Goggles question

• Gold Member

So I’m thinking about buying a snocross type helmet or maybe use my dirtbike helmet so I can wear my snowboard goggles over my glasses and hopefully not fog up. My question is when your riding behind someone or it’s snowing out do the goggles get all crusted with snow? I’ve never worn goggles riding sleds I’m not sure what to expect. I’m just sick of dealing with foggy glasses and thought I’d give this option a try.

Goggles stay fine unless it's in wet snow/rain then you use the wiper on your glove to clean them.   SNow dust and dryer snow blow off just like on your full face helmet, prob better since the heated shield sometimes melts flakes hitting your full face.  

Fortunately I don't have to wear my glasses to ride,  i have a few times with my BV2S and it works decent just not worth the hassle to me to wear them

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
40 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Goggles stay fine unless it's in wet snow/rain then you use the wiper on your glove to clean them.   SNow dust and dryer snow blow off just like on your full face helmet, prob better since the heated shield sometimes melts flakes hitting your full face.  

Fortunately I don't have to wear my glasses to ride,  i have a few times with my BV2S and it works decent just not worth the hassle to me to wear them

Thanks, that’s what I was nervous about if snow dust would crust them up and I’d have to constantly wipe them. I just didn’t want to replace fogging with another annoying issue like constantly wiping snow dust away. Gonna try to find a decent cheaper helmet and give it a try. They don’t seem to fog while snowboarding so I’m thinking it’ll work pretty good. Unfortunately my eyes have gotten horrible over past few years and I can’t see shit in the distance so glasses are a must now.

I've never had a problem with goggles like what you're worried about, no issues at all.

One thing to keep in mind is that goggles made for a motorsport helmet might work a tad better than snowboarding ones.  A good goggle will have outrigger type things at each end and this may help keep pressure against your face where without it there is more chance of the larger mx/sx helmet with the larger helmet surface and surrounding that a snowboard goggle may be pulled off your face.  Obviously your helmet, goggle, and face will be determining factors but just something to remember if you have issues.

• Thanks 1

I've been running a MSR mx helmet and dragon snowboard NFX goggles for years.. no out riggers needed. used to run a pair of Oakley O frames with out riggers and I find no difference. Now I could see it stretching the strap over time but I have been using my set up for years with no issues. One thing to note they do sell both those models as motor sport goggles so maybe that makes a difference. 

If you have the Quid, I would suggest actually getting the snow stuff  that is a paired set if you do big trips.. or at least get goggles with the nose piece.  Mine fit tight to the helmet, and work good, just would be nicer to have the nose piece as a lot of wind gets in there. 

Sticky snow and rain are the only times I constantly have to wipe. balaclava can make difference too.. I like to tuck mine under my googles but if its to far up in my breath will leak in and fog everything. 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, mnstang said:

I've never had a problem with goggles like what you're worried about, no issues at all.

One thing to keep in mind is that goggles made for a motorsport helmet might work a tad better than snowboarding ones.  A good goggle will have outrigger type things at each end and this may help keep pressure against your face where without it there is more chance of the larger mx/sx helmet with the larger helmet surface and surrounding that a snowboard goggle may be pulled off your face.  Obviously your helmet, goggle, and face will be determining factors but just something to remember if you have issues.

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

I've been running a MSR mx helmet and dragon snowboard NFX goggles for years.. no out riggers needed. used to run a pair of Oakley O frames with out riggers and I find no difference. Now I could see it stretching the strap over time but I have been using my set up for years with no issues. One thing to note they do sell both those models as motor sport goggles so maybe that makes a difference. 

If you have the Quid, I would suggest actually getting the snow stuff  that is a paired set if you do big trips.. or at least get goggles with the nose piece.  Mine fit tight to the helmet, and work good, just would be nicer to have the nose piece as a lot of wind gets in there. 

Sticky snow and rain are the only times I constantly have to wipe. balaclava can make difference too.. I like to tuck mine under my googles but if its to far up in my breath will leak in and fog everything. 

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I ended up buying a new ski-doo XP-3 helmet last night. I got a pretty good deal on it. The plan was to try the snowboard goggles to keep it cheap but I’m also seeing ski-doo otg goggles that match to the helmet for pretty good deals so I’m probably just gonna pick up a pair to avoid potential air leak issues. They also have the nose piece which my snowboard ones don’t have. That seems like a good feature to have. I’ll be into the deal for less than 2 bills so I’m happy with that. From the sounds of it I think it will work like I’m hoping. Heading on a trip to the county northern Maine at the end of the month so I’ll find out then.

A22D2895-D874-4981-B959-A7B2A38C246C.png

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

make sure everything fit good

Bought online no idea how it will fit. I just used the sizing chart and the size of my old doo full face. Hoping it all fits good and it works out. If not I’ll probably just tell the wife we need to start budgeting for lasik.

2 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I ended up buying a new ski-doo XP-3 helmet last night. I got a pretty good deal on it. The plan was to try the snowboard goggles to keep it cheap but I’m also seeing ski-doo otg goggles that match to the helmet for pretty good deals so I’m probably just gonna pick up a pair to avoid potential air leak issues. They also have the nose piece which my snowboard ones don’t have. That seems like a good feature to have. I’ll be into the deal for less than 2 bills so I’m happy with that. From the sounds of it I think it will work like I’m hoping. Heading on a trip to the county northern Maine at the end of the month so I’ll find out then.

