What are these old school studs?

These were on my 94 I bought.  Never seen studs like this.  Gigantic carbide tip.  The base of the stud is really weird too, very thin.  Does anyone know what these are?  They are sharp and actually work really well and I wouldn't mind replacing some of the missing ones with the same style if possible.

PXL_20210118_004513343.jpg

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, mnstang said:

These were on my 94 I bought.  Never seen studs like this.  Gigantic carbide tip.  The base of the stud is really weird too, very thin.  Does anyone know what these are?  They are sharp and actually work really well and I wouldn't mind replacing some of the missing ones with the same style if possible.

PXL_20210118_004513343.jpg

http://www.2040-parts.com/acs-snowmobile-track-studs-carbide-arrow-wedge-0-75-inch-pack-of-24-i722701/

did little searching as I was bored and curious lol. I think those are them possibly or pretty close anyways. Acs snowmobile studs never heard of them.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

http://www.2040-parts.com/acs-snowmobile-track-studs-carbide-arrow-wedge-0-75-inch-pack-of-24-i722701/

did little searching as I was bored and curious lol. I think those are them possibly or pretty close anyways. Acs snowmobile studs never heard of them.

Sweet thanks!  I was using the wrong search terms.  But now I see if you use wedge studs it comes up with alot.  Looks like a company called fasttrac made alot and also woody's.  I have a few missing ones and others with the tips broken off so I'm going to get some.  They have a different style if securing to the track and now I see that it's called a t nut.  Some eBay listings have smaller packs of 20-25 with backers and the nuts so this was a great find, thank you.

Edited by mnstang
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Sweet thanks!  I was using the wrong search terms.  But now I see if you use wedge studs it comes up with alot.  Looks like a company called fasttrac made alot and also woody's.  I have a few missing ones and others with the tips broken off so I'm going to get some.  They have a different style if securing to the track and now I see that it's called a t nut.  Some eBay listings have smaller packs of 20-25 with backers and the nuts so this was a great find, thank you.

Nice, glad it helped you out. How do those work anyways? They look like they’d bite good. I’ve never seen those before until today.

17 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Nice, glad it helped you out. How do those work anyways? They look like they’d bite good. I’ve never seen those before until today.

I've been really impressed so far.  Granted the sled only has 56 hp but on ice it has complete hookup and will lift the skis and that's with not too many as you can see, average of 1 per bar and a few missing ones and broken ones.

I saw in one listing it says to orient the wedge in one direction for corner traction and another direction for braking and accelerating.  They're all still sharp and I'm guessing they've been installed for quite a while.  I've always used gold diggers before but these seem to work better.  I'm not sure if they're as durable with higher hp or longer lengths.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I've been really impressed so far.  Granted the sled only has 56 hp but on ice it has complete hookup and will lift the skis and that's with not too many as you can see, average of 1 per bar and a few missing ones and broken ones.

I saw in one listing it says to orient the wedge in one direction for corner traction and another direction for braking and accelerating.  They're all still sharp and I'm guessing they've been installed for quite a while.  I've always used gold diggers before but these seem to work better.  I'm not sure if they're as durable with higher hp or longer lengths.

Sounds like they work pretty good. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t they look aggressive. I wonder if they just don’t hold up to higher hp and that’s why you don’t see them? It be interesting to hear how they hold up on bigger sleds if anyone on here has run them before.

Watch the T nuts closely.

I have run that style fastener.  It was in the late 90s.  Hopefully they are improved now, but I had issues with them not holding.  Quite literally, I was flinging studs at speed.  That whole deal ended up being one of those stories.  I was running like hell down a perfect snow/ice covered road.  Best top end the sled ever saw before it popped the motor. (The old saying, they run the best before they blow, is a mantra I live).  Anyhow, drove out to pick up the sled and ended up with a flat tire on the pickup.  The leaker was nicely pointed straight into the tread.  I found another that hadn't fully penetrated the tire.  Those buggers must land perfectly.  The track was missing maybe 5-6 studs total.

• Like 1

There are a couple missing.  But it's fan cooled so not too worried.

Yeah me and my brother were racing our 440's yesterday back to back to back to back long pulls like a full mile each and his was really over achieving and we were talking Saturday how well it's running.  And yes it got towed back and the motor is scrap probably take it apart tonight but it was clanging when I turned it over and now doesn't turn over.  OOPS

• Sad 1