So who's buying and what are you buying

Doug

48 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Yeah, it was a rental. I think I’ll be giving the Ice Storm a try. I put an Ice Attack XT on the wife’s Classic and it seems like it’s a really hard durameter track. It makes a TON of noise. The only thing that I DONT want is a sled that runs warm all the time because of a tall lug track, shit snow conditions and slow speeds when riding with the wife and her family. I HATE scratchers on a trail sled too. So I am still torn between an Attack and a Storm. 

The place in your link is $10 cheaper than Snow City MI. That’s where I’ve gotten all of my tracks in recent history. 

129 or 137?   If the Ice Storm was an option for mine I probably would have bought one and left the SX gearing in it.  Spend the extra $ on DuPont Vespel slides. 

Gearing is interesting.  They list the 600 SP 137 with 22/41 (1.25) but the 600 XC 137 (1.5) with 20/39 - same as all the sleds with 1.5/1.6/1.75  My friends 600 Assault 1.25 pulled well with 22/41 fwiw.

CB for my 128 IA XT was $60-100 less when I bought it for some reason?  maybe Covid :dunno:

edit:  also, for you or anyone else with an Indy 600/800/850 that runs warm or if you want to drop underhood temps - read this.  cheap and easy mod.
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/cross-contry/setup-information/2021-permitted-additional-factory-600-cross-country-2021-venting-w-templates.pdf?v=89142f36

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

129 or 137?   If the Ice Storm was an option for mine I probably would have bought one and left the SX gearing in it.  Spend the extra $ on DuPont Vespel slides. 

Gearing is interesting.  They list the 600 SP 137 with 22/41 (1.25) but the 600 XC 137 (1.5) with 20/39 - same as all the sleds with 1.5/1.6/1.75  My friends 600 Assault 1.25 pulled well with 22/41 fwiw.

CB for my 128 IA XT was $60-100 less when I bought it for some reason?  maybe Covid :dunno:

edit:  also, for you or anyone else with an Indy 600/800/850 that runs warm or if you want to drop underhood temps - read this.  cheap and easy mod.
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/cross-contry/setup-information/2021-permitted-additional-factory-600-cross-country-2021-venting-w-templates.pdf?v=89142f36

137. My temp issues always stem from lack of snow on the coolers and lack of coolers themselves. 600 HO Fusions always struggled with coolant temp issues. I could literally feel the difference in the sled, when the trail would get thin because even with all of the extra wheels I was running, I could feel the hyfax drag more. Click the temp gauge up and it was running 10-15 degrees warmer already. Hit a patch of good snow, all was gone just as fast. Try to crawl through the woods with the women in the family, it was always running warm. Even if it was cold and there was good snow.

That’s the biggest thing that I’m trying to avoid with this sled. With the full length tunnel coolers, and the front tunnel cooler, I’m guessing this sled will be harder to overheat like that but in general, a taller lug track will run warmer in a situation as I described, in my experiences. So, while the 1.22” track will get the job done, the 1.5” track would probably be a little more fun. But then there is the gear down factor and the fact that this sled will always just be on a groomed trail. 

Every Indy rider has thus far told me to go Storm but they are all riding 800/850’s too. I’m sure the 600 would do just fine with it, as long as it’s geared down to compensate, but eh, decisions, decisions. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

On 4/2/2021 at 5:14 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Finally got it home today. It definitely needs a bath and a good going over. 16 hours of driving to get it home. Left yesterday at 3:30, crashed in Hancock for the night, grabbed the sled when they opened at 8 am, on the road home by 8:30, rolled in the driveway just before 5 pm tonight. 

6EF00FC2-C138-459C-A674-85F57C7EADFC.jpeg

That XC600 SP color combo is a good looking sled.

3 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Yeah, it was a rental. I think I’ll be giving the Ice Storm a try. I put an Ice Attack XT on the wife’s Classic and it seems like it’s a really hard durameter track. It makes a TON of noise. The only thing that I DONT want is a sled that runs warm all the time because of a tall lug track, shit snow conditions and slow speeds when riding with the wife and her family. I HATE scratchers on a trail sled too. So I am still torn between an Attack and a Storm. 

