Homemade Groomer/smoother?

20 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

For a vintage sled track, my friend uses a old bed spring mattress with all fabric and foam ripped off it and a board on the back edge to smooth stuff out.

We did that on the trails when I was a kid 

5 hours ago, ckf said:

If you have a welder you could make a simple pipe drag. We used to use a bicycle inner tube to attach to the sled to act as a breakaway in case the drag caught something.

HP-1C.jpg

Yeah I like that, have welder and lots of scrap metal around. That looks like something I can hide in the bush from the view of the wife in the summer so she doesn't complain. Can only imagine what she would say to an old box-spring .........me:pan:wife!

• 2 weeks later...

I made this one a couple of years ago.  The electric linear actuator is the key to getting the trails flat and also getting you out of a bind if the snow gets deep.  The whole drag weighs about 200lbs.  I cost me about $350 to build and the linear actuator was the main cost.

Groomer.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 11:57 AM, dsupercat said:

I made this one a couple of years ago.  The electric linear actuator is the key to getting the trails flat and also getting you out of a bind if the snow gets deep.  The whole drag weighs about 200lbs.  I cost me about $350 to build and the linear actuator was the main cost.

Groomer.jpg

That's Awesome, just what I'm looking for!  Sometime when you're bored could you snap a few more pics?

Welding was the easy part figuring out dimension's of steel size, watching countless youtube homemade groomer video's, sizing linear actuator, etc...  Building it only took a couple of days.  Also wanted to try to use anything I had laying around.  It does work very good all the neighbors say we have the best trail to the trail in our county.  

Edited by dsupercat
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...