Chip shortage

Matt

The supply chain issues around microchips are starting to pose a real challenge to several industries, especially the auto industry.  Toyota, Nissan, Kia, GM, Ford, FCA... they've all had to idle plants or cut production considerably since they don't have enough of the electronics to fulfill demand.  Guy from another site I frequent just bought a new Escalade and the dealer gave him a bigger discount if he agreed to leave it at the dealership for the next 3 weeks so customers looking for one had one they could see.

Most electronics manufacturers are feeling the pinch.  Cell phones, IoT devices, gaming consoles, TVs.  If you're thinking of buying something like this and see a good price on it now, it might be a good idea to pick up or you may be out of luck for several months.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

The supply chain issues around microchips are starting to pose a real challenge to several industries, especially the auto industry.  Toyota, Nissan, Kia, GM, Ford, FCA... they've all had to idle plants or cut production considerably since they don't have enough of the electronics to fulfill demand.  Guy from another site I frequent just bought a new Escalade and the dealer gave him a bigger discount if he agreed to leave it at the dealership for the next 3 weeks so customers looking for one had one they could see.

Most electronics manufacturers are feeling the pinch.  Cell phones, IoT devices, gaming consoles, TVs.  If you're thinking of buying something like this and see a good price on it now, it might be a good idea to pick up or you may be out of luck for several months.

You trying to scare the fat kids with a title like that? :lol: 

:bc: 

• Haha 3

They have been warning about this for a while.. now from what I read there is currently a shortage on semiconductors and microprocessors. 

It sounds like the issue is more from plants closing down because of covid shit and not ramping up production fast enough. meaning its enough to cause disruptions but not going to last. ITs because the auto industry is run so lean after 08

I mean even our shop kind of got caught not expecting the demand to come back as quick and not brining every one back quick enough... 

Edited by Cwhite138

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Vo try to buy a printer . There were like 6 to pick from at best buy this week . Guy said they have been like that for like 7mo

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

Another strange thing that's on short supply is shop vac filters.  Makes no sense but I've blown out and reused this same filter twice now with no new stock showing up at the hardware store, been this way for 2 months he said.

Don't need to replace them...just knock the stuff out of em if it's only dry stuff. 

5 hours ago, Matt said:

What percent are made in USA?

6 hours ago, Matt said:

We've been having a lot of supply chain issues since this time last year.  

Everything from components, sub-assembled components, boards, etc. to raw stock.  Some specialty alloys we aren't expecting for 4-6 months, or more.

55 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

What percent are made in USA?

something like 17%.  We dominate in innovation and engineering, but Taiwan and China kick our asses in production.  The area I live in is big for chip manufacturing with Intel and NXP both within 20 mins from me.  TSMC, one of the world's largest chipmakers, is breaking ground on a huge campus later this year.

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

Sheetrock dust really did a number on it.

Yeah that shit packs in .

The blue home depot ridged one work best for rock dust . They also sell a lid for a 5 gal bucket that has a hose to go to shop vac . And a hole for your hose . The lid acts sort of like a Dyson circulating dust then dumping most in to bucket .

Think they are like 30 or 40 bucks ? Have 1 and use it mostly when using the porter cable rock sander . 

But yeah we burn up a a hand full of filters a yr mostly from pounding them on the ground to get dust out and they tear .  I buy em by the case when menerds is doing 11% then home depot will match it . Those filters never go on sale otherwise 

17 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Yeah that shit packs in .

The blue home depot ridged one work best for rock dust . They also sell a lid for a 5 gal bucket that has a hose to go to shop vac . And a hole for your hose . The lid acts sort of like a Dyson circulating dust then dumping most in to bucket .

Think they are like 30 or 40 bucks ? Have 1 and use it mostly when using the porter cable rock sander . 

But yeah we burn up a a hand full of filters a yr mostly from pounding them on the ground to get dust out and they tear .  I buy em by the case when menerds is doing 11% then home depot will match it . Those filters never go on sale otherwise 

I used to get the blue sheets that cover the pleated filter when we sanded rock. Don't they make those anymore?

17 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

One would think chip sets could be knocked out with skeleton crews . I assumed it was a heavily automated prosses 

Lower production due to COVID but increased demand from tablets, laptops, etc for the work from home crowd.  The perfect storm really for demand > supply.  

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

I used to get the blue sheets that cover the pleated filter when we sanded rock. Don't they make those anymore?

? Don't know i don't sand enough to have looked that deep. Anything more than a small bath it is farmed out to any one but me lol

21 minutes ago, Im4snow said:

Lower production due to COVID but increased demand from tablets, laptops, etc for the work from home crowd.  The perfect storm really for demand > supply.  

That is for everything or at least the excuse we are all using to jack prices and push jobs deep in to the Callander year