Texas running out of gas.

BOHICA

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

Assuming you have electricity and the means to do so? I would assume not everyone has those options, especially those living in apartments and the like? 

Very few of the population live in apartments...  many apartment dwellers in large cities don’t even own an auto so it’s not a big thing that those in city apartments can’t charge.  In these places it’s is even cost prohibitive to even park a vehicle.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/798113/share-of-population-living-apartments-by-state-usa/

most have access to a drive way to pull up to there house.  Couple hundred bucks buys an EV charger and few hundred to install it near your street parking it that is your thing.  That is if you don’t want to level 1 charge which is 120 volt.....  your car can plug into any 240 volt out for level 2 charging which doesn’t require anything special that doesn’t come with the vehicle except maybe an adapter for various plug ins.

55 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

"Obviously the cold weather and bad roads have really interfered with our ability to resupply those stores on a timely basis," said Brad Douglass, the CEO of Douglass Distributing, a fuel distribution company in Sherman.

Republicans drive fuel trucks. :lol:

Well yay liberals go to college and don't have marketable skills like truck driving.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, irv said:

It takes that guy 12 hours to charge 50 miles....  read on as that is all he needs he stated and works perfect.

if you read on one of guy says he puts on a 100 miles a day and he only has to charge for 3 hours at 240 volt while he sleeps.  Pretty damn convenient to not have to stop at all to fill up for daily needs.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Very few of the population live in apartments...  many apartment dwellers in large cities don’t even own an auto so it’s not a big thing that those in city apartments can’t charge.  In these places it’s is even cost prohibitive to even park a vehicle.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/798113/share-of-population-living-apartments-by-state-usa/

most have access to a drive way to pull up to there house.  Couple hundred bucks buys an EV charger and few hundred to install it near your street parking it that is your thing.  That is if you don’t want to level 1 charge which is 120 volt.....  your car can plug into any 240 volt out for level 2 charging which doesn’t require anything special that doesn’t come with the vehicle except maybe an adapter for various plug ins.

The new Rav4 prime is probably the best option on the market for most. 40 miles of battery range with gasoline back up. Most people only need extended range a few times per year as their daily commute distance is well under 40 miles. 300hp and gobs of torque too. They’re also eligible for the $7500 credit. 

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The new Rav4 prime is probably the best option on the market for most. 40 miles of battery range with gasoline back up. Most people only need extended range a few times per year as their daily commute distance is well under 40 miles. 300hp and gobs of torque too. They’re also eligible for the $7500 credit. 

Phev are great for those that suffer from range anxiety....  they are great for those that are nervous nellies.  The pickup I will get will go 400+ miles.  Drive for 4-5 hours.  Stop for lunch... 30 to 45 minutes and add a couple hundred miles of range during that time and then continue on.  But I hate being in a hurry so I don’t think I would be at a point in my life where I need to go balls to the walls and exceed that range.  This year there are cars coming out that will go over 500 miles on range.

one bad thing about PHEV’s is the built in charger...  you will never fast charge with any of them I don’t believe.  So on a long trip you are pretty much resorted to using strictly gas until you over night around a level 2 charger.  Charge rate on a rav 4 prime can only accept around 3 kwh’s.  Mean while a full EV will accept 11kwh’s on AC power

Edited by BOHICA

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Phev are great for those that suffer from range anxiety....  they are great for those that are nervous nellies.  The pickup I will get will go 400+ miles.  Drive for 4-5 hours.  Stop for lunch... 30 to 45 minutes and add a couple hundred miles of range during that time and then continue on.  But I hate being in a hurry so I don’t think I would be at a point in my life where I need to go balls to the walls and exceed that range.  This year there are cars coming out that will go over 500 miles or range.

one bad thing about PHEV’s is the built in charger...  you will never fast charge with any of them I don’t believe.  So on a long trip you are pretty much resorted to using strictly gas until you over night around a level 2 charger.  Charge rate on a rav 4 prime can only accept around 3 kwh’s.  Mean while a full EV will accept 11kwh’s on AC power

XSE models with the premium package can charge at 6.6 kWh. Full charge at home in 2.5 hours. 

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

XSE models with the premium package can charge at 6.6 kWh. Full charge at home in 2.5 hours. 

That is awesome they are put 6.6 charger on the prime.  But I put the bolt EUV above any of the budget phev SUV’s.  Full electric, free charger install by GM and if the green act passes it will be eligible for a $7000 dollar tax credit making the final price low 30’s to high 20’s. The thing that also pains me even in a phev is oil changes and the other archaic convention ice powertrain services that are required.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-level-2-charging-promotion-chevy-bolt/

Edited by BOHICA

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

The republicans are nothing but fuckups. 

