so, this winter sucks

Crnr2Crnr

On 2/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, Doug said:

Ran across this Friday Ski-Doo submarine.  We did stop and help them get it out.

IMG950630.jpg

FB_IMG_1613315125989.jpg

how in the hell...?????

someone riding outside the markers?

funny, as much snow as Southern Wisco has I'm still seeing shitloads of rigs going north/south everyday on 51/39

we have early season riding conditions just north of the beltline of the state.  

37 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

how in the hell...?????

someone riding outside the markers?

funny, as much snow as Southern Wisco has I'm still seeing shitloads of rigs going north/south everyday on 51/39

we have early season riding conditions just north of the beltline of the state.  

He missed a culvert that was well marked.  We haven't been to our place up Nth since December.  May as well ride around home and wait until it melts then start going up Nth. We'll have all our trails groomed by Thursday and I don't work Fridays in the winter so time to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday was our last day and then we left.  Things were already pretty destroyed.  Many reports still stating good but far from it unless you like riding slushy dirt, mud and puddles.   Cannot imagine what all the warm temps over the last few days have managed to do along with any weekday riders.

Went to our place up Nth to check things out since we haven't been up there since December ride if the trails looked good.  Was plenty surprised how good the trails looked on Friday so rode Wisconsin and into Michigan.  By time we got back you could see trails were getting soft and starting to burn off in Wisconsin.  Rode Saturday from Wisconsin to Iron River Michigan, Sidnaw, Ishpeming, Republic, Amasa and back.  Still good snow in Michigan but towns and trail crossing were getting burn off.  At this point I wouldn't drive out of our place but trailer up to Michigan.  They're call for 2-5 inches of snow but then temps of 40 all week.  502 miles for Friday and Saturday's ride 2800 miles so far for the year

6 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

well shit, looks as though I should have gone to Boulder Junction this morning... :smack:

and three minutes after I posted that I said 'F'it' got in the truck and drove to Boulder Junction to put some break-in miles on the fresh engine

North of Hwy 8 they got pounded pretty good with 7-8" of snow

51/39 north bound from 8 by Tomahawk up was a mess on the way up

Public lot in BJ was a bit deep but winter tires and a steady throttle got me in and out

Rode to the Pea Patch in Manitowish on 2 (?) for an olive burger/PBR and 'Wayne' was performing  

then back to BJ on 8 and headed home

if you have the time, if they groom and if tomorrow doesn't get too warm - get your ass up north(west) before it's gone again  ;)

We were up by Ojibwa (east of Hayward) this weekend .... no sleds, just a few couples to get away and hang out for the weekend.  Friday, things actually looked pretty good up there and we saw/heard a LOT of sleds in the area.  Saturday, it got ugly in a hurry as we could see more brown/black & standing water than good snow coverage.  Still a lot of sleds out though, trying to make the most of it.  I honestly figured Saturday was the final straw as far as trail riding goes and seeing how bad things had deteriorated.  But I woke up yesterday, and while I was drinking my coffee it started to snow .... and by the time I was starting our second pot of coffee for the crew it was REALLY snowing.  By the time we got things cleaned up, packed up, and heading home it was a glorified white out type of snow and we were driving on probably 3" to 4" of heavy, wet snow.  I think I saw the area received the better part of 6" yesterday, which will give the area at least a couple more days for anyone still looking to ride.  But the forecast looks to be a rough one, and I'm guessing it won't last long .... the Weenie Roast up in Cable will probably be more of a water skipping even than radar runs!

• 2 weeks later...