A22D2895-D874-4981-B959-A7B2A38C246C.png

Those are nice helmets.  the fit of the mask is good and covers more of your face than most.  goggle fit comes down to a combo face, helmet and goggle.  Some people setup will be terrible for others with the same helmet.  I have a fly helmet that fits goggles different than my HJC MX.  Ended up buying a new pair of 509 X6 goggles this weekend as the backup pair of scotts i had the foam was fucked up when my son went to put them on.  My favorite were triple 9's which are made by WPS like the fly helmet. followed by the scott.   Get yourself some clear lenses if riding at night.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mnstang said:

For trail days I like the klim arctic balaclava and for off trail I just wear a thin beanie and a neck gator type of thing

same.   although after i got the BV2 i have been less and less using the Fly MX on trail days. 

• Gold Member
13 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

same.   although after i got the BV2 i have been less and less using the Fly MX on trail days. 

That’s what I was considering getting also was the bvs2 but the price kept me away. I didn’t want to spend that much.

18 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

That’s what I was considering getting also was the bvs2 but the price kept me away. I didn’t want to spend that much.

i thought that way for years through 3 other helmets that all together cost me more than the BV2.   I have both sitting in my truck/gear bag so i can choose based on the day.  

• Gold Member
49 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i thought that way for years through 3 other helmets that all together cost me more than the BV2.   I have both sitting in my truck/gear bag so i can choose based on the day.  

honestly if this set up doesn’t help the glasses fogging issue I’m just gonna bite the bullet and start saving for lasik. It’s the permanent fix to a constant problem with riding and many other things that are a pain to do with glasses.

20 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Get yourself some clear lenses if riding at night.

I love clear lenses, when I bought my Dragons I let the guy at the counter convince me the yellow were just as good... he was wrong. 

clear is always the best for night. 

5 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

honestly if this set up doesn’t help the glasses fogging issue I’m just gonna bite the bullet and start saving for lasik. It’s the permanent fix to a constant problem with riding and many other things that are a pain to do with glasses.

if i needed them for more than reading I would have done the lasik 20 years ago.  Fortunately i could boat, jet ski and sled without.  

On 2/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, 800renegaderider said:

Thanks, that’s what I was nervous about if snow dust would crust them up and I’d have to constantly wipe them. I just didn’t want to replace fogging with another annoying issue like constantly wiping snow dust away. Gonna try to find a decent cheaper helmet and give it a try. They don’t seem to fog while snowboarding so I’m thinking it’ll work pretty good. Unfortunately my eyes have gotten horrible over past few years and I can’t see shit in the distance so glasses are a must now.

My bud gets his insurance to flip the bill for a new set of prescription goggles every 2 yrs .

As long as you get a good seal you should not get fog or icing . But most people don't have them tight enough or have them over there breath deflector and have issues . 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:35 AM, Cwhite138 said:

I love clear lenses, when I bought my Dragons I let the guy at the counter convince me the yellow were just as good... he was wrong. 

clear is always the best for night. 

I have tried all the colors . Clear is good at night dark polarized on bright days and blue or yellow when hazy or snowing or both . Really no perfect color for that overcast with snow . So hard to see definition with overcast . I have totaled 2 mountain  sleds in that flat light shit 

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

My bud gets his insurance to flip the bill for a new set of prescription goggles every 2 yrs .

As long as you get a good seal you should not get fog or icing . But most people don't have them tight enough or have them over there breath deflector and have issues . 

Ya, I don’t have health insurance I pay for everything myself.

The XP-3 helmet and klim Arctic balaclava came in Saturday but I’m still waiting on the goggles. The balaclava seems good but a little loose around the nose I’m hoping the goggles hold it tighter to my nose area once they show up hopefully tomorrow. I might bring some tape to tape the nose area of the balaclava to my face around my nose if it isn’t sealing good.

D6B0EF6A-2A4C-44A5-8D40-86E111D37B79.jpeg

C21423D5-312B-41FB-9827-5C5B42089968.jpeg

F394D0FA-8086-4039-9F79-F0C518FE4ADB.jpeg

I run my breath box over the nose of the goggles.  But with glasses not sure how you would pull it on . Once I get goggle and breath box set i really only change it when replacing goggle for a diff tint. 

509 use to make a good goggle with thick foam but not they just make or have made total shit thin foam shitty glue worthy of nothing more than a dumpster . But hey they have a marketing team hitting it out of tge Park. 

I just got a set of 100% goggle the foam is wide and fat like 509 once was makes a full seal around helmet opening. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

I have tried all the colors . Clear is good at night dark polarized on bright days and blue or yellow when hazy or snowing or both . Really no perfect color for that overcast with snow . So hard to see definition with overcast . I have totaled 2 mountain  sleds in that flat light shit 

You got it spot on.  

ahah I have never totaled a sled but I ate some major shit snowboarding not seeing the bumps because everything is the same colour.  

18 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ya, I don’t have health insurance I pay for everything myself.

The XP-3 helmet and klim Arctic balaclava came in Saturday but I’m still waiting on the goggles. The balaclava seems good but a little loose around the nose I’m hoping the goggles hold it tighter to my nose area once they show up hopefully tomorrow. I might bring some tape to tape the nose area of the balaclava to my face around my nose if it isn’t sealing good.

NIce, helmet though.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Member

Got to try the new helmet set up today. It worked great no foggy glasses at all. Got a little chili after the sun set and got down to 10 or so. Gonna be below zero tomorrow morning so I think I’ll double up on a neck warmer since my neck/chin was the only spot that was getting a little cold. Glad I bought it thanks again for the input.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:21 AM, 800renegaderider said:

Remember to keep strap on goggles  real tight it matters 

Edited by Ez ryder