Leftist Math: not at all white supremacist

Matt

No, I'm not talking about the math that mysteriously adds 200k votes to a single candidate in one update cycle.

I'm talking math math.  Like numbers.  Which represent real, objective quantities.

Teachers in Oregon are being urged to attend a course on "equitable math" which purports that trying to achieve the "right" answer and "showing your work" are forms of oppressive white supremacy (see what I mean about the term racist being gone?  It's now white supremacy to include the group to be hated right in the term).

Know what's actually white supremacist?  This sort of low-expectation pandering bullshit...

This is the white supremacist left operating right out in the open...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/asking-students-to-show-their-work-in-math-class-is-a-form-of-white-supremacy

• Haha 1

I hope I never have to fly on a plane or drive across a bridge engineered by someone who was taught that it's OK if 2x2=22.

BTW, I know this is all about driving a communist utopia and is supremely anti-capitalist... but, now who's really good at math?  Communists.  I know a lot of Russians who grew up under communism and they're fucking geniuses.  Chinese are pretty damn good at math too... really any developed nation already whips our ass at math.  They must all be white supremacist.

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Jesus Christ, how the fuck did we ever produce such abject morons? 

Liberalism is a dangerous disease. 

“A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

This is stupid, but I gotta say nothing was more frustrating than when I teacher wrote "show your work" next to a right answer. It's the right answer bitch, fuck off.

yup,  i've always been able to do math in my head.  no reason to show it or do homework.  Had to retake algebra because I got my back up and refused to do homework because I was getting A's on all my test but the teacher gave homework half the grade.  F that.  

8 minutes ago, Wildboer said:

This is stupid, but I gotta say nothing was more frustrating than when I teacher wrote "show your work" next to a right answer. It's the right answer bitch, fuck off.

" Hey I paid good money for that answer, go fuck yourself "

Just now, Wildboer said:

If you're copying someone's homework you can copy their work too...

True. I was in the same boat as Ginger. Did it in my head. Also sat by some dumb motherfuckers. Anyone copying their work flunked.

"identifying arithmetic principles that foster capitalism, imperialism, and white supremacy" is not an alternative method though.  I think you're thinking of some newer, alternative ways of solving equations that still yield a proper answer, no?  This is literally saying that math is not objective (it is) and that if you have an alternative lived experience, 5+5=9 is a perfectly acceptable answer (because 10% for the big guy).

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

"identifying arithmetic principles that foster capitalism, imperialism, and white supremacy" is not an alternative method though.  I think you're thinking of some newer, alternative ways of solving equations that still yield a proper answer, no?  This is literally saying that math is not objective (it is) and that if you have an alternative lived experience, 5+5=9 is a perfectly acceptable answer (because 10% for the big guy).

You used the term equitable math. That is a fairly basic teaching method that holds both the teacher and student accountable for participation in the classroom.  It’s accompanied by heavy supervision. There’s plenty of sites that describe the practice. Teachers are pushed to meet the students where they’re at by recognizing styles of learning. I’m always suspicious of this stuff because the right wingers grab on to a phrase and run it up the flag pole by mischaracterizing it’s true meaning.  It’s riles up the troops. 

42 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

You used the term equitable math. That is a fairly basic teaching method that holds both the teacher and student accountable for participation in the classroom.  It’s accompanied by heavy supervision. There’s plenty of sites that describe the practice. Teachers are pushed to meet the students where they’re at by recognizing styles of learning. I’m always suspicious of this stuff because the right wingers grab on to a phrase and run it up the flag pole by mischaracterizing it’s true meaning.  It’s riles up the troops. 

Mental health math.

:lol:

14 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I didn't even read the link in the OP because Matt seems prone to swallowing and spreading propaganda, but I can almost guarantee that's what's going on here. 

14 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

BS. Yes the technique has been around but you are implying that the discussion of white supremacy and racism within it is BS. Educate yourself before you try to “spin” it. 
https://equitablemath.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/11/1_STRIDE1.pdf

19 hours ago, Matt said:

I hope I never have to fly on a plane or drive across a bridge engineered by someone who was taught that it's OK if 2x2=22.

BTW, I know this is all about driving a communist utopia and is supremely anti-capitalist... but, now who's really good at math?  Communists.  I know a lot of Russians who grew up under communism and they're fucking geniuses.  Chinese are pretty damn good at math too... really any developed nation already whips our ass at math.  They must all be white supremacist.

that's because in north america here no one who is actually smart becomes a teacher. People become teachers because of the lifestyle it affords. we have history, sociology, english grads teaching calculus.