Best motor in a vehicle that you’ve owned.

• Platinum Contributing Member

1. Duramax. 2. 998 Turbo :fluffy: 3. L86  4. Dodge 5.9 Honorable mention only because its not land based. Mercruiser 496 HO.   

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’d have to say it’s the Bavarian N54. Despite all of its flaws, that bitch can be modified cheap to make gobs of power and lots of smiles. The old “80’s style Buick stage 2 Indy motors would be second. 

Odd, my buddy who owns 2 import auto repair facilities tells all of us if you want to spend a shit ton of money on repairs buy a BMW or a Land Rover..:lol:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Odd, my buddy who owns 2 import auto repair facilities tells all of us if you want to spend a shit ton of money on repairs buy a BMW or a Land Rover..:lol:

If you can’t wrench then you have no business owning a bmw. If you have brain damage, you’ll buy a Land Rover. 

24 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’d have to say it’s the Bavarian N54. Despite all of its flaws, that bitch can be modified cheap to make gobs of power and lots of smiles. The old “80’s style Buick stage 2 Indy motors would be second. 

you put a single turbo on it?   

24 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

you put a single turbo on it?   

I’ve had both. I prefer the twin turbo set up for daily use. The last set up was using Pure turbos. That set up was just over 500 wheel hp on a mustang dyno. It had stock mannerisms and superb reliability with 225hp over stock. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe

5.3 Chevy has never given me any troubles. I also had an 89 Lebaron Coupe that had a 2.5 L 4 banger and I drove the hell out of that thing with zero issues.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

41 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If you can’t wrench then you have no business owning a bmw. If you have brain damage, you’ll buy a Land Rover. 

Lol, you crack me up..

Well they all suck, my company vehicle, 2011 escape limited is sitting at 210k I do 250-350mi a day,..it's maintained, but I have to say it's impressive how reliable it's been, easy to drive, good in snow, and it's got decent power.

Cummins 5.9 12 valve. Makes me giggle every time I drive it. Low end torque like a locomotive. 

Voodoo 5.2. Pulls and screams to the moon and back.

Two absolute opposite engines on the spectrum.  

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

the good one was the 2007 n54. Which was the first year for it. BMW sent those over and they were underrated for HP. They were  Somewhere in the340-350 stock but detuned the next year in 2008

our  B58 is ultra smooth and quick. Has the Power Pack 2 and it runs well.

I still think our N55 has more power but I think the gear ratios seem like it does.

Wifes old escalade with the 6.2 was a sweet motor, ran well, good fuel economy and never had a hiccup. Will See how well my new 6.2 does.

Edited by Usedtoskidoo

Back in the mid 70's, when I was sporadically attending college, I picked up an old '63 Buick LeSabre for $35. It had the all aluminum 215 cid V-8. We put a thousand miles a week on it just bombing around. It was light, and the big boat of a chassis lent itself to what we came to call "Snowbanking".  Going along the roads, the snowbanks would pile up, and I saw tracks leading into a few, and thought, I can get in further than that!  Soon we were riding the tops of these 12' high snowbanks, and with a half a dozen drunk friends, we had a blast. Once in a while, someone would shovel out a driveway, so we would bounce down to street level, then back up we went, three wipes of the wipers, and we'd shout out, "We're in the clear!".  Didn't matter what side of the road either, some old two lanes we went for one side to the other for hours on end.

The thing was, this engine had a slight water pump leak, and every morning, I'd bring out a box with 6 two liter Coke jugs full of water, and every night, empty the radiator out so as not to let it freeze. If we rode long enough, I knew I had at least five miles once the steam quit spewing before having to stop and refill the radiator. Took this old relic to Indiana, left in the middle of a March snowstorm.  Somewhere in southern Wisconsin, got pulled over for doing 67 in a 55 zone, friends with paid my bail, and away we went, stopped in the middle of Chicago to try to take the elevators to the top of the Sears building, but promptly got chased out. Got to my brothers in Lafayette, Indiana, he hands me two 20 dollar bills and sez let's go get some beer. Fond memories. Drove my girlfriend crazy, she was always saying how we were wasting gas just driving around every night. Could not kill this motor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Snake said:

3.0 in the BMW. 150k and not 1 hiccup except for a valve cover gasket.

318 in my Ram was unstoppable. 300+k....

I sold my 328i with 190k. Water pump and valve cover gasket was all I ever did for the 5 years I had it.  

Edited by Doorider