Sticker shock: Wisconsin customers seeing big gas bills after winter storm crippled Texas

56 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Are any of you stupid troll/morons capable of actually pasting an article instead of a fucking link?  

Go fuck yourself. If you don’t like it then don’t read it. Better yet, I’ll post the link and you can copy and paste the article for me. 

25 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Odd how all fuel prices go up because of a shortage but you still can buy whatever amount you want.

shortage isn't the correct word. Lower inventories vs expected demand is driving prices.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Are any of you stupid troll/morons capable of actually pasting an article instead of a fucking link?  

I prefer a link. Goes to the source, I can decide if I want to see it and if you quote the person you don't fill up the page with the article again. Pretty damn easy for a moron like me.

10 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

I prefer a link. Goes to the source, I can decide if I want to see it and if you quote the person you don't fill up the page with the article again. Pretty damn easy for a moron like me.

Same.  

16 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

shortage isn't the correct word. Lower inventories vs expected demand is driving prices.

Again all bullshit . A 3 day spike is not depleting any up the reserves . We are not fracking as we use it . Just a excuse to fuck the end user 

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’ve been kicking around the idea of a heat pump to replace central air and a heat pump hot water heater...  would lessen my reliance on gas for hot water and winter heat.

Got one for my sun room.  Very happy.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Got one for my sun room.  Very happy.

My furnace is pretty high efficiency but if I had a heat pump with the majority of heating until the coldest days and have the natural gas furnace kick on for those uber cold days.  In the garage a heat pump water heater would also give a bit of air conditioner effect from what I read which would be nice.

I got room for more solar so I could make my heating and cooling damn near free.

23 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Again all bullshit . A 3 day spike is not depleting any up the reserves . We are not fracking as we use it . Just a excuse to fuck the end user 

reserves were already low because of winter. We draw down all winter and replenish all summer. The sudden surge in the south caused increased demand therefor higher prices for a while.

Edited by Big Crappie

23 minutes ago, Big Crappie said:

reserves were already low because of winter. We draw down all winter and replenish all summer. The sudden surge in the south caused increased demand therefor higher prices for a while.

Again just a excuse to gouge every one . 

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Bontz said:

It's his schtick

15 hours ago, BOHICA said:

My furnace is pretty high efficiency but if I had a heat pump with the majority of heating until the coldest days and have the natural gas furnace kick on for those uber cold days.  In the garage a heat pump water heater would also give a bit of air conditioner effect from what I read which would be nice.

I got room for more solar so I could make my heating and cooling damn near free.

It would take a butt load of solar to power a high draw heat pump.

We have dual source heating with gas furnace and a heat pump run off a ground loop.  The heat pump can do the job, but it has high draw demand at the edge especially when starting.  (Scroll ramp up compressors help cut some peak draw.) 

There isn't a magic bullet to fully cover all the living conveniences we have in modern homes. (Unless you really want to spend some money)  A well designed generator system that kicks in for high demand pull might get you a better value.  It can also be your backup source to offset peak power pricing.  We just don't have many plug and play options for the residential consumer.

Changing consumer habits is a hard sell option, but it would be the most cost effective.  Leveling out demand makes most of the problems negligible.  Consistent supply is easier and cheaper to build too.  Unfortunately, I can't see consumers buying the idea on a widespread scale.  There is plenty of bla bla bla coming out the mouths of people that are gung ho on green power.  I can't see them turning off the goodies when it would be effective for the system to work.  Talk is cheap, reality is expensive.

Reliance on any single source or system for comfort is prone to the pitfalls of that source.  We are headed in that direction with electricity and NG being tied together.  Chop some holes in that supply chain and things get real ugly.  Add in the need to back up wind and solar and the system shows some big pitfalls.  The problems in Texas were a sign.  Sadly, their failure is adding to our bills.  This is not the last time we will see this scenario.