Snocross: 2021 Round 11/12 Pirtek Sncross National, Elk River, MN 3/5-6

I was at the race last evening.  I have been going to one race a year in MN since 1994.  Used to go to Duluth in the early days when you could stand against the straw bails and basically touch the racers when they went buy.  Those were the good days with three classes for the pros, 440, 600, and open.  Now they can't even get 10 racers for the pro final and no LCQ.  There were a lot of fans at ERX but the the track set up is terrible for viewing.   Less than 1/2 the track was even visible to the fans.  Could only view the corner into the finish line and down into the 1st and 2nd corners.  By the Pro Final over 1/2 the fans had left.  I hope next year they are back at Canterberry which has very good sight lines for the whole track.  Tickets were $35 and parking $5.

Ishoel was definitely on the edge, how he held on a couple of times coming around the corner before the finish line was pretty impressive.   I don't really see a difference in any of the sleds, it is all in the rider and of course the hole shot.

Cat had a big indoor set up with with about 10 sleds.  I have been on Cats since 1972 and there offerings for this year leave a lot to be desired.  If I was buying new this year, for the first time in 50 years I would walk away from Cat.  The bling is flat out ugly.  They tried to round all the corners, get rid of sharp edges.  Sad to say but to me the end is near and I bleed green more than most.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 11:50 AM, snowing said:

I was at the race last evening.  I have been going to one race a year in MN since 1994.  Used to go to Duluth in the early days when you could stand against the straw bails and basically touch the racers when they went buy.  Those were the good days with three classes for the pros, 440, 600, and open.  Now they can't even get 10 racers for the pro final and no LCQ.  There were a lot of fans at ERX but the the track set up is terrible for viewing.   Less than 1/2 the track was even visible to the fans.  Could only view the corner into the finish line and down into the 1st and 2nd corners.  By the Pro Final over 1/2 the fans had left.  I hope next year they are back at Canterberry which has very good sight lines for the whole track.  Tickets were $35 and parking $5.

Ishoel was definitely on the edge, how he held on a couple of times coming around the corner before the finish line was pretty impressive.   I don't really see a difference in any of the sleds, it is all in the rider and of course the hole shot.

Cat had a big indoor set up with with about 10 sleds.  I have been on Cats since 1972 and there offerings for this year leave a lot to be desired.  If I was buying new this year, for the first time in 50 years I would walk away from Cat.  The bling is flat out ugly.  They tried to round all the corners, get rid of sharp edges.  Sad to say but to me the end is near and I bleed green more than most.

I was there last night.  Track had some big holes, a good layout and it was interesting to see it in person for a change.  We moved around the track with our beverages to watch from different vantage points.  There was a LOT of people there last night from my pov - and a LOT of mud in the parking lot and service driveways. 

Ishoel is impressive on the track, and seeing that glowing brake rotor make it's way around the track is how we knew where the leader was.  not one other Doo had a constantly glowing brake, so it would be interesting to see how he moderates throttle and brake while competing.  Or, maybe his brake is always just on  enough to keep heat in it 100% of the time.  Not sure what kind of can is on his sled but in person it has a different sound than the rest of the Doo's and imo the Doo's are all much louder than the Red & Green sleds.  The ladies were fun to watch, and the top contenders are pretty fearless.  From a spectator perspective in person it's easier to see the non Pro classes on the track than the Pro's without headlights.  Kinda wish ISOC would make them stick some battery powered adhesive lights or something where the headlights normally go to track them easier.  @fortune46x is 100% right in that you don't get the same perspective in video footage of the holes between the jumps, or how high and far they are going as you do in person.  The big triple on the finish line straight away was fun to watch.

Stopped by the $-Cat-$ display, they had an Orange ZR limited, a T-Cat, Blast, Blast M, Riot and two Mountain Sleds - but no ZR RR at an event TRAIL RIDERS might attend?  Didn't even bother asking why.  They were nice enough to give us a couple magnetic can coozies which was nice and I joked with Greg that his coozy was his reward him for waiting all winter long for his back ordered parts that finally showed up on Wednesday.

Had a really good time, we met with Alex who was able to b.s. with us between rounds and also met the drone pilot and thanked him for bringing that great new perspective to our screens for all of us.  FWIW - that drone hauls ass!  All in all it was a good time on my 51st birthday, and I can see myself going to at least one race a year from this point going forward.  Hopefully with less mud and a little more @Zambroski:)    

20 hours ago, sw-50c said:

the 120 final was pretty cool.

Those little buggers are nearly as loud as the snow-bikes and just reek of race fuel.  The kids were fun to watch.

• Like 3

The holes are hard to imagine unless you're there , I have pics from deadwood Ill share tomorrow from in the hole, from standing above etc. The snowbikes that most hate are so much better in person speed and action wise too.

@Crnr2Crnr why didnt you tell me it was your birthday , I would have made it far more embarrassing so good to put names with faces thanks for stopping out - sorry it was short lived for me. 

I can give more input tomorrow , trying to catch up on work today/tonight.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

The holes are hard to imagine unless you're there , I have pics from deadwood Ill share tomorrow from in the hole, from standing above etc. The snowbikes that most hate are so much better in person speed and action wise too.

@Crnr2Crnr why didnt you tell me it was your birthday , I would have made it far more embarrassing so good to put names with faces thanks for stopping out - sorry it was short lived for me. 

I can give more input tomorrow , trying to catch up on work today/tonight.

big difference and perspective change from watching it Friday on TV to see it live last night

I don't like to brag about how many trips I've made around the sun.  also, I had a riding trip planned for my b-day like most years but mother nature f'ed that up so I figured to hell with it, I'll go see some SX live instead.   you were 'working' so no big deal man, we'll catch up again.  :bc:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

On 3/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, Zambroski said:

Damn!  Gaining lengths on Ishy!  Now, that’s fucking impressive!!!!

Yurk is the real deal.  Seems like if he can get a good start he has the pace for a podium spot.  If he gets caught up in the field with a bad start he doesn't have the speed to get through.

change of plans @teamgreen02- next stop Eagle River WI 

I'll probably go on Saturday... need to run up to the cottage in the UP in the moring, check things over and remove glue traps full of mice carcasses.  Can hit ER on the way back.  

anyone else considering going for an HCS meet, drink and greet?  you heading up @Doug- this one is close to home and we don't normally get ISOC races in ER.