Any builders...insulation and shower surround question

Paramuir

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yep.  A quick drive through any neighborhood will show who knew what they were doing when properly venting and insulating and who didn't.  It's like those folks at the home improvement joints on the weekend heading out with a rented blower or tons of insulation. You just know they are gonna fuck stuff up because they have no idea what they are doing.  All they think is "how hard can it be to add insulation?  I can do that!"

Fuck venting and airflow dynamics!  OOOOPS!

:lol:

LOL...yes, so true!

You cannot not underestimate the things stupid people can and will do!

:lol:

1 hour ago, irv said:

If it hasn't happened to you then I disagree, to point. In our old house (built in the 40's) we had severe ice dams where the water actually started dripping through the ceiling. It was a nightmare and a quick installation of more insulation and the clearing of ice from the gutters. It wasn't fun!!

Our latest house, when I had the roof done, 10+ yrs ago, we had the ice and water shield installed from gutter to the peak on the cathedral side but only 6 feet, or what the ever the code now says, on the left side of the house.

Colored me paranoid but after having to deal with the mess at my old house, I more than concerned with our new one and wish I had of had the shield installed all the way to the peak on other side.

It builds up right where the bathrooms are and of course that side doesn't receive a whole lot of sun (faces the east but neighbors house blocks the morning sun) so I get very little melting to help dissolve the dam.

Obviously, I should have dealt with this when I noticed it this past summer, (not from a lack of trying) but with the very limited room I got claustrophobic trying to climb up in there. Guess this spring I will be calling someone to do it for me.  

House 1.jpg

HPIM1090 (Medium).JPG

Looks like in the old house the "attic" space is a living space...common in older homes, that also create another set of issues when it comes to circulation in the spaces above where you live, heat & cool.

Edited by Stoney

For now I have removed as much snow as I can from the ground and flipped the heating cables back up into sort of place  urned them on.....just frustrating that it still for abit

I was worried with removing the snow it might cause more to melt quicker thus building the damn faster

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Looks like in the old house the "attic" space is a living space...common in older homes, that also create another set of issues when it comes to circulation in the spaces above where you live, heat & cool.

It was one of those war time houses with 2 bedrooms upstairs. The attic space was in 2 side hatches as you went upstairs. I re-insulated that area only as the rest was too tough to get at. It helped, but after my incident, I cleaned the roof off with a snow rake practically after every big snow fall. No snow to melt, no ice dams. 

34 minutes ago, Paramuir said:

For now I have removed as much snow as I can from the ground and flipped the heating cables back up into sort of place  urned them on.....just frustrating that it still for abit

I was worried with removing the snow it might cause more to melt quicker thus building the damn faster

With nothing to melt you will have nothing to form ice dams with. 

Edited by irv

57 minutes ago, Paramuir said:

There is lots of snow above where I can reach with my snow shovel from the ground that's all   so all the snow above it will melt down to the gutter right and freeze

It is difficult to get the whole roof of any house but if you can expose the bottom 3-6 foot section or go as high as your roof rake allows it is much better than just leaving the insulating snow blanket on top of your ice dam. 

This way, at least the sun is able to heat/warm the roof/eaves and evaporate or help melt the ice dam. I have never once cleaned my whole roof, just what I mentioned and it definitely helped reduce the size of my ice dam. Any water than runs down from the snow above gets heated by the roof and helps melt the dam. 

It has worked for me anyways. 

When we were house shopping the house we bought had a good 3-4 feet of snow on the roof. To us that was a good sign of decent insulation and the roof wasn't going to cave in. Sofar so good and have never seen an icicle. It had no gutters and was a little worried about installing them with the high pitch and snow sliding down and taking them out. I was going to get a snow rake originally but it's turned out ok

49 minutes ago, smokin george said:

When we were house shopping the house we bought had a good 3-4 feet of snow on the roof. To us that was a good sign of decent insulation and the roof wasn't going to cave in. Sofar so good and have never seen an icicle. It had no gutters and was a little worried about installing them with the high pitch and snow sliding down and taking them out. I was going to get a snow rake originally but it's turned out ok

The only problem with having no eaves/downspouts is if the water/run off is close to the house. Obviously not a problem for those with no basements but it can lead to flooding for those that do.

I have heard many up north take their eaves/downspouts off in the fall/winter for reason you mention, George, but I assume they are put back on early in the spring? 

My ice dam is shrinking pretty good this morning! It's +3 here already! :cry:

9 minutes ago, irv said:

The only problem with having no eaves/downspouts is if the water/run off is close to the house. Obviously not a problem for those with no basements but it can lead to flooding for those that do.

I have heard many up north take their eaves/downspouts off in the fall/winter for reason you mention, George, but I assume they are put back on early in the spring? 

