The Texas grid got crushed because its operators didn’t see the need to prepare for cold weather

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How do explain that wind turbines in the northern states are still spinning, or how about these in the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec?

Image result for gaspe peninsula wind farm

They have heaters in them that actually draw power from the grid when they're not spinning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

They have heaters in them that actually draw power from the grid when they're not spinning.

Yup.

quoting a Forbes article:

“So it’s fair to ask: why don’t wind turbines fail all the time in colder climates, such as Canada, Sweden or the American Midwest? 

The answer, in short, is that turbines in colder places are typically equipped with de-icing and other tools, such as built-in heating. In Texas, where the weather is almost never this cold, they usually are not. 

“Cold weather kits can keep [wind turbines] operating when temperatures plunge. This is the norm in colder states and in Europe,” said Samuel Brock, a spokesman for the American Clean Power Association. “Historically in Texas, given the warm climate, it hasn’t been necessary.”

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
13 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Nobody cares what you think you are entitled to as far as explanations.  You give none of your own...just like MC and Tools.  Worthless.

Pfft.  Spare me.

That’s priceless coming from you....

8DC108F3-9B6E-41C6-9D4D-0907CB72D5BC.thumb.jpeg.d4b793bbc2c85a41377b6c7979798239.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

That’s priceless coming from you....

8DC108F3-9B6E-41C6-9D4D-0907CB72D5BC.thumb.jpeg.d4b793bbc2c85a41377b6c7979798239.jpeg

You know, I get that you are bitter, unsuccessful, sad, angry, uneducated, unintelligent and are trying hard to earn your white knighting achievement badge in the SJW army but, can you at least try to be original?  I mean, using my own material in your quest to insult me is just plain pathetic.  ick.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

How do explain that wind turbines in the northern states are still spinning, or how about these in the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec?

Image result for gaspe peninsula wind farm

Cool pic.

To answer your question with a question though, how do you explain the northern states having stockpiles of salt, sand, plows and trucks to handle the winter conditions?

Be smarter than this or, sit in the boat with Pouty.  SHeesh!

53 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

You know, I get that you are bitter, unsuccessful, sad, angry, uneducated, unintelligent and are trying hard to earn your white knighting achievement badge in the SJW army but, can you at least try to be original?  I mean, using my own material in your quest to insult me is just plain pathetic.  ick.

Pffftt...You have no material of your own...you’re nothing but a long winded say nothing sawed off parasite. You may go now.🤣

52 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Cool pic.

To answer your question with a question though, how do you explain the northern states having stockpiles of salt, sand, plows and trucks to handle the winter conditions?

Be smarter than this or, sit in the boat with Pouty.  SHeesh!

Hey dummy Texas went through something like this in 2011 and didn’t fix any of the problems...maybe try learning something before you open that ignorant cock holster of yours.🤣

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Hey dummy Texas went through something like this in 2011 and didn’t fix any of the problems...maybe try learning something before you open that ignorant cock holster of yours.🤣

You are literally Toolkit stupid.  You two should ride together.  Imagine...the first and only person you meet off of any sled forum is Tools.  It's quite fitting for you.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

But with all of the expert climatologist stating the world is undeniably warming, why invest in cold weather precautions?? :lol2:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Texans are being instructed to boil water. :lol: What a fucking mess. 

That's probably normal operating procedure when supply is interrupted and they have to fix frozen pipes.  That happens even in colder climates.  My well lines are 10 feet deep.  How many water lines do you think are more than a few feet in Texas?

I'd just pull the water from my RO system.

11 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

My niece’s husband is an engineer that works with these things. The blades and certain areas of the generator are impregnated with a carbon sheet that’s conductive and heat producing. Very inexpensive to run. The heaters cycle to melt accumulating ice. The units have to be spec’d when ordered or can be retrofitted. Apparently Texas went cheap. 

Just now, ActionfigureJoe said:

My niece’s husband is an engineer that works with these things. The blades and certain areas of the generator are impregnated with a carbon sheet that’s conductive and heat producing. Very inexpensive to run. The heaters cycle to melt accumulating ice. The units have to be spec’d when ordered or can be retrofitted. Apparently Texas went cheap. 

given how little this happens it just makes economic sense.  Had the fossil generation stayed online any loss from the wind would have been minimal.  

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

given how little this happens it just makes economic sense.  Had the fossil generation stayed online any loss from the wind would have been minimal.  

Wind only amounts to 17% of the Texas grid. Of that 17% only a portion is down due to weather. The windmills are being made a scapegoat by government officials and energy companies. It’s pretty laughable. 

6 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

This would seem to be a common sense rationalization but, as usual, the dems have turned it into some bizzaro political opportunity to feed their band of imbeciles.

I'm in the south now and the building codes are quite different than they were in MN (or anywhere that frost is a factor).  When it get's well below freezing here for days (very, very rare), shit freezes and breaks.  To try and justify making it "frost proof" for occurrences that happen only once a decade it just money down the drain.

This is just ignorant political pandering about a state the Dems can't turn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Wind only amounts to 17% of the Texas grid. Of that 17% only a portion is down due to weather. The windmills are being made a scapegoat by government officials and energy companies. It’s pretty laughable. 

most with a brain have gotten off blaming wind.  RW retards still might