Wildcat rebuild

Cwhite138

I am about to embark on getting my 93 wildcat operational.  Here are some skid pictures. Need pretty much everything so I’m gonna start with tearing that appear. 

with not enough snow for my Snopro I really wish I did this in the summer.

C099E404-6A7B-4642-B619-42BD1D1D7877.jpeg

D7FD2363-E2C8-44D8-BEB7-FBBB3DF9092C.jpeg

6C7F7597-6CF6-48DE-B1DE-95FEA00E5837.jpeg

B00295A1-A1D3-4ED5-AA56-5E64180691B3.jpeg

E0221CCB-F278-4EC9-9C2C-6FED04128ABA.jpeg

0FBE5603-9C07-4979-BA6E-B799E75ED6BB.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice to keep busy in the shop... are you going to do a full restoration? strip, clean paint? Or just mechanical function rebuild & renew?

I too am of the thinking.... Don’t junk it, restore it!

keep us posted.

:thumb:

On 1/23/2021 at 9:21 PM, Icecube said:

Nice to keep busy in the shop... are you going to do a full restoration? strip, clean paint? Or just mechanical function rebuild & renew?

I too am of the thinking.... Don’t junk it, restore it!

keep us posted.

:thumb:

Im torn on what the best plan of action is...  
The sled is already completely disassembled, except for the skid and I have not removed the plastics from chassis. Part of me just wants to jam it back together the other wants to take my time and clean everything up and paint. 

The next step is to get the wood stove in the shop hooked up... the place isnt insulated, if that heats it up enough I'll paint everything with out a doubt. If I still have to bring everything in to work to paint then it will be less likely for me to do any paint. 

I am on the search for a used track, Any one know what kind of lug these things can handle. original was .85. 
Not that I even need more lug but just to keep options open for used stuff. 

• Thanks 1

I know my Jag doesn't look like there is very much room at the top of the tunnel, mine has tunnel protectors and they're pretty worn in some areas from the stock track rubbing it.  My tunnel might be a little different being it's fan cooled, not sure.  I personally like the stock tracks on these.  It may not be the fastest but I think they're the funnest and that's really all that matters especially on am old machine.

I'm having a blast tinkering on my old one and making it better here and there.  Pretty much everything I'm doing is just making it better in some way and that's rewarding and exciting.  And being it's on old equipment it's you can do this stuff and not break the bank which makes it even better to not be so invested.  Although, I am still spending more than I should be haha

• Thanks 1

Awesome boys!

Spending time making old new again is very rewarding.

Hope you get your shop nice and warm, I find if I am comfortable I go the extra mile in my work.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Looks like I'm gonna be building some parts. 
Rear axle is fked.   only two good idlers. 

Im probably going to paint everything. we have black powder coat at work so I will probably do that 

all tore down now except the, top wheels by the springs they are seised on good and apparently I have to completely strip the skid to get this last assembly off..

IMG_4021[1].JPG

IMG_4018[1].JPG

Edited by Cwhite138

Fixed some stuff today.. not on the wild cat but front skid shock mount on the sno pro 

My buddy machined me some Nylatron bushings.  and then the spacers that keep the shock centered. 

1189987252_IMG_40401.thumb.JPG.8a89bd3670de2ba027bce3170cb23f68.JPG

Spacers... didnt account for the Nubs on the track so I had to ruin his good job... apparently there is a reason AC uses thinner OD material for these 

1041195686_IMG_40411.thumb.JPG.2500d2b33dce4458ee5407b321dfdc3d.JPG1615972791_NYLN48431.thumb.JPG.2bf5c0b6941b15de4cd327fd3e8a9985.JPG

looks tight but clearance is clearance 

848124379_IMG_40451.thumb.JPG.4f7181e202a162957b22c0a972907e8b.JPG728231081_IMG_40441.thumb.JPG.91b2554f984702bfaf3fc0a6af1a8bb1.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well my wildcat still looks like this. 958F1519-A144-4E51-BA5E-B5B4431AE2DF.thumb.jpeg.dd5913d6394f65381d4ec02e6abf0ab6.jpeg

and because i was riding is such shitty conditions with out enough idlers on the snopro the rail looks like this. Im throwing on new slides and ignoring it ahahah. We will see how it lasts...ill weld a strip on the bottom this summer if it makes me ahah Gonna get some idlers to. E9095C63-5AE7-40EE-99DE-E98C0B4A4590.thumb.jpeg.aed2057970eee99e0157abc6ffc5a9b1.jpeg

I knew my slide was low in that area... just didnt think it would wear down that fast on an after noon trip... i blame the loggers that turned my trail to the trail in to a road. 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, Tommcat said:

if you need any parts for this project, let me know and i'd be happy to check all of our sources

I will be in contact at some point!  Things on the sledding side of my operation are starting to slow down lol 

tractor and fence repair seem they they are becoming more pressing.  fucking horses 

Looking at our forecast our season might be done this week... I will be ripping the wildcat next year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I cant even keep my own threads on topic... I should call this fixing Cwhite138's junk sleds... 
Just though I would add something.. I thought the reason for my rail/slide fuckage on the the snopro was from having no idlers in the front with shitty snow season.  I'm sure that does not help..  noticed last night while staring at the sled while Grilling on the porch.. My limiting straps are fucked.. The holes are all elongated and they I don't Think they are doing much of anything.  

