How many here stud their sleds?

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have been running ice series tracks on my past 3 sleds, Never traditional studs and I don't think I ever would on a trail sled

Riding anything bigger than a 440 fan sled without studs is dumb as fuck. Buying a new sled and running without studs is like buying a Z06 and then putting some 245 all seasons on the rear

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, small-bore said:

I've had them studded and non studded. The wind on the lake's Blow's the snow off and leave huge bare sections. It's downright Scarry to hit one of those patches at speed without stud's.

Bingo, I have and flipped a sled in my younger days, studs for me either pre or conventional depending on machine

3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

hardly,  competent and experienced rider can tell the difference between the 2.  lake racing drunks might need studs to make up for a lack of skill

No....I just prefer the hp I pay for to be used to propel the sled forward instead of spin the track. Dumbass

Good luck without studs here. We even have a trail that cones off  the lake where about 1/2 the season, if you have no studs, well, you are screwed. aint happening. You ain’t geting home if you came that eay.

Also we have many steep sections on mtns that thise without studs get stuck or start sliding down backward. Ice from either stream overflows or sun melting top layer.

You don’t always need studs here, but there are too many times each year you do.

Just now, CFM said:

Good luck without studs here. We even have a trail that cones off  the lake where about 1/2 the season, if you have no studs, well, you are screwed. aint happening. You ain’t geting home if you came that eay.

Also we have many steep sections on mtns that thise without studs get stuck or start sliding down backward. Ice from either stream overflows or sun melting top layer.

You don’t always need studs here, but there are too many times each year you do.

35k+- miles in maine and NH over the last 10-15 years makes me not agree with that.   i do like the ice cobra for a little traction to get going on blown off lakes and logging roads that are icy.  

12 minutes ago, CFM said:

Around here, when we'd ride from home during MN's "stud ban", you couldn't ride any paved trail at the time with studs, which was 3 of the 4 ways out of town.  

Just got used to it for the most part.