my 20/21 season and buying a used sled rant!

LexusLover

over the 2020 season, i was given a 1992 340 polaris for free that sat outside for 4-5 years untouched.  Fixed it up as it was a green fuel mess from tank to fuel pump to carbs, and both the secondary and primary were never serviced which ended up being a PITA to get off and rebuild.  Got it to run well enough, not perfect, but good enough for the kid to play around on.  Sold it for the COVID price of $1600 in Jan 2021.  Picked up a 1998 Skidoo forumla 500 with 2600 original miles for $850 that sat under a buddies deck for 4 years as well.  We were able to get it to start and run enough to get it into the back of the truck.  Cleaned up the sled and it was actually in pretty good shape once dolled up.  Bought some skidoo clutch tools, refreshed both clutches and greased what needed to be greased.  Sled ran like a top.  Quite impressed with that skidoo, but the suspension was a dog and the boy complained about a harsh ride.  So, asked COVID $2500 and settled on $2000 to get it out the door.  

Two days later see a good looking 2004 Polaris Classic 600 with M10 suspension.  $3000 she wants for it with 5900 miles.  She's 4 hours north of me so i'm not making the trek to see it before i grab it.  Looks to be in good shape from photos and video she sent me.  ES and reverse, 12v plug, adjustable rear seat...perfect for the boy to spend a few years on.  

Talked to her on the phone, she gave me the story on the sled, figured i'd take a chance and asked her to meet me half way to pick up the sled.  She agrees.  I get to our meeting spot and noticed that the front shock is completely gone.  She snapped the shaft loading it on to her truck.  i then point out that her rear idler wheel is missing as well.  Only a piece of the bearing is left.  Now, i'm thinking all the bearings were never replaced and i've got some more work on my hands.  Sled starts and runs well.  Compression was 112/110 so i was okay with that.  Thinking it's never been opened.  Pics looked better than in person, but some elbow grease and it would shine up again and i'd make this the boys project.  We come to an agreement of $700 off after a few calls to the dealer on part pricing.  So, drive out of there at $2300 cost.  

Pop it into the shop and start to take clutches off.  insert the screw to open up the sheaves of the driven and it is almost seized.  WTF?  just able to get the belt off and now i know i'm gonna have to be a bitch to get that helix out to clean up that secondary.  Can't imagine the primary is in good shape either.   I'm sure there will be many more surprises as i get through the sled, but if you say it's been well taken care of, make sure it's well taken care of!! 

At the end of the day, with the profits off the other sleds, this one really only cost me about $200 to purchase, but what i think is well taken care of is certainly not what others are saying of well taken care of.  I'm tired of the "in excellent condition crap" spewed in the ads.

taking this into perspective

a 1992 340

a 1998 500

a 2004 600

LOL, in the first paragraph I already started the math, by the second one I was like 'stop being a bitch' and by the third I was reminded of 'buyer beware' and no one made you buy any of these piles of shit.

you got precisely $200 into the red to post this thread.  I spent that just on some gaskets.  remind me again what it is you're bitching about?:lol2:

I was thinking the same thing.... bought a couple 1993 XCR’s a few years ago, no matter how they looked or was told, I was fully expecting to find things not right, and I did.  ‘Well taken care of’ means practically nothing on a 20+ year old sled.

48 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I was thinking the same thing.... bought a couple 1993 XCR’s a few years ago, no matter how they looked or was told, I was fully expecting to find things not right, and I did.  ‘Well taken care of’ means practically nothing on a 20+ year old sled.

Bought a 1994 XCR 600 about 10 years ago with only 300+ miles on that was covered in the back of a warehouse.  I know the guy well and he bought new sleds every year when he still rode.  He only rode the sled one weekend and hated the low seat so he bought a XLT sp.  Ran into him one day and asked what ever happened to that sled knowing they were limited build.  Told me he still had it if I wanted to buy.  Sled is in showroom condition still a little over 300 miles on it.

58 minutes ago, Doug said:

Bought a 1994 XCR 600 about 10 years ago with only 300+ miles on that was covered in the back of a warehouse.  I know the guy well and he bought new sleds every year when he still rode.  He only rode the sled one weekend and hated the low seat so he bought a XLT sp.  Ran into him one day and asked what ever happened to that sled knowing they were limited build.  Told me he still had it if I wanted to buy.  Sled is in showroom condition still a little over 300 miles on it.

Nice - I would hope a 300 mile sled that had been stored in a warehouse with a cover would be near mint.  The two I bought were in the 5-6000 mile range, and had been ridden hard.  Saw the one on the trail two years before I bought it.  Juts a little nostalgia for me.  Had one back in the day, and really liked the unique one year color combo.

IMG_6114.JPG

LDIA3777.JPG

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Nice - I would hope a 300 mile sled that had been stored in a warehouse with a cover would be near mint.  The two I bought were in the 5-6000 mile range, and had been ridden hard.  Saw the one on the trail two years before I bought it.  Juts a little nostalgia for me.  Had one back in the day, and really liked the unique one year color combo.

IMG_6114.JPG

LDIA3777.JPG

Always liked those sleds and color combination.  A 1997 XCR 440 is on the bucket list for me.  Maybe some day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

taking this into perspective

a 1992 340

a 1998 500

a 2004 600

LOL, in the first paragraph I already started the math, by the second one I was like 'stop being a bitch' and by the third I was reminded of 'buyer beware' and no one made you buy any of these piles of shit.

you got precisely $200 into the red to post this thread.  I spent that just on some gaskets.  remind me again what it is you're bitching about?:lol2:

i know, i know, i needed to rant.  Wife wouldn't listen to me so i was pissy about taking off the make up on this sled and then finding issues, especially from a woman who told me it was in really good shape.  only thing in good shape was her rack.   but i guess i'm anal about caring for my stuff and when someones says to me its in fantastic condition i think:

clutches have been serviced sometime within this 16 year timeframe, sliders (which are 1/32" from being worn down to the rails) have been changed, shocks have been rebuilt (nope), carbides replaced, etc.  But nope,  carbides look like the original duallys and are worn right down to the ski keel.  Bonus is that the primary clutch only needed a cover bushing which i just replaced. 

I like to make money and i just put $300 into it with two new shocks, new sliders and cover bushing.  still have to get carbides FFS.  Now i'll be into it for $500 in parts.  Now im in the red $700 fucking dollars.  Geezus Christ! this things a money pit.

Edited by LexusLover