ATV/UTV/SXS & 4WD's on snowmobile trails

Was doing some light reading on the other site and was reminded of just how much this particular topic irritates me.  Then did some more light reading on the FB page a member provided a link to and can see what we're going to be up against in the future.  Disturbing.

On a humorous note --- https://www.facebook.com/KarenB256/videos/10221349294273148/

This on the other hand makes my blood boil --- https://www.facebook.com/100007618937352/videos/2882505722013364/

Thought @SayatodaU.P.eh? left HCS or got the boot?  Thanks for defending common f@cking sense Nick! 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

14 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

If those are discarded trail for sleds, like they are here, I’d lose my fucking kind of I saw them out on the trails.

Lose.

My.

Fucking.

Mind.

I had a you at Walmart moment a few years back with one that almost straight took me out in a blind corner. I was legit on a sled only trail. When I threw my left hand up to signal my wife and in-laws behind me that there was oncoming traffic, I “somehow” took the assholes left mirror right off. Weird. I was off my sled and at his drivers door WAY before he expected me. Wife almost took me out with her sled to get me to move away from the guy. He took off right shortly after that. The bitch is, there was a seasonal road, right next to the trail that he could have been on but he chose the sled trail for some stupid reason. 

The biggest problem here in Michigan is that there are very few sled only trails and no one in this state can get any legislation passed to keep them out of the woods during sled season. I would like them to stay out of the woods during sled season but legally, here anyway, they don’t have to. I would be a little more cognizant if I owned one and was trying to use it this time of the year than most of the people I see using them but honestly, especially during shit sled riding seasons like this one so far, i would be hard pressed to not go out for at least a little cruise. So I see both sides of the coin, really. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

UTV's are what? up to 64" wide?  Sleds around 44".  Some trails in northeast WI in some areas aren't wide enough for both.

Just pisses me off when I see AVT's/UTV's on the groomed trails rutting the fucking piss out of them.  Snowmobiles and sleds shouldn't be on the same trails.

• Gold Member

I’ve run into a handful on the trails when they became popular years ago but haven’t seen any in a while in NH or Maine. The hand full that I’ve run into years ago were fucking huge coming down a tight trail barely wide enough for two sleds let alone a tracked sxs. I believe NH has a rule now that doesn’t allow tracked things over 54”. I don’t want to see them on sled trails at all very dangerous for the sled riders if you ask me.

15 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ve run into a handful on the trails when they became popular years ago but haven’t seen any in a while in NH or Maine. The hand full that I’ve run into years ago were fucking huge coming down a tight trail barely wide enough for two sleds let alone a tracked sxs. I believe NH has a rule now that doesn’t allow tracked things over 54”. I don’t want to see them on sled trails at all very dangerous for the sled riders if you ask me.

They don't run tracks here. Just tires. And total fuck groomed trails right up. 

• Like 1

isn't enough that these c@nts have 9 months of the year to use their toys, but they also need to take them on groomed trails maintained by SNOWMOBILE clubs and rut the shit out of the trail?  they're useless on snow and most riders can't control them in my opinion.  there was an idiot two winters ago on his 4WD ATV - stuck in his own ruts, sideways in the middle of the trail.  I bet I saw 50 sleds drive around him without offering him or his tard buddy any help from the watering hole just across the road.  

IDK how other states are but in Wisco sleds can't be wider than 48" - how wide are most ATV's/UTV's & SXS's?  Can't imagine coming across a Jeep heading the opposite direction...

It is illegal to refuse inspection of your snowmobile for suspected sound violations or other equipment violations.You cannot operate, offer for sale or sell snowmobile that is wider than 48 inches if it was manufactured after May 7, 1994.Snowmobilers must stay on the right side of the trail and proceed with caution when approaching oncoming snowmobiles.Tampering with an odometer or hour meter is prohibited. Contact DNR law enforcement at 608-266-2142 for directions on how to re-place or service a meter legally.Equ

7 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

isn't enough that these c@nts have 9 months of the year to use their toys, but they also need to take them on groomed trails maintained by SNOWMOBILE clubs and rut the shit out of the trail?  they're useless on snow and most riders can't control them in my opinion.  there was an idiot two winters ago on his 4WD ATV - stuck in his own ruts, sideways in the middle of the trail.  I bet I saw 50 sleds drive around him without offering him or his tard buddy any help from the watering hole just across the road.  

