Where the fuck is Zambroski??

29 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Lol yeah.

Many have come and gone.

There's operators and there's good operators.

Clutching guru, super mechanic that sells a car over a loose bolt and now equipment operator.

Your awesomeness knows no bounds.

You can't make this shit up!

:lol:

I’ve operated equipment that could fit your dozer inside of it you fucking imbecile 

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

I could teach him how to operate a dozer in under 8 hours proficiently. In fact any mouth breather could learn it in a day

i was really good at working the skidsteer at my last job. was fun, the scariest moments were always moving the 55 gal barrels of waste oil across the yard. that's what i used to help install the 7.3 powerstroke into the f450 tow truck as the engine hoist was way too small for that engine

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, FrankieJames7 said:

ase is a joke. business owners are fucking retarded for putting so much emphasis on such bs. im not too interested in working for someone else when i get 100 dollars an hour fixing people's cars employing myself. a few thousand dollars more invested in tools and a growing customer base i will have money and a reputation. the entire auto industry is fucked if you are working for someone else. 

I agree ASE and ICAR are both a joke but my boss pays for it so I don’t care I’ll take the test. I’ve seen good techs not pass a test because they can’t read well or whatever but they are amazing techs. Then you get some retard that can’t change a brake pad pass with flying colors. 15hr is what the oil jockeys get around here. Any competent tech is making 80-120k around here if your working in a city or suburb.

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Get ASE certified and you’ll have a job forever.  My son in law got hired by an Infiniti dealer and 

they paid for it.  Hes doing pretty well last few years, now he’s looking to buy a Cornwall Tools truck.

Don’t let him do it! I think we’ve gone through 4-5 Cornwall, Mac, guys they never last. We get a guy that seems to do ok NOMAC he basically sells all the brands ingersoll rand, Leslie, etc anything that say northern tools would sell. Everyone I work with buys from him 90% of the time then snap on now and then. If he got a truck selling that I think he’d do pretty good.

33 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I agree ASE and ICAR are both a joke but my boss pays for it so I don’t care I’ll take the test. I’ve seen good techs not pass a test because they can’t read well or whatever but they are amazing techs. Then you get some retard that can’t change a brake pad pass with flying colors. 15hr is what the oil jockeys get around here. Any competent tech is making 80-120k around here if your working in a city or suburb.

shops around here are slow to catch up with the rising wages. i made 13 dollars an hour at midas where i was an oil tech. the greed in this town is unreal. my relationship with my old boss where i was a full on tech might get repaired. he towed out my car after i crashed it a few weeks ago for no money up front, any other tow company would have impounded it. i may work for him again but my basic life needs are going to have to be met + some

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, FrankieJames7 said:

shops around here are slow to catch up with the rising wages. i made 13 dollars an hour at midas where i was an oil tech. the greed in this town is unreal. my relationship with my old boss where i was a full on tech might get repaired. he towed out my car after i crashed it a few weeks ago for no money up front, any other tow company would have impounded it. i may work for him again but my basic life needs are going to have to be met + some

Are there flat rate shops out there? The hourly shops around here don’t pay shit from ones I’ve applied for in the past. If you can beat book time and get in at a busy shop the money is in flat rate. Most people that bash flat rate work usually suck lol don’t get me wrong you get bad weeks here and there but you also get very good weeks. My average hours a week is 86hrs for last year and I only work 35 actual hrs a week 4 day work week. You just gotta find a busy shop and bust your ass and you can make good money. This is body work though mechanical maybe little different but the few mechanical things I do bother doing suspension stuff usually I can usually beat book time

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Are there flat rate shops out there? The hourly shops around here don’t pay shit from ones I’ve applied for in the past. If you can beat book time and get in at a busy shop the money is in flat rate. Most people that bash flat rate work usually suck lol don’t get me wrong you get bad weeks here and there but you also get very good weeks. My average hours a week is 86hrs for last year and I only work 35 actual hrs a week 4 day work week. You just gotta find a busy shop and bust your ass and you can make good money. This is body work though mechanical maybe little different but the few mechanical things I do bother doing suspension stuff usually I can usually beat book time

all shops out here are flat rate and i am a flat rate tech self employed. i have an identifix subscription but an going mitchel because autozone makes it 20 dollars a month if you have a commercial account over there. the only times i charge on the clock is if during diagnostics, custom work, or if some dumbass took something apart and cant put it back together. i changed the engine in a montero and got paid an s10 blazer. i should have asked for more considering i had to spend 10 hours just looking for bolts, the dude had it taken apart and scattered for a year, he lucked the fuck out when i seen he dropped a bolt o couldn't find in between the timing belt and crank gear. was an old man losing his touch, was a good mechanic and had lots of tools but was just getting too old. being paid 100 dollars an hour i don't focus on beating the time, i focus on doing a good job. you're right money is in flat rate, but it doesn't lead to a quality repair because so many hacks love to fuck shit up in order to save 10 minutes

