how...?

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

It really hasn’t. HCS slowly seemed like it’s become a cry magnet for a lot of inexperienced sledders over the past couple of years or, new members just looking for a quick solution then, they vanish.  Personally, I’m tired of regurgitating basic sled shit that is covered in the owners manual to people that only own a household kitchen tool kit.  I’ve actually seen a lot of “advice” just basically telling the person asking for help to find a closer/better/cheaper/second opinion from a dealer.  I just smile....and move on.  

Dumb fucks just want to circle jerk on what new sled they are buying and what bolt on shit they will need to hold their dildos and other accessories.  

If I wasn't so poor love to make a build thread on something... Its hard to remember to doc stuff too when you get in the zone working on something. I make install instructions for work and it takes 4X as long than just doing the install, just to get the pictures. let alone the write up.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Dumb fucks just want to circle jerk on what new sled they are buying and what bolt on shit they will need to hold their dildos and other accessories.  

If I wasn't so poor love to make a build thread on something... Its hard to remember to doc stuff too when you get in the zone working on something. I make install instructions for work and it takes 4X as long than just doing the install, just to get the pictures. let alone the write up.  

HCS will be another Dootalk soon.

Over the years, like many, I tried to take pics and document some fixes, fabrications or mods I’ve made.  There’s a lot of us that still do and share all this info with one another.  Unfortunately, most getting into motorsports now just think their $15k sled and maintenance done at the dealer will be their their thang...and it will be.

• Thanks 1

It took way longer than we were told, but those who said VS would ultimately ruin HCS were correct.  I don't know how many years it's been since ODS Dan sold it, but I'm guessing the better part of 10-12?  Anyway, I just don't see guys from HCS abandoning ship and joining FS ... even if we start getting the non-bashing / sled specific stuff going.  I hope I'm wrong!  But I really think it's one of those "change sucks" deals and people feeling comfortable over there.  And let's be honest, there's STILL some good content over there - ya just gotta search for it.

There's plenty of Homers over there ... from Ramstad to Patriotic Phil.  As much as I'd enjoy seeing them show up on FS, I really don't care if they do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Over the years, like many, I tried to take pics and document some fixes, fabrications or mods I’ve made.  There’s a lot of us that still do and share all this info with one another.  Unfortunately, most getting into motorsports now just think their $15k sled and maintenance done at the dealer will be their their thang...and it will be.

The point of entry is so high the people getting new sleds are not the same people that work on stuff... most the time.. 

Also there are some nice deals on newer cat SX starting to appear on my facebook feed. get after it.. image.png.2b7272ee4a2ddb21f1790ddb68f3bac8.png

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I tried to break into doing some of that sled “maintenance” work, on the side at home. Turns out, most people want it done for pennies on the dollar, want you to rebuild the clutch on their 89 Mach 1 or want to borrow your tools to do it themselves. And we have VERY few powersports shops/dealers in my area. Oh well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

It took way longer than we were told, but those who said VS would ultimately ruin HCS were correct.  I don't know how many years it's been since ODS Dan sold it, but I'm guessing the better part of 10-12?  Anyway, I just don't see guys from HCS abandoning ship and joining FS ... even if we start getting the non-bashing / sled specific stuff going.  I hope I'm wrong!  But I really think it's one of those "change sucks" deals and people feeling comfortable over there.  And let's be honest, there's STILL some good content over there - ya just gotta search for it.

There's plenty of Homers over there ... from Ramstad to Patriotic Phil.  As much as I'd enjoy seeing them show up on FS, I really don't care if they do.

Well, this was just a bit more than changing the format a "smidge".  We know exactly what it was and is.  FIne.  Another liberal take down of "mean speech" and those that won't enforce their censorship models.  Fine.  It's their site, they can run it how they want.  I don't miss it even a little.  

2 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

The point of entry is so high the people getting new sleds are not the same people that work on stuff... most the time.. 

Also there are some nice deals on newer cat SX starting to appear on my facebook feed. get after it.. image.png.2b7272ee4a2ddb21f1790ddb68f3bac8.png

Yeah, but those 19 hours of "well maintained" vary from team to team tremendously.  Some of these racers are just plain clapped the fuck out.  Hell, when some of the other teams identify somebody else's barn as "zip tie/duct tape central", well......

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I tried to break into doing some of that sled “maintenance” work, on the side at home. Turns out, most people want it done for pennies on the dollar, want you to rebuild the clutch on their 89 Mach 1 or want to borrow your tools to do it themselves. And we have VERY few powersports shops/dealers in my area. Oh well. 

