Gimme the scoop on the 2021 ...

Bontz

12 hours ago, Doug said:

Not questioning anybody option but I will say I bought the right sled with a VR1 137.  No longer a ditch banger but sensibly fast trail rider.  Just turned 700 miles so far this year and no complaints.  Wife has my old sled from last year 2020 XC 137 850 and we switched a couple times.  Still think they're both good sleds for my riding but the wind protection and the hand warmer setup is a nice improvement on the VR1.  I have trouble keeping my hands warm. The gauge on the VR1 compared to the PIDD really makes the PIDD look old.  Again just my opinion for the riding style I'm looking for.

Yup, most people will really like the gauge and improved wind protection.  Personally, as long as I can see temp and speed and fuel I’m good.  I didn’t even get the PIDD on my 2021.  Don’t need another screen in front of me while riding, I ride to get away from screens.  

31 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yup, most people will really like the gauge and improved wind protection.  Personally, as long as I can see temp and speed and fuel I’m good.  I didn’t even get the PIDD on my 2021.  Don’t need another screen in front of me while riding, I ride to get away from screens.  

Although I did snowcheck the VR1 and had the 7s gauge, I gotta agree that I would have been just fine with the standard gauge.  Just like you mention, all I really need to see is my temp (most important to me) and then fuel and either RPM's or MPH.  That said, the 7s really is pretty cool.  But the reason we ride is to RIDE and enjoy snowmobiling ... not looking at a glorified iPad and all the technology that goes with it.  Call me old, I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Although I did snowcheck the VR1 and had the 7s gauge, I gotta agree that I would have been just fine with the standard gauge.  Just like you mention, all I really need to see is my temp (most important to me) and then fuel and either RPM's or MPH.  That said, the 7s really is pretty cool.  But the reason we ride is to RIDE and enjoy snowmobiling ... not looking at a glorified iPad and all the technology that goes with it.  Call me old, I guess.

This year we're riding areas we normally don't ride and I'm using the map a lot.  I also ussual come up earlier than other guys so when they get up they start calling us to see where we're at to meet up so the gauge works out for me.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

My 137 VR1 is waaaaaayyyy better sled than my 2019 Indy XC.  Everything from the wind protection to the hand warmers to that awesome dash.  N Wisconsin trails we used that gps map all the time.  UP wouldn't need in and N MN maybe not either but WI the trail maps look like a plate of spaghetti.  I can ride this VR1 way harder through the corners than I could with the xc.  Very happy with the improvement.   Oh and Bontz you fucking sellout..... :D

• Haha 1

For me the Matryx seat sucks. I like to ride forward and the narrow dirtbike type seat has no support. I know many will say it is made that way for aggressive riders. That does not change my opinion, that I am entitled to, and several others that don't like it. Otherwise it is a good sled. 650 is strong off the bottom and through the midrange. I still prefer my XC850 137, which I have not rode yet this year.

Interesting to read you prefer your XC over the Matryx, @racerdave  I was reading "Pockets" (HCS guy) feedback in one of the Facebook groups regarding the difference between the VR1 and the Assault (because I was considering POSSIBLY going back to an Assault for next year).  He made it abundantly clear there's a noticeable difference, and the only way to recognize it is by riding the sleds back-to-back.  Basically, he made it sound like the Assault is still great as a crossover sled but as a trail sled the VR1 is the way to go ... which isn't necessarily a surprise.  But there sure seems to be a lot of guys claiming the Assault is a no brainer to choose as a trail sled.  I'm still hoping to see the XCR in a Matryx build ... ideally as a 137 but I'm guessing it's only going to come as a 129?  We'll see.  I still think the smartest approach is to wait and not even bother with Snowcheck .... but I don't know if I can stick to my guns on that approach.

It will be interesting to see what Snowcheck prices are this year.  I saw one dealer who must have gotten one of what I ordered, and had it priced on the show room floor for a grand more than mine was out the door, and that didn't include tax, setup, and license fees.

I generally look at MSRP as what the final price will be, putting the sled on the trailer (during Snowcheck).  At least that's been a pretty close number the past few sleds I've purchased.  The price increase seen during in-season purchases is expected, I guess .... especially the market the way it is now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 8:58 AM, Bontz said:

I'm still hoping to see the XCR in a Matryx build ... ideally as a 137 but I'm guessing it's only going to come as a 129?  We'll see.  I still think the smartest approach is to wait and not even bother with Snowcheck .... but I don't know if I can stick to my guns on that approach.

I'm curious to see if they stick the 600 in an XCR Matryx for cross country racing.  If the aero is good, can't see why the wouldn't.

Rode my wife's sled (2020 XC 137) all last weekend because of the taller windshield and below zero temp.  It's my old sled so I set the suspension up close to what I had it at.  Ride wise they handle similar but the Matryx does handle the rougher trails better. I could have turned the suspension up on the XC but didn't want to deal with it in the cold.  I did put hi/lo adjustments on the shocks of the Matryx and the XC also has hi/lo shocks on.  The new gauge on the Matryx makes the PIDD look old and the ease of reading the new gauge at speed is nice.  Paging through the different screens with the hand controls was easy.  The handle bar warmers on the Matryx is a big hit for me.  Even with the taller windshield on the XC I had to put the gauntlets on where I've ridden the Matryx in 5 below and didn't need them.  I have trouble keeping my hand warm.  What I did like more on the XC is my knees were not hitting the cowling as bad as they do on the Matryx.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Rode my wife's sled (2020 XC 137) all last weekend because of the taller windshield and below zero temp.  It's my old sled so I set the suspension up close to what I had it at.  Ride wise they handle similar but the Matryx does handle the rougher trails better. I could have turned the suspension up on the XC but didn't want to deal with it in the cold.  I did put hi/lo adjustments on the shocks of the Matryx and the XC also has hi/lo shocks on.  The new gauge on the Matryx makes the PIDD look old and the ease of reading the new gauge at speed is nice.  Paging through the different screens with the hand controls was easy.  The handle bar warmers on the Matryx is a big hit for me.  Even with the taller windshield on the XC I had to put the gauntlets on where I've ridden the Matryx in 5 below and didn't need them.  I have trouble keeping my hand warm.  What I did like more on the XC is my knees were not hitting the cowling as bad as they do on the Matryx.  

isn't Skinz making knee pads for them yet?   have a set on one of my Sno Pro's and they are great, really need to order a set for the other....