850 summerize

Usedtoskidoo

19 minutes ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

does the Polaris 850 have the same summerizing tech as Doo?

It does not.  If you fog your sleds for the summer like I do it's a manual operation.

Yup but I keep a full tank of premium fuel in it with stable but the syphon it out in the fall and put fresh gas in.  The fuel pump is inside the tank and I dont want it to dry out during storage.

FWIW ... you don't necessarily need to go old school by removing a bunch of shit to get the sled fogged.  I'm paraphrasing this from someone else, but the gist of it goes like this:

• Fill gas with premium (non-ethanol if you can) and add your fuel stabilizer.  I use SeaFoam.  Run the sled up to temp to get the fuel into the system.
  • Remove spark plugs and then get your piston to bottom dead center - use a pencil or something you can hold through the plug hole to see the piston reaches BDC
  • Use a 1/16" clear hose, attached to your fogging spray attachment and feed the hose into the transfer ports on each side of the cylinder
  • Spray for 5+ seconds into both transfer ports (both PTO and MAG side)
  • Start the sled for 5-10 secs to get the oil to cover thoroughly
  • Leave until next season when you're ready to run it again
  • Like 1

I cheat, I have digital wrench and manually run the oil pump to flood the bearings. I had a hot wire setup for the 800's, but haven't looked into it for the 850/650

I'm not a fan of stable--fixed too many problems caused by it.

Sea foam is awesome, as is neutra.

make sure there's non-eth fuel in the tank to keep the pump wet. Suck it out in the fall.

store in a dry place. IF you store in a trailer, make sure it's well vented, and open it up once a week!

@fastsleddr - JIm, how does the injection oil do with that type of flooding with the oil pump?  Do you have to do it a couple times during the offseason?  Maybe I'm overthinking things, but it seems like the oil in the tank wouldn't stay coated on the internals for 6+ months?

58 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I just run mine every 2-3 weeks all year round.  Bring it to full operating temp, and make sure the rear cooler hoses are getting warm.

I used that same method for YEARS (with success!), but found myself getting lazier with camping weekends and other activities that kept me distracted from starting my sled as often as I should.  I know, I know ... piss poor excuse!  So I decided to use the method above and fog my last couple sleds so that way I didn't have to worry about starting them.  I plan to keep the new XCR a while, so next year I'll get to revisit the whole summerize process.

• Like 1

Call me old school but I'll pivot the oil tank out of the way and remove the side airbox inlet.  That exposes the throttle bodies where I have a hose with 2 lines teed off and lay each line down in the throttle bodies and spray while the engine is warm.  

Word of caution as we've heard this before.  If you fog down into the spark plug hole put tape around the little plastic tube or better yet use a small hose dropped into the plug hole and insert the little plastic tube into the hose.  Every year we've heard where the small plastic tube came out of the fogging can and dropped down into the cylinder or case.

• Like 1

I did that airbox hole on my Pro R.

AXYS to much for me.I just put that hose on the nipple the plastic straw  goes into, no plastic straw used

Edited by racerdave

54 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I used that same method for YEARS (with success!), but found myself getting lazier with camping weekends and other activities that kept me distracted from starting my sled as often as I should.  I know, I know ... piss poor excuse!  So I decided to use the method above and fog my last couple sleds so that way I didn't have to worry about starting them.  I plan to keep the new XCR a while, so next year I'll get to revisit the whole summerize process.

HA - In my case they sit next to the lawn mower all summer, so they are a distraction with a rope that needs to be pulled!  LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

@fastsleddr - JIm, how does the injection oil do with that type of flooding with the oil pump?  Do you have to do it a couple times during the offseason?  Maybe I'm overthinking things, but it seems like the oil in the tank wouldn't stay coated on the internals for 6+ months?

depends on what oil you use? :pc:

Some oils cling waaay better than others. I just do it once in the spring.

• Like 1