My ice dam is shrinking pretty good this morning! It's +3 here already! :cry:

I put the plastic hose extensions on the downspouts that take the water away from the side of the house

Personally, I am not a fan of gutters in cold climates or really anywhere else for that matter.  If they aren't filling up and clogging with leaves and debris they are getting loaded with ice and snow and causing incorrect or blocked flow destroying fascia and sub-fascia.  Yes, your are supposed to "maintain them", I know...but why would anyone want to do that?  Proper drainage can be attained in most cases by french drain installation in the ground by the house or bringing in fill to get a proper slope away from the house.  And can be done much cheaper usually.

ANYWHO...Hey "Paramuir' .I wanted to comment on the pic you posted yesterday of your dam.  Is that the only place it dams up consistently every year?  And what are the two "indents" in the now on the left and the right?

1 minute ago, smokin george said:

I put the plastic hose extensions on the downspouts that take the water away from the side of the house

Didn't realize you had downspouts? Thought you currently had nothing? :bc:

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Didn't realize you had downspouts? Thought you currently had nothing? :bc:

The spouts have 8ft extensions on the one side of the house under the side deck and the other side I've got those plastic ones taking it about 12ft away to the neighbours empty lot lol

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Personally, I am not a fan of gutters in cold climates or really anywhere else for that matter.  If they aren't filling up and clogging with leaves and debris they are getting loaded with ice and snow and causing incorrect or blocked flow destroying fascia and sub-fascia.  Yes, your are supposed to "maintain them", I know...but why would anyone want to do that?  Proper drainage can be attained in most cases by french drain installation in the ground by the house or bringing in fill to get a proper slope away from the house.  And can be done much cheaper usually.

ANYWHO...Hey "Paramuir' .I wanted to comment on the pic you posted yesterday of your dam.  Is that the only place it dams up consistently every year?  And what are the two "indents" in the now on the left and the right?

Those are the vents for the bahrooms and they use to be soff it vented but rood and insulation guy said to moverify them to the roof because the warm air being soffit vented was just coming back uo in the soffit causing more heat and surface mold on the roof sheeting

17 minutes ago, Paramuir said:

Those are the vents for the bahrooms and they use to be soff it vented but rood and insulation guy said to moverify them to the roof because the warm air being soffit vented was just coming back uo in the soffit causing more heat and surface mold on the roof sheeting

That's true.  Nothing should be vented to exit under the soffits.  However, those being vented like that aren't doing you any favors.  They are melting the snow which is running down the roof and freezing.  I'd extend those up with pvc this spring.  Code is around 18".

38 minutes ago, Paramuir said:

Ya those were he vents given to me st the hardware store as they have flaps to block heat exiting

Yeah....those flaps are more for keeping critters out.  The flaps to stop heat are in your bathroom fans and open when it is on.  Get rid of those things after this winter and put some proper vent pipes in that will vent that warm air above your snow line.

Certainly can't hurt at this point to try venting it higher however if you zoom in in the pic whish may not work due to image quality   most of thebice load isn't below either vent.  More in the center and thats where the snow use to melt off my room first so that's why I have put the batt insulation in there

On 12/23/2016 at 1:20 PM, irv said:

It was one of those war time houses with 2 bedrooms upstairs. The attic space was in 2 side hatches as you went upstairs. I re-insulated that area only as the rest was too tough to get at. It helped, but after my incident, I cleaned the roof off with a snow rake practically after every big snow fall. No snow to melt, no ice dams. 

With nothing to melt you will have nothing to form ice dams with. 

Its called the cottage 'pigeon coupe' model as my wife likes to call it,:lol:its how our's currently looks like.  Can you really get any snow buildup with that roof?  The one nice thing about it.

32 minutes ago, Sporty Girl said:

Maybe just call a professional. That's what a woman would do. Just sayin..

Merry Christmas

It just goes against the laws of nature to pay someone to figure out and do something you can do yourself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 02sled said:

It just goes against the laws of nature to pay someone to figure out and do something you can do yourself.

Plus, our man card depends on it.  HOWEVER, it's clear some people shouldn't be allowed to even own BBQ tools.  :wall:

There's some really fucked up houses that have been "fixed" be the local handyman and/or owner.  OFDA!  :nuts:

• Like 1

On 12/19/2016 at 8:39 AM, Paramuir said:

So been working on adding some insulation to my attic to help with some ice damming.   Found that I have fiberglass tub surrounds one in each bathroom.

Above the surround in the attic there was no drywall or cement board or anything.  Just some vapor barrier that wasn't even sealed.  I could reach through and touch the fiberglass shower she'll. 

This seems very strange to me.  I added vapor barrier and made sure it was sealed with tuck tape and added more Batts above it.

How should this have been installed...

Lemme tell ya somethin, Pal , that shit makes ya itch .  Ya gotta wear the long clothes , the resperators , all that shit , You have all that , all that safety shit ? Cause you'll need it