Was it the rupiblicans fault when buildings and bridges kill people in CA after earthquakes? How about when the fires destroy 1000s of homes ? 

What about the MN 35w bridge republican fault? 

I love how a never before seen cold event in TX is some how a political thing . Expand on why this is a republican issue 

I put the bolt EUV above any of the budget phev SUV’s.  Full electric, free charger install by GM and if the green act passes it will be eligible for a $7000 dollar tax credit making the final price low 30’s.  The thing that also pains me even in a phev is oil changes and the other archaic convention ice powertrain services that are required.

Oil change interval is every 10k on the prime and Toyota takes care of all maintenance for the first two years. Most people could go 2 years between oil changes. I agree that full EV is the way to go. But for many, the prime is a show stopper. Dealers can’t keep them in stock. James May bought one of the hydrogen fuel cell Toyotas and he’s got a lot of good things to say about it. Another cool option for the future. It fuels up with hydrogen in 2 minutes. Unfortunately hydrogen is expensive. But that’ll come down 

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Oil change interval is every 10k on the prime and Toyota takes care of all maintenance for the first two years. Most people could go 2 years between oil changes. I agree that full EV is the way to go. But for many, the prime is a show stopper. Dealers can’t keep them in stock. James May bought one of the hydrogen fuel cell Toyotas and he’s got a lot of good things to say about it. Another cool option for the future. It fuels up with hydrogen in 2 minutes. Unfortunately hydrogen is expensive. But that’ll come down 

Ya.  My oil changes are 10k as well...  first 3 are taken care of.  Sucks having to go to a dealership or schedule a change for routine maintenance.  But the prime is a good rig especially for those that have range anxiety, drive a lot while being in an extreme hurry to get somewhere.  Great power and more then most other pure ice vehicles in the class but still lacking compared to a full ev.  But cheaper then a full EV in most cases

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If big bro removed all incentive nobody would buy a electric vehicle, same as solar.  I have yet to meet anyone willing to shell out their own money without some sort of kickback.

1 minute ago, Doomxz600 said:

If big bro removed all incentive nobody would buy a electric vehicle, same as solar.  I have yet to meet anyone willing to shell out their own money without some sort of kickback.

That’s because you know so few people. They probably can’t stand you. 

58 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Was it the rupiblicans fault when buildings and bridges kill people in CA after earthquakes? How about when the fires destroy 1000s of homes ? 

What about the MN 35w bridge republican fault? 

I love how a never before seen cold event in TX is some how a political thing . Expand on why this is a republican issue 

And the truth is it is not a never before seen cold event.  Its happened before.  The southern states have simply made the decision not to plan for the rare events, even though we all know they have and will occur again.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

No incentives on Tesla’s currently and they sell a lot.  Gm sold out of hummer EV’s with no incentives.

3 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

And the truth is it is not a never before seen cold event.  Its happened before.  The southern states have simply made the decision not to plan for the rare events, even though we all know they have and will occur again.

So if you were building a house in TX next week would you put in 4 foot frost footings . Fuck no nor should you . 

Just now, Ez ryder said:

So if you were building a house in TX next week would you put in 4 foot frost footings . Fuck no nor should you . 

Correct!  Just saying, that is a decision people make, doesn't matter if you have a D or a R next to your name.

Edited by Mag6240

No incentives on Tesla’s currently and they sell a lot.  Gm sold out of hummer EV’s with no incentives.

Mfg understand the tax incentive and price their products accordingly. Tesla just announced another price drop on the 3 and Y. With tax incentive the prices are now under $30k. As Elon’s battery production facility gets up to speed and the innovative production techniques evolve, the prices will go lower. I’m not sure if Tesla is still offering the one year of free supercharger use for “21 as they were for “20. No fuel costs for one year. That’s another sweet incentive. 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

So was it the republicans fault when new Orleans flooded ? 

Wasn't and isn't Puerto Rico still bitching about help and aid?  He seems to forget that.  Hurricane help good, 100 year snow/freezing bad.

6 minutes ago, F3600 said:

Wasn't and isn't Puerto Rico still bitching about help and aid?  He seems to forget that.  Hurricane help good, 100 year snow/freezing bad.

Puerto Rico and NOLA are admitted sucks on the US government. Texas lies by promoting independence until the shit hits the fan.