There are a few around here that'll do some work at better rates than dealers and do one hell of a job.  But yeah, I can't imagine explaining prices to somebody on what it takes to do some of this stuff.  They think because it's 'just a toy" that it shouldn't take much or cost much compared to a motor vehicle.  I mean....learn to do some stuff yourself or accept the fact that you are going to pay $100/ hr plus parts to a dealer or shop to do it.

if you ever do a search for any issues related to sleds, the two most popular sites that pop up for answers are HCS and SnoWest.  This site is more, IMO, of a site where guys sit down over a beer and fatty and talk women, bash each other and the odd time bring up sleds and shit.  If FS wants any pull in the google search, they will have to pay for the bump,  as well as get a heck of a lot more traffic generated in the how to or WTF happened to my sled threads.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Actually did quite well last year selectively working on older sleds the dealers no longer wanted to work on.  There was some real rough sleds I turned away.  Even worked on a couple decent RXL's and Thunder cats.  Again was selective what I took though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Doug said:

Actually did quite well last year selectively working on older sleds the dealers no longer wanted to work on.  There was some real rough sleds I turned away.  Even worked on a couple decent RXL's and Thunder cats.  Again was selective what I took though.

I am too. That’s why I got nothing to work on. All anyone wanted to bring me was clapped out shit. 

Any posts on the snowmobile side would definitely help, but I really don't see FS or any forum growing much. VS knows that, and is banking on Google searches paying the bills. Clean up HCS and sit back and collect the cash.

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

FSv1.0 was started after Dan sold out to VS. That was 2008 if memory serves. SledNH and QiebecRider were both started in 2006 when Dan's staff wasn't moderating the state and provincial forums very well. Rob even emailed Dan about the NH, VT and Quebec forums specifically a few times about it, and it still wasn't addressed. So, two new sites were born.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I am too. That’s why I got nothing to work on. All anyone wanted to bring me was clapped out shit. 

Helped a guy on a couple of newer crashed sleds.  It's easier when it's at his shop and you can just leave at night.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

i'll turn away customers here and there, but it has nothing to do with the sled, it's 100% the person that gets the boot.

we take in a lot of pretty old stuff and as long as the customer realizes that it isnt going to be 50 bucks to replace their 30 year old fuel system, we take them in.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

imo, how to keep them running at Stage 0 is a ton of help to most, then upgrades and minor modifications.  most people today don't know how to open the hood of their car/truck to add washer solvent.  that's apparent to me IRL and on the web.  then there's the idiots giving suggestions of parts to replace to even bigger idiots.  @mnstang ,a few others and I get some really good laughs and also get frustrated by these jackwads on FB ACTR - and I'm sure there are comparable Doo & Poo FaceTooBook pages.  HCS from what I've seen lurking is the same, there's like 14 people left there that have a clue.  anyway, if people here can give solid beta in the brand specific forums - this place has a chance.   

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

troubled waters ahead man, we have multiple generations in which most lack the common sense to change a light bulb or turn off a leaking toilet at the tank.  it's a society 'we' have created.

10 hours ago, Bontz said:

and there's some folks here that missed it so much they created dupe accounts.  miright?  :)

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Well, this was just a bit more than changing the format a "smidge".  We know exactly what it was and is.  FIne.  Another liberal take down of "mean speech" and those that won't enforce their censorship models.  Fine.  It's their site, they can run it how they want.  I don't miss it even a little.  

Yeah, but those 19 hours of "well maintained" vary from team to team tremendously.  Some of these racers are just plain clapped the fuck out.  Hell, when some of the other teams identify somebody else's barn as "zip tie/duct tape central", well......

There are a few around here that'll do some work at better rates than dealers and do one hell of a job.  But yeah, I can't imagine explaining prices to somebody on what it takes to do some of this stuff.  They think because it's 'just a toy" that it shouldn't take much or cost much compared to a motor vehicle.  I mean....learn to do some stuff yourself or accept the fact that you are going to pay $100/ hr plus parts to a dealer or shop to do it.

I do the vast majority of my own work but when I burned down the 720 I got ahold of a young guy I used to work with that is the polar opposite of most twenty somethings today and hauled it out to his heated shop to tear it down with him where it sat for months waiting to get the custom parts back.  when he gave me a price for his work I told him that it wasn't enough and suggested that he shouldn't be afraid to charge more for his time and skills, then handed him a stack of bills which exceeded what he asked for.  worth every penny to me and hopefully in the future if he continues working on sleds, bikes, atv's and shit of this nature on the side he's not afraid to ask to be paid for his skills and can turn away idiots who want something for nothing... including me.  honestly, this young man can probably go work anyplace he wants as his fab skills are top notch and he won't cut corners... a complete rarity in this world right now.

