Best motor in a vehicle that you’ve owned.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I was always impressed with the L31 GM 5700 Vortex 5.7.   Old man had one in a Tahoe right before the 5.3 was introduced.   Pulled great and got good mileage both towing and not.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, D-rail said:

Back in the mid 70's, when I was sporadically attending college, I picked up an old '63 Buick LeSabre for $35. It had the all aluminum 215 cid V-8. We put a thousand miles a week on it just bombing around. It was light, and the big boat of a chassis lent itself to what we came to call "Snowbanking".  Going along the roads, the snowbanks would pile up, and I saw tracks leading into a few, and thought, I can get in further than that!  Soon we were riding the tops of these 12' high snowbanks, and with a half a dozen drunk friends, we had a blast. Once in a while, someone would shovel out a driveway, so we would bounce down to street level, then back up we went, three wipes of the wipers, and we'd shout out, "We're in the clear!".  Didn't matter what side of the road either, some old two lanes we went for one side to the other for hours on end.

The thing was, this engine had a slight water pump leak, and every morning, I'd bring out a box with 6 two liter Coke jugs full of water, and every night, empty the radiator out so as not to let it freeze. If we rode long enough, I knew I had at least five miles once the steam quit spewing before having to stop and refill the radiator. Took this old relic to Indiana, left in the middle of a March snowstorm.  Somewhere in southern Wisconsin, got pulled over for doing 67 in a 55 zone, friends with paid my bail, and away we went, stopped in the middle of Chicago to try to take the elevators to the top of the Sears building, but promptly got chased out. Got to my brothers in Lafayette, Indiana, he hands me two 20 dollar bills and sez let's go get some beer. Fond memories. Drove my girlfriend crazy, she was always saying how we were wasting gas just driving around every night. Could not kill this motor.

You abandoned HCS? 

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

what a bunch of youngsters, '73 Road Runner no fucking emissions bullshit carbed 3 by the knee 8 3/4" posi, a real car not something for the for Gen X+ pussies

I liked the 69's better.

Just now, steve from amherst said:

I liked the 69's better.

well I would have prefered a '69-70 GTX or Road Runner with 440 6pack 4 speed but when you're in high school and paying for you're own toys got to do what you got to do

1 minute ago, 01mxz800 said:

well I would have prefered a '69-70 GTX or Road Runner with 440 6pack 4 speed but when you're in high school and paying for you're own toys got to do what you got to do

true, My high school ride was a 68 mercury couger

• Gold Member

Best motor fun wise any 5.0s I’ve had and gsxr1k fun and also reliable put over 40k on it.

best motor reliability wise my current daily 1.6 versa owned since new currently has 224k still going strong never done nothing but oil changes. My old 4.0l Cherokee and straight 6 f150 both had over 200k and ran perfect too.

1 hour ago, Usedtoskidoo said:

the good one was the 2007 n54. Which was the first year for it. BMW sent those over and they were underrated for HP. They were  Somewhere in the340-350 stock but detuned the next year in 2008

our  B58 is ultra smooth and quick. Has the Power Pack 2 and it runs well.

I still think our N55 has more power but I think the gear ratios seem like it does.

Wifes old escalade with the 6.2 was a sweet motor, ran well, good fuel economy and never had a hiccup. Will See how well my new 6.2 does.

The N54 is an over engineered piece. It was their first attempt at a turbo motor for public consumption. The block and heads will stand up to 700-800hp. It was the peripherals that gave problems. I’ve seen both the “07 and newer models dynod. No real change. The “07 has issues with the mosfet  output transistors in the DME. They’re burning out because they are undersized for the voltage. The “07’s also lack an oil cooler which was a mistake. The best N54 came in the 1M. It had an over boost feature. I kick myself for selling my 1M. It was the coolest car that I ever owned. At the time I sold it I had no idea prices would go as high as they have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Toyota 22r zero question 

Sold it still running with over 300k on it 

The 2GR-FE V6 in that sienna van takes the top award. I sold the vehicle with 260,000. The motor had never been cracked. Last I heard it has over 320,000 with only oil changes. It lived in the northwest before I got it. Vehicles from up there live forever. Not to hot and not too cold. Low salt. It’s the sweet spot for buying a used vehicle. 

2 hours ago, Doorider said:

I sold my 328i with 190k. Water pump and valve cover gasket was all I ever did for the 5 years I had it.  

Can't wait to get the convertible out... been too long...

17 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

I remember the car. Red convertible? Black stripes? 71 or 72?

White convertible, 71.

Its getting fuel injection this year, and quite possibly an 8-71 sitting on top

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member

Best engine is probably my wife’s Volvo.  It also has the best motor.  But that will all change within a year or two....  I think the best engine will be my 572 big block in my antique pickup...  best motor will be my Rivian.

my goal is to not have anything less then 800hp vehicles in my garage besides maybe a Harley livewire.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Highmark said:

I was always impressed with the L31 GM 5700 Vortex 5.7.   Old man had one in a Tahoe right before the 5.3 was introduced.   Pulled great and got good mileage both towing and not.  

why would a retarded know nothing faggot like yourself like such a good engine?  a ford 3 valve triton is more your style