The place in your link is $10 cheaper than Snow City MI. That’s where I’ve gotten all of my tracks in recent history. 

Why not a studded Cobra 1.35?

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Doug said:

I was thinking the same dealer in Hancock Wisconsin.  K & M

I think I have asked this before. Is this K&M on the east of North 51 just before a exit? Also not far from a big campground on the west side of 51, that has a lot of inflatables in their pond?

36 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Never really been a 1.352 Cobra fan. 

I want enough traction for glare ice, otherwise I would be fine with an unstudded track. 

Cobra is $515ish. 96 studs is $200-250. Ice Attak or Ice Cobra is $595ish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

137. My temp issues always stem from lack of snow on the coolers and lack of coolers themselves. 600 HO Fusions always struggled with coolant temp issues. I could literally feel the difference in the sled, when the trail would get thin because even with all of the extra wheels I was running, I could feel the hyfax drag more. Click the temp gauge up and it was running 10-15 degrees warmer already. Hit a patch of good snow, all was gone just as fast. Try to crawl through the woods with the women in the family, it was always running warm. Even if it was cold and there was good snow.

That’s the biggest thing that I’m trying to avoid with this sled. With the full length tunnel coolers, and the front tunnel cooler, I’m guessing this sled will be harder to overheat like that but in general, a taller lug track will run warmer in a situation as I described, in my experiences. So, while the 1.22” track will get the job done, the 1.5” track would probably be a little more fun. But then there is the gear down factor and the fact that this sled will always just be on a groomed trail. 

Every Indy rider has thus far told me to go Storm but they are all riding 800/850’s too. I’m sure the 600 would do just fine with it, as long as it’s geared down to compensate, but eh, decisions, decisions. 

I hear you, but added scratchers to the 720 after burning it down for when it's necessary, also added panel venting and a temp gauge (rather than a 'you overcooked it' light) to avoid it happening again.  I don't know that you'd have to re-gear it but recalled seeing different gearing for the Indy's based on track lug height in the parts fiche for different models.  The main reason I would go for the 1.5" is that I know you like to ride the Yoop and the Storm seems to be a favorite for guys that trail ride up there in good snow conditions.  Heck, there's several Cat guys with 137's that switched out their Rip2's for Storms and gave rave reviews.  It's just those low snow, rock hard riding conditions you really need to watch out for and make sure anyone who's riding takes a look at the temp on occasion.  Lot of guys using the latest BRP tunnel mounted scratchers which you can reverse.  If it was me in your shoes I wouldn't think twice about doing to panel vent mod and adding scratchers.  

https://shop.ski-doo.com/us/en/snowmobile-accessories/snowflaps-ice-scratchers-air-radiator-kits/ice-scratchers.html

I used Cat scratchers, to help continue supporting Textron :lmao:

Will also add a set to the 500 next year.

21 minutes ago, racerdave said:

which imo and if I were buying a 'new' sled would be my first choice for trail riding - Cobra is a great track.  I just wanted to try an ice track, get rid of the 14"W 1" lug speed track and since Camso made the 128 Cobra 'a Polaris exclusive' track, the price went up significantly, I re-geared, went 1.22" and want to see how well I can get this one to top-end.  jury is still out with me on the Ice Attak as I only got one ride on it in loose fresh snow which with a Cobra is fantastic.  most of our trails are groomed and smooth and it's going to be a limited use sled.   

thumbnail_IMG_4974.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4809.jpg

DSCN0140.JPG

17 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Never really been a 1.352 Cobra fan. 

I want enough traction for glare ice, otherwise I would be fine with an unstudded track. 

Cobra is $515ish. 96 studs is $200-250. Ice Attak or Ice Cobra is $595ish. 

Ice Storm right?  1.5 ctr of belt and 1.25 on outer lugs.  39lbs w/144 pins

Ice Cobra is a piece of shit on ice (according to most) and has far less pins. 43/45lbs w/104 pins 

Ice Attak XT is 42lbs w/256pins

interesting that they list the Ice Storm being that much lighter but less pins and an entirely different lug layout

(my 128" Ice Attak XT in 2.52P is 42lbs and has 272 pins)

Yes ice storm not ice cobra. Had an ice cobra on my fusion when it was still a 136/7 and it was a great off trail trail. Not my favorite on trail though.

