ADAPT

Cwhite138

Not that big of a release but Seems kind of cool,  less rotating mass cant be bad. 

I tried really hard to find the meme of the kids holding up fish... but failed. 

http://www.arcticinsider.com/Article/Updated-Inside-Look-ADAPT-Clutch-Interview-with-Kyle-Olason-

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/adapt

19 hours ago, mnstang said:

Seems cool, it's a cat design I guess.. but where is it manufactured?  Does cat actually build it or is it coming from China?

That is the real question. 

I have seen a few exploded cat primary's on the local sledding facebook page. I don't know the age of the sleds.

I mean its different deign and sounds good. 
Being the low price brand doesn't bode well for having it made some where other than China. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at least made from Chinesium and with Chinese parts. Textron simply did this to reduce costs. For the most part, TEAM clutches have been good for Cat. Was anyone clammering for new home made Cat clutches?

Edited by Ziemann

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Well, at least made from Chinesium and with Chinese parts. Textron simply did this to reduce costs. For the most part, TEAM clutches have been good for Cat. Was anyone clammering for new home made Cat clutches?

The truth hurts. 

3 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Theres alot of strain between Cat and Team in regards to the boss driveline , I can say the team clutches on the race wildcats aren't lasting but 2-3 hours before needing buttons and rollers

21 hours ago, fortune46x said:

Theres alot of strain between Cat and Team in regards to the boss driveline , I can say the team clutches on the race wildcats aren't lasting but 2-3 hours before needing buttons and rollers

Is that the fault of the clutches them self? As in shitty manufacturing or is more being demanded on these things than ever before? 

Do other MFG rigs get better life? 

Wonder if different drive trains are going to start being a thing on these vehicles? The mods are staring to get pretty wild. 

2 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Is that the fault of the clutches them self? As in shitty manufacturing or is more being demanded on these things than ever before? 

Do other MFG rigs get better life? 

Wonder if different drive trains are going to start being a thing on these vehicles? The mods are staring to get pretty wild. 

If I had to guess And it is a total guess, The XX has some wild harmonics through the engine and that is a contributing factor , but in the polaris rzr's case where the sheaves were blowing apart - thats piss poor casting.  On my Old X you could see pits on the faces the the clutches, and I had a primary failure then was replaced with a totally new design - still shitty porous castings. 

That being said...

The team tied that most race sleds use are gorgeous with little if any casting flaws that you can see with your eyes , which makes me wonder are they manufacturing the oem high volume parts else where and the lower volume is being done in MN?  - alot of what its and maybes to the subject. 

you guys don't seem to recall the somewhat silent recalls and primary cracks and explosions they had

my guess is, Yamaha had a say in this clutch change

@XCR1250 @Tommcat and a others had some input when the turbotards were blowing theres up on the HCS thread

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/attachments/cpsc-clutch-recall-alert-pdf.2110406/

this was a monster thread

https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/121136-kanedog-discovers-clutching-catastrophy-pics.html?highlight=Kanedog

oh, and IRL2 the vibration situation @fortune46x, it's my opinion that was part of the reason they changed the TCL and top end for 20 & up - there were some harmonic issues a few savvy people sorted out.  also believe there was a ring gear/flywheel, lower engine mount, updates somewhere in the mix if my memory is right.

edit https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/ctech-8000-harmonic-related-issues.1870232/

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommcat said:

the team clutches absolutely suck on the 998, so it really cant be worse.

@Tommcat my impression is that they're reliable on the 2 strokes though? Nothing Oem is probably going to hold up long term on a beast.....

Outside of the TCat/Winder crowd, I haven't read any criticism of the Team clutches. Or am I missing something?

Edited by Ziemann

1 hour ago, Ziemann said:

@Tommcat my impression is that they're reliable on the 2 strokes though? Nothing Oem is probably going to hold up long term on a beast.....

Outside of the TCat/Winder crowd, I haven't read any criticism of the Team clutches. Or am I missing something?

They are definitely taxed beyond their limits on big power turbos, and i fully admit that we dont do much with the smaller 2 stroke stuff so they may be holding up better and i just dont see it.

But, the failures we see on the turbos are way beyond a simple power difference. 

When the entire moveable sheaves are exiting the vehicle, thats a pretty big deal. 

Our fix for them is to throw them in the trash on day one.

• 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Is it against the rules here to post a link to that thread?

Krom did a nice job......

@Not greg b Your impression of the clutch?

It looks like a better clutch than what they are using now. We got 2 seasons out of a team on our 16 before the primary was completely shot. I like how you don’t need to use monster weights in it and the spider is easily removed to rebuild it.

• Like 1

Better late than never, I finally got my hands on one to check out. Honestly the castings and machine work are beautiful.
Here are a couple pictures with my guess to how it works. The water marks are my little fuck you to VS.

0.jpg

Cover off, spring out shows the bolts holding the spider on, and holes that the weights come through

1.jpg

Plastic washer that spring cover hits at full shift, to keep sheaves from wearing on each other

2.jpg

Spider off, shows the snap ring that the plastic washer rests on, and the steel nut that retains the idler bearing, and gives the spider a place to bolt to

3.jpg

Closer view of the spider, the buttons are in their own little carrier, that rides on a pin, retained by a roll pin

4.jpg

5.jpg

Bottom view of the spider, the carrier for the buttons is free to move on its pin, and the rollers are easily changed by removing a small retaining screw

6.jpg

And a close up of the moveable sheave showing the casting rib that the weight notch goes around

7.jpg

The weight, washers, retaining screw, and pin. The bushing, and roller surface are quite wide. Notice the notch to clear a rib in the moveable sheave. This clutch is off an 800, and runs a 66g weight. The pivot pin is further from the crankshaft, allowing a lighter weight to apply the required force.

8.jpg

Edited by krom
  • Like 3

IMO the team clutches are junk.  There is a design failure that causes heat build up and cracking.

If you have one keep a close eye on the base of both sheaves.  I've got a friend who's 998 launched pieces of one into low earth orbit, and some into the ground.  Clutch was less than a year old.

ADAPT primary is currently made in 30mm and 33mm, so once weights and springs become more available it should be able to work on most everything besides the 1000 twin, and 1100 turbo

• Like 2

Nice work, @krom

That tells me that Cat's engineering team is alive and well!

Cat should have spent more time marketing this new clutch. 

Edited by Ziemann