so, this winter sucks

Crnr2Crnr

idk if we're going to get much of anything out of this system, and this winter totally sucks so far for temps and accumulation

by this time last year I was over a thousand miles

global warm........ i... n... g?

Absolutely fucking sucks.  Last night the models were looking great for at least a half a foot or more and this morning a complete about face and lucky to wind up with little to nothing.  Our annual week long ride was supposed to start next week and looking like trails will not be open yet. 

On 1/14/2021 at 8:39 PM, jdsky said:

Absolutely fucking sucks.  Last night the models were looking great for at least a half a foot or more and this morning a complete about face and lucky to wind up with little to nothing.  Our annual week long ride was supposed to start next week and looking like trails will not be open yet. 

I couldn't take it any longer yesterday, and rode around our friends field before the Packer game to burn some of last seasons Stabil-Fuel out of the tank.

eight glorious miles this season, I may be up for some sort of an award

is this what it's like to be a snowmobiler from Illinois or Iowa - because I hate it

still haven't bought trail passes for either sled yet... 

• Like 1

I've got 10 miles or so of lake running.  Sucks.  Hopefully this weather pattern changes soon.  I guess if there is any bright side Bontz can buy his sled back for pennies on the dollar if that does not happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdsky said:

I've got 10 miles or so of lake running.  Sucks.  Hopefully this weather pattern changes soon.  I guess if there is any bright side Bontz can buy his sled back for pennies on the dollar if that does not happen.

I wrote January off a while ago, here comes February and March - or we're f@cked

Little over 500 miles so far which is low. Going to try to make some time up taking next Thursday and Friday off next weekend for the wife's first ride of the year.  Won't work anymore Friday's the rest of the season and will be taking more Thursday's.

We were up by Hayward (Ojibwa) last weekend, and a few of my buddies rode.  They were able to put on about 200 miles in a day and a half, and the majority of it was .... decent.  They had to fight through some snirt in the heavily traveled areas (up along Hwy77 between Moose Lake and Round Lake).  But for the most part they were pretty happy, all things considered.  Of course we woke up Sunday AM to about 4" of fresh powder and had to leave.  My other buddy who came along, was anxious to ride after being out of the game for 20'ish years.  He bought his dad's 2005 XC, which hadn't been ridden in 4 years but was meticulously maintained.  A guy who wrenches for a local dealer (ATV's more so than sleds) gave it a good look the weekend prior and gave my buddy the green light.  Well .... he made it about 20 miles from the cabin, to the Musky Tail bar ... and the sled was on fire when he parked it!!  It didn't burn down to the point of being a charred pile in the lot ... they got it extinguished.  But his weekend was short lived.  It's currently at Hayward Powersports, but doesn't sound like they're in much of a hurry to look at is so my buddy is probably gonna head up there to get it Friday.  My only regret is not getting it recorded on my phone!! LOL   

On 1/17/2021 at 8:26 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

I couldn't take it any longer yesterday, and rode around our friends field before the Packer game to burn some of last seasons Stabil-Fuel out of the tank.

eight glorious miles this season, I may be up for some sort of an award

is this what it's like to be a snowmobiler from Illinois or Iowa - because I hate it

still haven't bought trail passes for either sled yet... 

yes, this is what its like in illinois..............it blows.  we have our annual trip to st.germain planned for the radar runs at slo's, im getting worried.  3 of us went to Cadillac mi last weekend just to get some miles on.  nw illinois, sw wisconsin have a ton of snow. 

830 miles so far.  Went to Hurley Wednesday night and rode Thursday and Friday come home Saturday before it gets crazy.  Clean the sleds tomorrow after they've thawed out and check the weather to see where we'll ride next weekend.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

830 miles so far.  Went to Hurley Wednesday night and rode Thursday and Friday come home Saturday before it gets crazy.  Clean the sleds tomorrow after they've thawed out and check the weather to see where we'll ride next weekend.

You're having a pretty decent season, all things considered :thumbsup:  And there's no denying you made the right call coming home before the craziness sets in up there!  I miss that ride ... we normally do a run from Lake Namakagan (Cable) to Island Lake (Bear Chasers).  That's always been a fun one - even though Bear Chasers can be BUSY.

Now's the time I'm pissed that I'm fighting the arm/shoulder/nerve issues and sold my sled.  All reports from up by the cabin are good .... like, REALLY GOOD.  I'd be up there right now in a normal year.  Even if it's supposed to be colder than normal.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Ran across this grooming today.  After I was done there was only 2 markers

20210205_113245.jpg

looks a smidge tight there....

our shit opens up tomorrow - of course it has to be -900F when we finally open up but I'll stop complaining
https://www.co.marathon.wi.us/Departments/ParksRecreationForestry/Recreation/Snowmobiling.aspx

https://co.lincoln.wi.us/forestry-land-and-parks/page/snowmobilewinter-atv-0

https://www.langladecounty.org/resources/trail_reports/

On 2/6/2021 at 10:50 PM, Doug said:

The year is starting to pick up.  307 miles today all South great trails and new scenery 

20210206_214342.jpg

must feel odd to be riding near home Doug... good thing you have that fancy gauge to get you home.  :)