Winter socks

1 minute ago, Ez ryder said:

Hey i have some north of 35 bucks if going out all day doing something active pulling a fresh pr of tube Sox out of the plastic bag is not really a option unless you like cold damp feet 

i really like my ski socks.  Great support all the way up past my calf hams and wick the sweat away.  I can definitely tell the difference if I just threw on some athletics instead. Especially when I pull them off at the end of a ride. 

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is why we are where we are. Fucking grown ass men talking about fucking socks 

You can go back to slapping round Tools, MC and KayakKaren at any time.  Personally, I think talking about anything sled related is more educational.  Plus, because none of them know shit....they tend to stay out of sled threads.  This is good for all!

Yes?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I only every wear thin athletic socks and boots with no more than 600g insulation. Feet have never been cold doing this. 

Like others, years ago realized feet would get cold from sweat, not from lack of insulation. 

I dont have merino socks, but do have thin merino base layers. The stuff is pretty awesome. 

Socks I wear are whatever brand is on sale, that is no cotton. Under Armor, Adidas, etc. I do not own any cotton socks or underwear. 

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

Bahaha, and when the got wet!! Like 2 frozen cinder blocks on each foot. Then my mom started putting bread bags over my feet before the old moon boots went on..foot would all slide around until the bag worked it's way down, wedging itself into the toe box..Ahhhh, the good old days!!:lol:

Ran into a late teen a few yrs ago that i overheard his wet foot issue. Didn’t know if a boot or sled issue but told him about the bread bag trick we grew up on. Saw him later next day at a restaurant and he thanked me. Lol. Oh, duct tape keeps them up pretty well.

Edited by CFM
  • Haha 1

F7 - so socks not a big part of snowmobiling or any outdoor winter activity ?

Should we add Trump or Biden to the thread to make you happy. Maybe Gamestop stocks. Lololol

I have many good Merino wool docks. Great ! Got a pair of Polaris socks from Santa in my Stocking last year, very warm and by far the most comfortable.

Note: I typically don’t ride under 0*F -5ish*as I mostly ride from home and thus can be a little more selective.

Edited by CFM

• Gold Member

I had an old pair of sorrells i finally retired about 6 years ago, wore 3 pairs of wool hunting socks with them and my feet still got cold.

My next pair was baffin and my feet are toasty with just 1 pair of crew socks. They also weigh about half of what the old ones did.

Just now, f7ben said:

How men go sledding

A. Wake up

B. Go to sock drawer and grab whatever socks wife has put in it and put them on

C. Go sledding 

fucking pussies

This was a very misogynistic comment and borderline racist.  In fact, it is racist!

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

How men go sledding

A. Wake up

B. Go to sock drawer and grab whatever socks wife has put in it and put them on

C. Go sledding 

fucking pussies

maybe when your ride is an hour at most between bars but some people stay out all day and put on hundreds of miles and clothing selections important.  

17 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I like merino wool. Still keeps you warm even when its wet

I just bought 10 pairs lol going for the try !!

4 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

maybe when your ride is an hour at most between bars but some people stay out all day and put on hundreds of miles and clothing selections important.  

6 when we left The Forks, -1 when we hit Jackman, did 150 miles. Yuh, I'll take the time to make sure I got the goods.

4 hours ago, The One said:

5 pairs 2 miles from is a dealer worth a try , thank you 

Mine we hand made by my friend's mother.

• Gold Member
10 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Stay tuned. Silk panties are next. I,m guessing you have experience with that.

Anything is possible on this forum.  We did have a member get pegged by an ex while passed out drunk in his youth just to have another member here make fun of him for divulging that....  all the while the member making fun of the guy who was anally raped had a deep dark secret that he had to have fingers inserted into his anus just to get a nut....  silk panties is child’s play for a conversation on this forum.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

My shield is no larger than a postage stamp.

That does suck.....my 850 doo was a really cold ride and I put 1000 miles on in a month where it only got over 0 for a high once or twice 

When we go out on the land with the Canadian Rangers, we can be 2 weeks+ in -40, living in tents and spending the entire day in the snow... on the sled, setting up or breaking down tents, exercises and operations.

We have a “sock system” issued.  There is a thin, synthetic liner (think something like a calf-length dress sock).  Then, depending on temp, there are a thinner and thicker wool sock.  The thicker ones are ridiculously warm.  Heard stories of the guys in the high Arctic wearing all 3 layers, I’ve never had to.

The liners pull moisture away from the feet and out to the sock, acting as a barrier.  Makes a huge difference.  Even a legit dress sock under whatever wool socks makes a world of difference.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Snake said:

My shield is no larger than a postage stamp.

So what should we call you for not changing it for something usefull ?

And when do windshields protect your feet ? We are talking socks here. 😆 

Just stirring schit with a reality stick. Lol. 😂 

Edited by CFM
  • Thanks 1