How many here stud their sleds?

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I DONT KNOW HOW D&D MAKES MAGIC TUNES DERRRRRRRRR

fucking moron

You’re not making yourself look smart doing shit like this ya know??

Studs give me more confidence riding aggressive. I can stop quicker and seriously helps in the icy turns and icy roads we run sometimes. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

I've welded enough coolers in my life never again.  Bud just tossed a dubbel backer  set thrugh his cooler in the vr1 

I've studded every sled I've owned for the last 20 some years and on my last ride this year I put my first stud through the heat exchanger. When I got home I had lost 20-25 studs completely on that ride and half of the ones left were loose. It was rock hard conditions in the morning hours. I was riding with a sidewinder and had to show him that the old Zuk was just as quick.....lol

That's the last time I buy stainless studs.

A quick TIG and new Gold diggers for next season.

3 hours ago, f7ben said:

Riding anything bigger than a 440 fan sled without studs is dumb as fuck. Buying a new sled and running without studs is like buying a Z06 and then putting some 245 all seasons on the rear

I studded my son's 440 fan when he was 9. Just safer riding for inexperienced operators. Our area sees so many freeze/thaw periods, its the only way to go.

I stud my own sleds because I hate track spin. I want to feel that hook and the skis getting light.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

35k+- miles in maine and NH over the last 10-15 years makes me not agree with that.   i do like the ice cobra for a little traction to get going on blown off lakes and logging roads that are icy.  

Do you ride in my exact area ? Alot ? Have you tried to get on land from the lake Ambrose cove throughout the winter ? Don’t put your feet diwn as you slide back to lake. Trees will smush’m into your sled. Up to the Castle on my side if Mt Shaw ? Even just two weeks ago, the last weekend it was open for year,  you weren’t gunna get up the 1st qtr -1/2 mile without them.You ridden up in Rumney ? Few times go up short section if pure ice going uphill not far after the clubhouse. 

This is why i mentioned ‘my area.’ I can’t and were for areas I don’t tide or ride much.

:thumbs

Edited by CFM

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I've studded every sled I've owned for the last 20 some years and on my last ride this year I put my first stud through the heat exchanger. When I got home I had lost 20-25 studs completely on that ride and half of the ones left were loose. It was rock hard conditions in the morning hours. I was riding with a sidewinder and had to show him that the old Zuk was just as quick.....lol

That's the last time I buy stainless studs.

A quick TIG and new Gold diggers for next season.

I studded my son's 440 fan when he was 9. Just safer riding for inexperienced operators. Our area sees so many freeze/thaw periods, its the only way to go.

I stud my own sleds because I hate track spin. I want to feel that hook and the skis getting light.

Curious why you’re blaming the stainless studs? I use to only use Fast Trac Top Gun II’s on all of my old trail sleds after I had nothing but problems with Gold Diggers bending/breaking. I did put a set of Woodys signature series stainless studs in a sled for my dad once and those were garbage. Wore right down to nothing in 1000 miles. 

Ive been putting “ice” tracks in my current and all of the rest of the family fleet for years now. Love them. Just enough stud for icy corners and bare lakes. The 2021 Indy that I just picked up has a Rip 2 on it and is unstudded so I may throw 96 in it down the middle on double backers, just because. Once that track takes a dump I’ll put a “ice” track on it as well. If I was building an all out performance trail sled, I would put real studs in that. The taller lug with the molded in studs seem to work great for me though. 

31 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

Just a tip for those having had issues with loose studs. use a torque wrench on them, you'd be surprised how far off you are when tightening them by hand or with any kind of power tool.

Who many Ugga duggas? Asking for a friend? 🤷🏻‍♂️

53 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

Just a tip for those having had issues with loose studs. use a torque wrench on them, you'd be surprised how far off you are when tightening them by hand or with any kind of power tool.

I went through and retorqued a track a few years ago after 100 miles and was able to get a half turn on all of them just going to 15lbs 

8 hours ago, HSR said:

You’re not making yourself look smart doing shit like this ya know??

But wait!  Theres more!   :lol: 

Since I’ve gone to longer tracks and deeper lugs, I am done with studding . I did like the control and the hook up with a well studied track, but these days I’m more about getting through the deep snow than I am lifting the skis on ice.  I put Bergstrom carbide tipped screws on my 1.6 inch cobra track that comes on my backcountry, and it’s perfect for me.

I picked up my 2010 1200 and went straight to a 3 day ride with no studs with 3 other studded 1200's. 40k in we had to run a previously plowed that was glare ice down the middle and those fukkers had a great time watching me ricochet off the banks like a fn bowling ball. I was so puckered I didn't shit for 2 days. I got even though poking snowflaps up on top of their tracks and climbing a few running boards when they had the nerve to hit the brakes. Pricks. I had to ride last and after the 4th or 5th trail side stop I get "why do keep stopping at the front when you gotta ride last ?" Cuz that's where I could the pig to stop for fuck sake. My place is on an island, there's no way to get through winter pulling boggan and wickin around the lake without em, just gotta be smart on portages and bad conditions. Pre-studded is just enough but they are a waste of a 1200 corner to corner. It is amusing to watch the canned up SX wannabee's light up the track in full Multi Braaaap On Bro mode down to the dirt n rocks and shit and then leave a green strip down the trail til they pull over and throw the 509's in the air.