Winter socks

8 hours ago, low-1 said:

When we go out on the land with the Canadian Rangers, we can be 2 weeks+ in -40, living in tents and spending the entire day in the snow... on the sled, setting up or breaking down tents, exercises and operations.

We have a “sock system” issued.  There is a thin, synthetic liner (think something like a calf-length dress sock).  Then, depending on temp, there are a thinner and thicker wool sock.  The thicker ones are ridiculously warm.  Heard stories of the guys in the high Arctic wearing all 3 layers, I’ve never had to.

The liners pull moisture away from the feet and out to the sock, acting as a barrier.  Makes a huge difference.  Even a legit dress sock under whatever wool socks makes a world of difference.

You can discuss socks....the rest of these posers would be fine with some hanes tubers and the sorels their mom bought them 40 years ago

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CFM said:

So what should we call you for not changing it for something usefull ?

And when do windshields protect your feet ? We are talking socks here. 😆 

Just stirring schit with a reality stick. Lol. 😂 

Feel free to call me one of the guys here who actually owns a sled and is actively riding. Ironically, that is a rare thing here.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, Zambroski said:

LOL...mine were black to match my Members Only jacket.  :lol: 

LOL...me too!  Good times.

I preferred my Starter jacket, personally. 

13 minutes ago, Snake said:

Feel free to call me one of the guys here who actually owns a sled and is actively riding. Ironically, that is a rare thing here.....

Indeed. 

32 minutes ago, Snake said:

Thats next door....not here

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I agree ! :thumbsup:

That right there will keep your feet warm on a walk to either of the poles.  Steger mukluks with -100 Baffin Impact liners, and a cut piece of closed cell foam inside for a footpad.  

When I’m on the sled and moving fast enough wind is an issue, or if there’s any chance of water (like ice fishing), I have a set of NEOS Navigator 5 insulated overboots, with the same liners and foam footpads as a second set.

53F26527-7936-43DB-AFCC-E2D94198A877.jpeg

1F107B72-C1C1-44DE-A980-A2D55181681A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

Are the alpaca socks really that warm?

My feet really only start getting cold when standing around. 

That's the  same issue I suffer with , I bought merino socks and I bought a pair of muck boots hopefully this helps me out ! I ordered some alpaca socks also , I am  hoping something works 

33 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Let me know the outcome

Yes , hopefully get out sledding a couple days this week ,to try these out 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2021 at 6:47 PM, Snake said:

6 when we left The Forks, -1 when we hit Jackman, did 150 miles. Yuh, I'll take the time to make sure I got the goods.

Mine we hand made by my friend's mother.

was 12 below or so this morning.  My sock and boot selection were spot on-  Adidas basketball socks (not cotton) with 600g klim boots.  

On 1/31/2021 at 7:05 PM, awful knawful said:

Let me know the outcome

I will give the muck boots and merino socks a 8 out of 10 , very comfy , feet staying warm but still suffer from a small amount of wet sock after 6 hours in the out doors 

2 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Sweating?

Yes , but not like I usually do the boots are awesome , usually my feet are soaked now just slightly damp

4 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

I keep hearing about NATs too.

I dont know of anyone that has them , lots of dunlop boots, I hate them no give to them my legs get to sore