Anybody done a DIY roof top solar?

BOHICA

• Gold Member

This year is the year for me. Going to wait a couple months to see what Biden gets shoved through...  maybe larger credits and lifting tariffs on Chinese solar panels.  If Biden doesn’t follow thru on promises I want to be up and running by end of June.  Currently 26% solar tax credit extend for 2 years in the last Pakistani gender study bill that trickled on people with $600.  My state offer 100% tax deduction spread over 4 years...  % deduction by year 40,20,20,20.  My utility offers 1 for 1 net metering but with no payment for excess credit that expire once a year.
This is what I’m looking at. https://unboundsolar.com/1891226/unbound-solar/solar-kits/13-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-solaredge-inverter-and-40-mission-solar-325w-panels
i just get hammered on taxes and it makes me sick that I plan to do something every year for 3 or 4 years to keep more of my money.

Anybody done there own?  Tips, tricks,secrets?

this is over sized system currently for my needs but with the EV pickup coming that I ordered hopefully comes in early 2022.... it should be about right size and maybe room for the wife to go full EV as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

This year is the year for me. Going to wait a couple months to see what Biden gets shoved through...  maybe larger credits and lifting tariffs on Chinese solar panels.  If Biden doesn’t follow thru on promises I want to be up and running by end of June.  Currently 26% solar tax credit extend for 2 years in the last Pakistani gender study bill that trickled on people with $600.  My state offer 100% tax deduction spread over 4 years...  % deduction by year 40,20,20,20.  My utility offers 1 for 1 net metering but with no payment for excess credit that expire once a year.
This is what I’m looking at. https://unboundsolar.com/1891226/unbound-solar/solar-kits/13-kw-grid-tied-solar-system-with-solaredge-inverter-and-40-mission-solar-325w-panels
i just get hammered on taxes and it makes me sick that I plan to do something every year for 3 or 4 years to keep more of my money.

this is over sized system currently for my needs but with the EV pickup coming that I ordered hopefully comes in early 2022.... it should be about right size and maybe room for the wife to go full EV as well.

I can’t remember all the details but my boss recently helped his dad install solar and they installed arrays out on the ground - told me it’s easier to clean/maintain them that way??  I know Tesla now has rooftop solar tiles with 25 year warranty to maintain 80% of their power capacity.  Sounds like you’ll still be on the grid for nighttime power?  Would be cool to get a power wall setup and go completely off grid. I’d like to do a yard based setup but depends if Biden pays off my wife’s student loan debt. 

• Gold Member

I like the whole dummied down kit design but I think I might be able to specs system out cheaper here.  The 13 kw kit from Unbound takes two 7.6 inverters but Solaredge makes the 7.6 inverters with level 2 EV charger built in...  would be nice to get 2 of them. And have a level 2 charger on each side of the garage.

https://www.solaris-shop.com/solaredge-ev-charing-se7600h-us-7-6kw-inverter/

I think I could piecemeal my kit together for several thousand less

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, XC.Morrison said:

I can’t remember all the details but my boss recently helped his dad install solar and they installed arrays out on the ground - told me it’s easier to clean/maintain them that way??  I know Tesla now has rooftop solar tiles with 25 year warranty to maintain 80% of their power capacity.  Sounds like you’ll still be on the grid for nighttime power?  Would be cool to get a power wall setup and go completely off grid. I’d like to do a yard based setup but depends if Biden pays off my wife’s student loan debt. 

I don’t want to go off grid.  Have 1 PHEV suv currently.  Will have 1 full EV next year and possible 2 with in a couple.  All my charging on vehicles will likely be night time or low solar output and with a 1 for 1 net metering the power company is a super cheap battery storage system.

I think it would take a hell of a battery system to hit a 180 kwh ev battery with a potential of 2 of those in rare instances of heavy ev vehicle use.

45 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’d have to ask why? It’s still too expensive. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’d have to ask why? It’s still too expensive. 

I’m prolly 1500-2000 a year.  My heavy months I’m push over 70 kwh on a dail average.  Adding a full EV pickup next year and possible a full EV in 2023 or 2024 my electric bill will push higher.  Then I get to eliminate gas as well.  With tax credit in deduction with out factoring in tax benefits I’m around 10 year pay back.

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, BOHICA said:

I’m prolly 1500-2000 a year.  My heavy months I’m push over 70 kwh on a dail average.  Adding a full EV pickup next year and possible a full EV in 2023 or 2024 my electric bill will push higher.  Then I get to eliminate gas as well.  With tax credit in deduction with out factoring in tax benefits I’m around 10 year pay back.

How long ya plan on living there? The average person spends 7 yrs in a home.

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I’m prolly $1500-2000 a year.  My heavy months I’m push over 70 kwh on a dail average.  Adding a full EV pickup next year and possible a full EV in 2023 or 2024 my electric bill will push higher.  Then I get to eliminate gas as well.  With tax credit in deduction with out factoring in tax benefits I’m around 10 year pay back.

3 hours ago, BOHICA said:

Still crapshoot technology with unknown maintainence costs. As for the full EV vehicles, I think Toyota is more inline with the near future. True hybrids like the rav4 prime and their emerging hydrogen technology. I’m really liking that Prime. 

• 1 month later...
  • Gold Member

Final design is done...  utility approved my plans.  Now just waiting on City to give me their blessing on electrical.  24 panels on East and 24 panels on West roof.  Should be in the neighborhood of 115% of my annual needs.  If the Green Act makes it and bumps the the tax credit up back up to 30% it will cost less then a top of the line snowmobile and actually turn a “profit” for me.  Figure over 25 year life span and warranty this will provide me a value of $75k+ easily not factoring in inflation or cost increases in a gallon gas or electric rates 

01716EB8-6A1C-440C-BB6C-7ABF25933098.thumb.jpeg.f4dd64d506e2193c48284fa247fe40cc.jpeg