0 or F7 2.0 - tough call there  :)

4500 bald eagles not maple syrups and moose. 

32 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Its just like the GP we have - its not a sled you're going to get out and ride all day on , but every once in awhile take it on the 40mph club ride to have people wonder what the hell is wrong with you ...  

Put 180+ miles on in one day on a 1985 Indy you'll be questioning yourself " What the hell's wrong with you"  Been there and that actually the last time I rode that sled.