IDK how other states are but in Wisco sleds can't be wider than 48" - how wide are most ATV's/UTV's & SXS's?  Can't imagine coming across a Jeep heading the opposite direction...

It is illegal to refuse inspection of your snowmobile for suspected sound violations or other equipment violations.You cannot operate, offer for sale or sell snowmobile that is wider than 48 inches if it was manufactured after May 7, 1994.Snowmobilers must stay on the right side of the trail and proceed with caution when approaching oncoming snowmobiles.Tampering with an odometer or hour meter is prohibited. Contact DNR law enforcement at 608-266-2142 for directions on how to re-place or service a meter legally.Equ

Michigan has a bunch of trail classifications. There’s snowmobile trails. Which if the trail isn’t running on an ORV trail, ORV route, county or state road, only sleds can be on it. Most are maintained to 8’ wide. 

Then you have ORV routes which can have anything wheeled on them as long as they have an ORV sticker on them. 

Then you have ORV trails which are for wheeled ORVs with a width of 50” or less. 

Then MCCT trails which are only maintained to 24” so those are basically single track dirt bike trails. 

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ohh yup that piss me off. That’s kind of a selfish asshole move on the sxs owners part.

It is very rare to see an atv or sxs with tracks on it here. If you do see one, it’s out doing actual work, not for play usually. 

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It is very rare to see an atv or sxs with tracks on it here. If you do see one, it’s out doing actual work, not for play usually. 

I don’t recall ever seeing a atv/sxs with just tires here only tracked ones but like I said it’s been years since I’ve seen one. I think it illegal here with just tires thankfully. You guys need to get that changed ASAP.

15 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I don’t recall ever seeing a atv/sxs with just tires here only tracked ones but like I said it’s been years since I’ve seen one. I think it illegal here with just tires thankfully. You guys need to get that changed ASAP.

They are trying to get something into law but it’s a fight. 

3 hours ago, A05GSHO said:

UTV's are what? up to 64" wide?  Sleds around 44".  Some trails in northeast WI in some areas aren't wide enough for both.

Just pisses me off when I see AVT's/UTV's on the groomed trails rutting the fucking piss out of them.  Snowmobiles and sleds shouldn't be on the same trails.

Some are 50 and they go up to 72 stock

2 hours ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Theres a giant problem with atvs,and vehicles on sled trails here.  Fucking twats complain that because most trails are "crown land" they are entitled to be on them,  destroying them. Im glad I sold my sled

I have no issue with them on the trail if they're running tracks.

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

They don't run tracks here. Just tires. And total fuck groomed trails right up. 

Not much fun running without tracks on a groomed trail. In the powders a different story.

The few times I've rode in Wisconsin I've seen the sxs and the ruts.  Lame as fuck.  Illegal in MN on groomed snowmobile except for two select state forests that I don't ride in.

I don't even know why you'd want to do it even if it's legal in your state.  Just go be a quad tard on the lake with your beer cooler and wife-sister.  Its lame, slow, everyone will hate you, and super dangerous.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:10 PM, XCR1250 said:

Never saw a 72" wide SXS, my RZR XP 1000 is 65".

Can am x3 is either 64 or 72 razr turbo s is 72

@XCR1250

http://ir.polaris.com/investors/news/news-details/2018/The-72-Inch-Polaris-RZR-Is-Here-Introducing-the-RZR-XP-Turbo-S--Unleash-the-Beast/default.aspx

Edited by Dave
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dave said:

And that doesn't include the guys that put offset wheels and truck tires on them.

• Like 1

My friend just asked if I wanted to go up to NH and ride the SxS this weekend. Jericho is open for them still. 

I'm not a fan of salting my rig but if I had a inclosed trailer like I have for the sled's I would. It's not like I would be breaking the law and snow cover sucks right now anyway.

I know I won't  go if they had good snow coverage. OHRV use would be limited at that point. I can see guys getting out of snowmobiling and going to the side by side with trail access improving every year and less snow. I was surprised how much I like them coming from a dirt bike background. And just like sled's the wife and I can go together and ride all day.

Edited by Doomxz600