I would definitely run the 1.5” track gearing if I went with the Storm. Hell I use to run 22/41 in my Fusion with the 121” track. Love that corner to corner pull. 

I usually only go to the UP to ride off trail. Wife’s family has a place in the northern lower where I do 95% of my trail riding. With these shitty winters that may change a little though. 

Scratchers irritate me on my RMK where they are a necessity at times. I’d rather not have to deal with them on my trail sled. I like the Doo tunnel mounts but not sure if they work on the Axys Indy tunnels. 

3 hours ago, racerdave said:

I think I have asked this before. Is this K&M on the east of North 51 just before a exit? Also not far from a big campground on the west side of 51, that has a lot of inflatables in their pond?

Yes my friend use to own it before K&M bought it about 20 years ago and Fastsledders nephew works there I believe.

16 hours ago, Doug said:

Yes my friend use to own it before K&M bought it about 20 years ago and Fastsledders nephew works there I believe.

Thanks, Doug. That campground looks fun.

Ordered XHD torsions, mid height deep snow white windshield and the larger Polaris windshield bag for it today. Going to start the search for a proper dual rate spring set for the front skid shock as well. I will make a decision on the front springs/shocks after I ride it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Ordered XHD torsions, mid height deep snow white windshield and the larger Polaris windshield bag for it today. Going to start the search for a proper dual rate spring set for the front skid shock as well. I will make a decision on the front springs/shocks after I ride it. 

You putting handguards on it? Rox had them on sail for $174.  Scored a set for the XCR

11 minutes ago, A05GSHO said:

You putting handguards on it? Rox had them on sail for $174.  Scored a set for the XCR

Yes. I get my discount on them from Paul. Going white/red/black to match the rest of the sled. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:44 AM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

lot of Cat guys were swapping to the triple rate Raptor fts springs and seemed to like them.

https://www.raptorshocks.com/product-category/triple-rate-springs/

pretty sure I'm ordering a dual rate setup from Hygear for the 500 when I put the Zero X's on after Carver revalves them.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, Doug said:

yep, Ken and Mark own it. 

Yep, my nephew is head tech.

I buy all my new sleds, and ATV's there.

I work closely with them.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:10 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

lot of Cat guys were swapping to the triple rate Raptor fts springs and seemed to like them.

https://www.raptorshocks.com/product-category/triple-rate-springs/

pretty sure I'm ordering a dual rate setup from Hygear for the 500 when I put the Zero X's on after Carver revalves them.

Will probably do a dual rate fts spring set from Hygear as well. 

Anybody not able to get their sleds ordered.  Seeing on other forums guys that were waiting and thought it was just a markets ploy now cannot get the sleds they wanted ordered and now are upset. 

26 minutes ago, Doug said:

Anybody not able to get their sleds ordered.  Seeing on other forums guys that were waiting and thought it was just a markets ploy now cannot get the sleds they wanted ordered and now are upset. 

I guess they really didn't want a sled then ... boo f'ing hoo, I say.  The program was due to end on April 15th anyway, right (Polaris, that is)?  So why in the hell would a person wait until then if they know they want a sled.  That makes zero sense to me.

4 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I guess they really didn't want a sled then ... boo f'ing hoo, I say.  The program was due to end on April 15th anyway, right (Polaris, that is)?  So why in the hell would a person wait until then if they know they want a sled.  That makes zero sense to me.

The best part will be when they start whining next winter that the snow check shows up late, and they already sold their old sled before they got the new one.  

17 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I was fighting the urge to sell the VR1 from this year and get a VR1 650 for my wife.  Ordered my 2022 XCR 850 back in March and planned to have my wife drive the VR1 from this year but a guy wanted to buy it now.  Guess we'll stay with the original plan now and I'm good with that. I know they're doing some fine tuning on the 650 for 2022 and has my curiosity up on it.