4 hours ago, Tommcat said:

i'll turn away customers here and there, but it has nothing to do with the sled, it's 100% the person that gets the boot.

we take in a lot of pretty old stuff and as long as the customer realizes that it isnt going to be 50 bucks to replace their 30 year old fuel system, we take them in.

rightfully so, some customers need to get fired before they even walk in the door.  your skills, time and talent shouldn't be 'cheap' unless the quality of your work is.  what's amazing is that most folks will never gripe about a plumbing or heating repair bill but when it comes to their cars/trucks/toys some will they act liked they are being robbed at gun point.  at times it's fun pointing out to customers that for the $110-140 we charge in places I've worked that unlike a plumber with a van and canvas bag, or an electrican with a van and canvas bag who isn't afraid to charge similar rates that in the vehicle repair industry the technology we deal with changes with frequency, that the specialized tools, diagnostic equipment shop and overhead don't even come close to comparison and that our industry it's not as simple as shit runs down hill, red is hot or 'hot', blue is cold, black is ground and what we repair for them will be obsolete in three to five years and we get to purchase all the same tools and equipment again.  

good lord, I could keep going and better stop.  in closing, most people today are fucking idiots.

18 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

and there's some folks here that missed it so much they created dupe accounts.  miright?  :)

Yup - guilty as charged (or inferred) :lol:  Partly because I wanted to see how difficult it would be, and how long it would take, to be "detected" (because let's face it, I couldn't have made it much more obvious).  But also because I really had a desire to poke fun at the likes of idiots like your fellow Cat diehard, Ramstad.

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

imo, how to keep them running at Stage 0 is a ton of help to most, then upgrades and minor modifications.  most people today don't know how to open the hood of their car/truck to add washer solvent.  that's apparent to me IRL and on the web.  then there's the idiots giving suggestions of parts to replace to even bigger idiots.  @mnstang ,a few others and I get some really good laughs and also get frustrated by these jackwads on FB ACTR - and I'm sure there are comparable Doo & Poo FaceTooBook pages.  HCS from what I've seen lurking is the same, there's like 14 people left there that have a clue.  anyway, if people here can give solid beta in the brand specific forums - this place has a chance.   

troubled waters ahead man, we have multiple generations in which most lack the common sense to change a light bulb or turn off a leaking toilet at the tank.  it's a society 'we' have created.

I do the vast majority of my own work but when I burned down the 720 I got ahold of a young guy I used to work with that is the polar opposite of most twenty somethings today and hauled it out to his heated shop to tear it down with him where it sat for months waiting to get the custom parts back.  when he gave me a price for his work I told him that it wasn't enough and suggested that he shouldn't be afraid to charge more for his time and skills, then handed him a stack of bills which exceeded what he asked for.  worth every penny to me and hopefully in the future if he continues working on sleds, bikes, atv's and shit of this nature on the side he's not afraid to ask to be paid for his skills and can turn away idiots who want something for nothing... including me.  honestly, this young man can probably go work anyplace he wants as his fab skills are top notch and he won't cut corners... a complete rarity in this world right now.

rightfully so, some customers need to get fired before they even walk in the door.  your skills, time and talent shouldn't be 'cheap' unless the quality of your work is.  what's amazing is that most folks will never gripe about a plumbing or heating repair bill but when it comes to their cars/trucks/toys some will they act liked they are being robbed at gun point.  at times it's fun pointing out to customers that for the $110-140 we charge in places I've worked that unlike a plumber with a van and canvas bag, or an electrican with a van and canvas bag who isn't afraid to charge similar rates that in the vehicle repair industry the technology we deal with changes with frequency, that the specialized tools, diagnostic equipment shop and overhead don't even come close to comparison and that our industry it's not as simple as shit runs down hill, red is hot or 'hot', blue is cold, black is ground and what we repair for them will be obsolete in three to five years and we get to purchase all the same tools and equipment again.  

good lord, I could keep going and better stop.  in closing, most people today are fucking idiots.

I know a lot of electricians and plumbers that are rolling in money, i dont know any mechanics that are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bontz said:

Yup - guilty as charged (or inferred) :lol:  Partly because I wanted to see how difficult it would be, and how long it would take, to be "detected" (because let's face it, I couldn't have made it much more obvious).  But also because I really had a desire to poke fun at the likes of idiots like your fellow Cat diehard, Ramstad.

guess who's back... :lol2:

5 minutes ago, Tommcat said:

I know a lot of electricians and plumbers that are rolling in money, i dont know any mechanics that are.

same, but they were smart enough to unionize.  guy I went to HS with is a pipe fitter and does fire suppression systems, he makes stupid $ - my younger brother is an electrician and also does well.   there's only a few techs I've supervised over the past few decades that even come close.  the best part is what most 'mechanics' have invested in their toolboxes and tools in comparison.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

A good mechanic can make over 100k, to me that is good money.  Can you work easier for more, I'm sure.  Whatever.  If I had a dollar for every mechanic I've heard complaining I would own Textron.  There's some other perks of being a mechanic too.

And yes there are many idiots out there.

16 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Having the experience to tell what people to turn a ways is the key to success. 

When I worked the counter the off road shop my buddy was so fucking good at that... he could have way less stuff going though the shop and make more money.  
I would get caught up in the weird stuff not knowing the dude was all talk and a cheap ass.... 

I did some work at home out of my shop, welding frames on shit box's... Until a job cost me because of a douche bag that doesn't get It i still had a full time job. 
every one always has an easy fix...