What do you set your thermostat to at home??

ckf

We pretty much just keep ours at 65° 24/7.  We just throw on a sweatshirt or piece of fleece during the day if we are just hanging around not doing anything.  Due to the much warmer than normal temps this winter our total heating costs should be just under $1200.

Note: we are closing in on sunrise before 7AM and sunset after 5PM :yahoo:

PXL_20210130_143500819.jpg

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm 62* at night 66* during the day. But while I'm home and awake I run my propane fire place, the remote has a thermostat and that's at 70*. Keep a couple ceiling fans on to circulate the heat from the fireplace that's in the living room..It's cost me $313 to fill my oil tank that will last the winter and $250 in propane for the winter. So I should be around $563 to heat my house for the entire winter..:thumbsup:

I've had the fire place for about 12 years now,.Pre-fire place I was $1100-1200 to heat my house for the winter. 

Edited by Rigid1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

65 at night 

70 when were home. 
I refuse to save money by being uncomfortable in my home. 

Yep....my wife and I grew up with "those dads" controlling the temps to save a few bucks.  Hard pass on that shit now.

"If your hot, go sit in front of the fan!  if you're cold, go put on thicker clothes!"  SWEET FUCK!  Is this the 1930's????

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yep....my wife and I grew up with "those dads" controlling the temps to save a few bucks.  Hard pass on that shit now.

"If your hot, go sit in front of the fan!  if you're cold, go put on thicker clothes!"  SWEET FUCK!  Is this the 1930's????

Right.   My grandparents had vinyl runners on the floor and plastic on their furniture.  :lol:

sitting around the house in snow suits. 🙄

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I grew up with wood heat and was always to warm, lol.  I guess we are just used to 65° as we don't find it uncomfortable. If we are up doing something we take off our sweatshirts and are comfortable. If we hare just watching TV or hanging out we wear a sweatshirt or a fleece top.

8 minutes ago, Dave said:

Use to be 68....not so much this year...I've had the fucker as high as 75....really feeling the cold this year.

LOL...can't find anything in Canada that resembles AZ???   :lol:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Right.   My grandparents had vinyl runners on the floor and plastic on their furniture.  :lol:

sitting around the house in snow suits. 🙄

A friend of mines mother was like that. She told the Buick dealer that she wouldn't buy the new station wagon if they removed the plastic seat coverings that said "dealer must remove"   :lol:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ckf said:

I grew up with wood heat and was always to warm, lol.  I guess we are just used to 65° as we don't find it uncomfortable. If we are up doing something we take off our sweatshirts and are comfortable. If we hare just watching TV or hanging out we wear a sweatshirt or a fleece top.

LOL...can't find anything in Canada that resembles AZ???   :lol:

Oysoyoos or Vancouver  Island is about the warmest....but not warm enough to spend the coin to stay there for the winter....and I don't know if I could just go somewhere to be warm without my sxs.

14 minutes ago, ckf said:

A friend of mines mother was like that. She told the Buick dealer that she wouldn't buy the new station wagon if they removed the plastic seat coverings that said "dealer must remove"   :lol:

:lol:my dad has mats to protect his floor Matt’s in his cars. 

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL...I was just talking to my wife about it and she reminded me that there was always an assortment of throw blankets and quilts folded up on the back of the couch and chairs.  When you sat down, you covered up!

:lol: 

We still have the assortment of blankets.  I use one every morning.  The dog will pull one down to do that dog thing where they make circles on it. 

Just now, Cold War said:

We still have the assortment of blankets.  I use one every morning.  The dog will pull one down to do that dog thing where they make circles on it. 

We have a few but, they aren't required unless you want to take a nap.

Upstairs (den and bedroom) 71 from 6 pm til 11, then 66

Downstairs 72 from 7 am to 6 pm, 65 overnight 

Yes we heat our houses here and for them to feel comfortable we need to run higher temps than cold weather homes. 

Most days the heat only runs a little in the morning. My upstairs rarely kicks on at all. 

Summer is a different story. Lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Shit...now this is a good idea!  I didn't know you could do that!

Ya was a $175cdn option...another thing they finally did to is the passenger side floor mat attaches to the floor like the drivers side finally....not sure if it does with carpet. It didn't on my 18.

68 in the winter. Gas/electric bill is $200 a month at its highest, in the winter. House was built in 1964, 1600 sq ft, retro foam in the walls and newer windows but only 6” of batted in the attic. Working on blowing another 8-10” up there this spring. Furnace is newer but still 80% and running on NG. 

Electric bill in the summer can hit $250 a month if it’s really hot out. A/C is set at 72. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
32 minutes ago, Dave said:

Carpet delete in my new truck...the whole floor is a floor matt. :)

I had a 78 bronco like that, entire floor was thick rubber mat. It was so thick I wasn't even aware when the metal rotted out under it, it was 80% gone before I discovered it.  :lol:

• Like 1