Has any one ran in to this before? In my mind it makes a lot of sense that there is way more pressure where the rails meet the track than they are supposed to have.

Thought I would add... my limiting straps were home made.... it was only supposed to be for one run, nothing more permanent than a temporary fix :)   
I pretty much toasted my slides I bought last weekend.

Edited by Cwhite138
  • Haha 1

Loose limiter straps alone wouldn't burn through slides in one weekend.  But it could help accelerate the process if you're running in low snow or have a very tight track or any other number of problems.

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Loose limiter straps alone wouldn't burn through slides in one weekend.  But it could help accelerate the process if you're running in low snow or have a very tight track or any other number of problems.

Yea snow is like concrete here and no idlers in that location along with the loose straps.. combo of things. 

I do know that track is not to tight, I normally go a little on the loose side, my drivers have the Nubs that poke though the holes in the track also. I have no clue what they are called.. 
image.png.048d90feb14dac352a57fe9ca4158d1b.png

as far as I know everything else seems to be copasetic 

ITs impressive how little snow the the track on my snopro kicks up when on hard pack.. I really want to get scratchers but the more I think about it I dont know how I feel about stuff hanging and dragging.. 

If this kind of winter is gonna be normal for my area now something is gonna have to happen. 

I'd just be careful if the snow is that bad.  Slides are cheap but if you're burning through that fast you're probably overheating your track too which will weaken the structure of it and shorten the life.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
15 hours ago, mnstang said:

Haven't seen them there but have seen loose rivets before.  I would just put new rivets in and not worry about it 

That is the plan, I started removing them the other night.  On the inside of the tunnel they have a thin piece of metal that is also held in place by those rivets... Makes it miserable to drill. 

I get a kick at the amount of rivets they use in these old sleds. lol and the bracket for that jack shaft bearing, some one worse at welding than me gobbed that together lol   

On 1/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, Cwhite138 said:

I am on the search for a used track, Any one know what kind of lug these things can handle. original was .85. 
Not that I even need more lug but just to keep options open for used stuff. 

I put a 1 1/4" Ripsaw track on my 1992 wildcat.  It was too much though, cleared everything when accelerating but the track deflection when braking or even just slowing down on the right surface would cause the lugs to hit and vibrate the tunnel. Was not really doing damage because no studs. But that was my experience.  Despite the rubbing, the sled would run through powder that was over the hood. I have pictures somewhere. 

53 minutes ago, WildMann said:

I put a 1 1/4" Ripsaw track on my 1992 wildcat.  It was too much though, cleared everything when accelerating but the track deflection when braking or even just slowing down on the right surface would cause the lugs to hit and vibrate the tunnel. Was not really doing damage because no studs. But that was my experience.  Despite the rubbing, the sled would run through powder that was over the hood. I have pictures somewhere. 

left the drivers alone and skid in stock location run that? 

Good to know, I'm shooting for a 1" track. there is even one on my shelf.. just need tp convince my buddy to sell it.

Edited by Cwhite138

39 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

left the drivers alone and skid in stock location run that? 

Good to know, I'm shooting for a 1" track. there is even one on my shelf.. just need tp convince my buddy to sell it.

Yes, I left everything alone. Although I should have switched up to the super sprockets like you have. If the track was not tight and kept that way, the extra load would cause it to ratchet. Tight was not a bad thing considering the deflection issue also.  lol  

found the pics.   

IMG_2143.thumb.JPG.660765e9c532a655079a68bab726fa2a.JPGIMG_2144.thumb.JPG.d4e6123a407825be1b8ad42baca7b976.JPG

2 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

That is the plan, I started removing them the other night.  On the inside of the tunnel they have a thin piece of metal that is also held in place by those rivets... Makes it miserable to drill. 

I get a kick at the amount of rivets they use in these old sleds. lol and the bracket for that jack shaft bearing, some one worse at welding than me gobbed that together lol   

I remember when I tore apart the ZR700 I had, I used a chiesel to cut the heads of the rivets off, and then you could just punch them out the other side. Drilling loose rivets is a bitch, the just spin!