Edited by FrankieJames7

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, FrankieJames7 said:

all shops out here are flat rate and i am a flat rate tech self employed. i have an identifix subscription but an going mitchel because autozone makes it 20 dollars a month if you have a commercial account over there. the only times i charge on the clock is if during diagnostics, custom work, or if some dumbass took something apart and cant put it back together. i changed the engine in a montero and got paid an s10 blazer. i should have asked for more considering i had to spend 10 hours just looking for bolts, the dude had it taken apart and scattered for a year, he lucked the fuck out when i seen he dropped a bolt o couldn't find in between the timing belt and crank gear. was an old man losing his touch, was a good mechanic and had lots of tools but was just getting too old. being paid 100 dollars an hour i don't focus on beating the time, i focus on doing a good job. you're right money is in flat rate, but it doesn't lead to a quality repair because so many hacks love to fuck shit up in order to save 10 minutes

That’s definitely true lotta hacks in flat rate. The hacks give the good fast guys a bad name though the ones that know the tricks of the trade and were you can save time not having to hack. Experience and organization getting it right the first time and no comebacks makes you fast and a money maker. I always say you can tell a hack by there junk draw how much “spare” hardware is in it lol. Good for you though starting a business in this industry that isn’t easy and I know I sure as hell wouldn’t want that headache.

Edited by 800renegaderider

36 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s definitely true lotta hacks in flat rate. The hacks give the good fast guys a bad name though the ones that know the tricks of the trade and were you can save time not having to hack. Experience and organization getting it right the first time and no comebacks makes you fast and a money maker. I always say you can tell a hack by there junk draw how much “spare” hardware is in it lol. Good for you though starting a business in this industry that isn’t easy and I know I sure as hell wouldn’t want that headache.

get on facebook market place and craigslist saying you can fix their car for money. within 5 minutes i got an email from a craigslist post. guy asking about his k20 plow truck. he paid me 60 dollars to tell him his carburetor baseplate was on backwards. i didn't even fix it i just saw the fuel vapors leaking from that spot and said someone installed that plate upside down and it worked good after that.

• Gold Member
26 minutes ago, FrankieJames7 said:

get on facebook market place and craigslist saying you can fix their car for money. within 5 minutes i got an email from a craigslist post. guy asking about his k20 plow truck. he paid me 60 dollars to tell him his carburetor baseplate was on backwards. i didn't even fix it i just saw the fuel vapors leaking from that spot and said someone installed that plate upside down and it worked good after that.

Oh ya side work is endless and everywhere if you want it. When I was younger I’d always be doing a side job moon lighting. Now that I’m older I value my free time more than a extra buck. I just never have money for new toys now :smack: 

4 hours ago, FrankieJames7 said:

i was really good at working the skidsteer at my last job. was fun, the scariest moments were always moving the 55 gal barrels of waste oil across the yard. that's what i used to help install the 7.3 powerstroke into the f450 tow truck as the engine hoist was way too small for that engine

If you lived down here I’d have you put a new oil pan in my 450 ....it likes to keep my shop floor well lubricated with 15-40 lol

1 hour ago, FrankieJames7 said:

kill yourself

You should be making Ben pay you a royalty every time he uses one of your lines!!! You won't need a job!!! 

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, FrankieJames7 said:

My lead Tankerman's handiwork with a zoomboom. :lol:

20200821_172946.jpg

20 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Get ASE certified and you’ll have a job forever.  My son in law got hired by an Infiniti dealer and 

they paid for it.  Hes doing pretty well last few years, now he’s looking to buy a Cornwall Tools truck.

Don’t do the tool truck thing. Bad deal there. 

7 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Flat rate body guys that I’ve worked with would sit home for anything less than 100 hours in a 40 hour work week. 

Gave up flat rate 14 years ago. Make more money now than I ever did flat rate but my hourly rate back then wasn’t nearly what some are paying nowadays. I make the same as most guys busting ass on flat rate in my area currently so no complaints on my end.