Well that sucks

Dave

Unfortunately I think it's only the beginning....they'll all shut down. People will still ride, but it'll be off trail and lake running. Fear there will be a lot of deaths this year. Already had 3 people through the ice on GBay this past weekend. Lots of city folks hunkering down at their cottages with brand new sleds and no where to ride.

The entire Province will be closed by Monday for the duration of this lockdown.   This is going to start a domino effect.    The Northerners are already pissed with Southern people not following the travel restrictions and this will be the easiest way to keep people at home.    

4 hours ago, Skeeter21i said:

Unfortunately I think it's only the beginning....they'll all shut down. People will still ride, but it'll be off trail and lake running. Fear there will be a lot of deaths this year. Already had 3 people through the ice on GBay this past weekend. Lots of city folks hunkering down at their cottages with brand new sleds and no where to ride.

And newbies to the sport... 

We've been sledding in the Apsley area since Winter '70 & there have been a few drownings due to bad ice over the years. The most recent pair were a couple that were on Jack's Lake much too soon for the conditions a couple of years ago. The 'narrows' is bad & not safe. Anstruther has had 3 or 4 drownings @ the north end when people drove into the open water (mid winter even in the coldest winters). 

You have folks that are new to cottaging or never wintered. They would likely have no idea where the 'no go' areas of their lake are.

• Platinum Contributing Member

District 9 got snow today and are supposed to get a fair bit more over the balance of the week.

I really should stop looking at TWN and just convince myself that the entire province is lacking in snow but I probably will torture myself for the next month.

100 km season. Yeah.

Join the protest boys and get a ride in.

Details

Event by Matt Oreilly

Saturday at 10 AM EST
-20–-14°C Mostly Sunny

Price: Free

Public  · Anyone on or off Facebook

As everyone is aware, The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit is requiring all Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs’ (OFSC) trails and trails utilizing Crown Land in the health unit district to close Thursday for the duration of the province’s stay-at-home order.
They are doing this while flights are still arriving at the airports, Costco and Walmart are still open for in store shopping of non - essential goods, and the situation in long term care homes aren't any better.
Somehow the government officials believe that if they keep taking away more and more of our rights then the COVID cases will go down.
This isn't right! There is no evidence that shutting down trails will have any affect on COVID cases. As a reference, there are a total of 7 active COVID-19 cases in this health district.
If anything, shutting down the trails that are well regulated will cause more problems. People will now end up riding off trails and on unsafe lakes, causing more ice deaths and emergency crews to respond.
Sledding is one of the most socially distanced outdoor activities that one can do, and I believe a lot of us agree.
A protest should be staged against these measures. If enough sledders shown up hopefully we can make a difference! If we don't, I believe the entire OFSC Trail network is in jeopardy in the coming days.
Tentative plan:
If you have a trailer: Meet at the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit in North Bay (sleds and trailers), then drive North of Highway 11 to Sand Dam Road parking lot to unload. A ride on snowmobiles will then take place, heading towards Mattawa and back (or as far as you'd like to go).
Remember to be socially distanced, wear masks when you're not wearing your helmet and be smart. We don't want the news to paint us as anti makers! We are anti trail closures!
See Less

Stopped at the Seguin Timms today, couple dozen trailers, guys getting a ride in before the shutdown. From the road trails looked good, recently groomed. On way home saw the Carling Trailblazer groomer out just north of Parry Sound, guess their doing whatever they can

On 1/21/2021 at 11:38 AM, steve6 said:

One of the clubs posted on FB they are allowed to groom while in shut down to be ready for re-opening (if it happens)

At least the OPP officers who are riding them can have smooth trails. :pc: