Gas prices, thank you biden supporters

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The future will be a combination of fossil, hydrogen, and electric. The bottleneck with hydrogen is production costs. But that should be on par with gasoline in 5 years. Battery technology in five years will look nothing like it does today. Solid state batteries that perform in cold weather, don’t degrade, and recharge in 5 minutes will be here next year. Lots of options for the future. And all are viable. 

Is is 1 or 5 years?? Maybe 10 or 20..:lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Is is 1 or 5 years?? Maybe 10 or 20..:lol:

Energy density of batteries has tripled in the last 10 years. Most of that has occurred in the last 5. The improvements will continue. To think that the future will include only one source of energy is preposterous. Electric car haters are funny. 

6 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Energy density of batteries has tripled in the last 10 years. Most of that has occurred in the last 5. The improvements will continue. To think that the future will include only one source of energy is preposterous. Electric car haters are funny. 

:lol:

14 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

People who drive electric cars thinking they are helping the environment or funnier.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The EU has 130 hydrogen refueling stations. The UK 13. $80-100 to drive 300 miles. A real bargain. :lol:  

You can't put a cost on saving the planet..:ashamed:

3 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

People that drive electric vehicles understand that they have the quickest production cars in the world by a large margin. 

Hmmm...they don't have speed limits like everyone else?

Interesting...

10 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

People that drive electric vehicles understand that they have the quickest production cars in the world by a large margin. 

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/154741/red-bull-and-oreca-to-build-le-mans-hydrogen-car

Let me know when Tesla has a zero emissions vehicle running in the 24

• Gold Member

With the lack of electricityall the refineries and pump jacks shut down and not pulling up that crude gas prices are going to go sky high.  Spot market for electricity was/is thru the roof as well as the price of natural gas....  electricity to run the oil pump infrastructure is costing these oil companies huge right now...  they were losing billions making gas last year it is only getting worse for the unless they raise the cost of natural gas and fuels just to break even.

Edited by BOHICA

• Gold Member

It is a weird world And utterly  awesome watching everybody cheer for windmills to freeze up and electricity to shutdown.

millions of barrels of oil isn’t getting pumped daily without those windmills spinning causing probably a 20 cent bump a gallon at the pump...  what $2.75 for gas and what $3.50 diesel is what everybody is cheering for by the end of February?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/gas-prices-could-increase-as-much-as-20-cents-per-gallon-as-texas-oil-refinery-capacity-shuts-down-due-to-storm

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

How are they pumping gas? Squirrel power? 

I'm quite sure many likely filled their vehicles up and likely some gas cans too prior to the storm/cold snap. I wonder if the ones with EV's stocked up on extra electricity (because those so readily available and easy to do), and I also wonder how those same EV's are fairing, making out in this cold snap? :news:

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, irv said:

I'm quite sure many likely filled their vehicles up and likely some gas cans too prior to the storm/cold snap. I wonder if the ones with EV's stocked up on extra electricity (because those so readily available and easy to do), and I also wonder how those same EV's are fairing, making out in this cold snap? :news:

Most EV’s are more full more often then most gas powered vehicles most of the time.  My one PHEV has a full electric charge when home. Just plugged in.  My EV pickup when I get it will be plugged in when home and sitting at 90% battery capacity unless I’m driving it.  It’s unlikely people are out driving around for fun and are only going out for necessities if at all.  Any storms or outages growing up we hunkered down and didn’t move our gas powered vehicles.  Doubt people are moving all that much in Texas.  With this storm...  everything is out of power so it’s not like you are going to go find much to do.

47 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

It is a weird world And utterly  awesome watching everybody cheer for windmills to freeze up and electricity to shutdown.

millions of barrels of oil isn’t getting pumped daily without those windmills spinning causing probably a 20 cent bump a gallon at the pump...  what $2.75 for gas and what $3.50 diesel is what everybody is cheering for by the end of February?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/gas-prices-could-increase-as-much-as-20-cents-per-gallon-as-texas-oil-refinery-capacity-shuts-down-due-to-storm

What about the nuke plants shut down because the water inlet cooling ducts are froze? Or the NG electric plants shut down because the generators won’t function without damage in cold weather. Had the wind turbines been outfitted with heaters, they’d be opperational. 

22 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Most EV’s are more full more often then most gas powered vehicles most of the time.  My one PHEV has a full electric charge when home. Just plugged in.  My EV pickup when I get it will be plugged in when home and sitting at 90% battery capacity unless I’m driving it.  It’s unlikely people are out driving around for fun and are only going out for necessities if at all.  Any storms or outages growing up we hunkered down and didn’t move our gas powered vehicles.  Doubt people are moving all that much in Texas.  With this storm...  everything is out of power so it’s not like you are going to go find much to do.

So how much do they, the batteries deplete, sitting in the cold? A full tank of gas will still be full whether it is cold or not. I highly doubt these EV's sitting while having no trickle charge/regular charge will be full after a prolonged cold snap. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, irv said:

So how much do they, the batteries deplete, sitting in the cold? A full tank of gas will still be full whether it is cold or not. I highly doubt these EV's sitting while having no trickle charge/regular charge will be full after a prolonged cold snap. 

Not enough to worry about over a couple day power outage.  Just like a gas vehicle in a storm or massive power outage you will probably keep travel to a minimum.  

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Not enough to worry about over a couple day power outage.  Just like a gas vehicle in a storm or massive power outage you will probably keep travel to a minimum.  

Sounds rosy and all but I'll take a full tank of gas over a fully charge EV any day, especially if it might take days or longer to fully restore power to places. 

This is day 3 so far in Texas and there is currently 2.8 million without power. 

ERCOT officials say they have no idea when Texas’ power outages will end.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2021/02/16/ercot-says-they-have-no-idea-when-texas-power-outages-will-end/

• Gold Member
Just now, irv said:

Sounds rosy and all but I'll take a full tank of gas over a fully charge EV any day, especially if it might take days or longer to fully restore power to places. 

This is day 3 so far in Texas and there is currently 2.8 million without power. 

ERCOT officials say they have no idea when Texas’ power outages will end.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2021/02/16/ercot-says-they-have-no-idea-when-texas-power-outages-will-end/

Where you going with power out everywhere