Can't believe I did this ....

You know, it's kinda funny.  Many of us have been saying and listening (reading) the same shit for years.  "Snowmobiling is over!!!" But, it always finds a way.  Manus are sure betting on it with these high end sleds for sure.  It's just kinda sad when we get a slow start on an already short season.  But, all it takes is a nice storm in Jan and PRESTO!  People are all-in again.  I think most of us just hate the slow starts because we've been waiting for 6-8 months for the season to start....only to have to wait a few more weeks.  

As the saying goes...it is what it is.

It’s like the years that you can ride a few times before Christmas and then have to park shit for 2 or more weeks mid January, this season is always in flux. 

I have been tempted to sell both of my sleds, by a new crossover sled, spend 4-5 days in Ontario trail riding and then fly out west for 3-4 days of mountain riding. Any riding that I can get in between would just be a bonus. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

1 minute ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It’s like the years that you can ride a few times before Christmas and then have to park shit for 2 or more weeks mid January, this season is always in flux. 

I have been tempted to sell both of my sleds, by a new crossover sled, spend 4-5 days in Ontario trail riding and then fly out west for 3-4 days of mountain riding. Any riding that I can get in between would just be a bonus. 

Hell, even in N. MN, sufficient snow for riding before Christmas is bonus riding. Last year, like every good start year spoils everyone.  Fact is, there are plenty of seasons good snow isn't around until mid Jan so, we've still got time to make this hot mess of a start up.

Haven't thought about selling the sled's but haven't any thoughts on updating them. Again this morning we talked about another side by side and leaving the sled's just like they are for another year. 

It's not the first time they have sat all year.

7 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

Haven't thought about selling the sled's but haven't any thoughts on updating them. Again this morning we talked about another side by side and leaving the sled's just like they are for another year. 

It's not the first time they have sat all year.

We're only going to get a couple rides in this year ( too much to do) and not really worrying about it. 

20 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Highly doubt I will ever shed the sledding addiction but this could be the last sled that I buy for another decade.  That will hardly help out the industry.

Yeah agreed.  I snowchecked one this year specifically for the 4-year warranty with the miles I put on.  And I already have a backup to the backup.  Hopefully all I need is warranty work and parts for the next 4+ years.....

24 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Highly doubt I will ever shed the sledding addiction but this could be the last sled that I buy for another decade.  That will hardly help out the industry.

I wonder how long I'll be addicted myself.  I feel like once I can't ride like I want...it's over but, there is just so much fun in all of it so, I may make a shift on sled/style.  Just not sure yet.  One thing is for sure, I'm not paying $15k for a god damn sled again...EVER.  For me, that is simple financial idiocy I just can't wrap my head around because I'm not keeping it more than two season anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I wonder how long I'll be addicted myself.  I feel like once I can't ride like I want...it's over but, there is just so much fun in all of it so, I may make a shift on sled/style.  Just not sure yet.  One thing is for sure, I'm not paying $15k for a god damn sled again...EVER.  For me, that is simple financial idiocy I just can't wrap my head around because I'm not keeping it more than two season anyway.

I'm finding it tough to get motivated this season with what's going on with the lockdowns, shit weather and so forth. We like riding to a destination,have a hot lunch and ride back and now there's nowhere to do that. 

Just now, smokin george said:

I'm finding it tough to get motivated this season with what's going on with the lockdowns, shit weather and so forth. We like riding to a destination,have a hot lunch and ride back and now there's nowhere to do that. 

It's just sad.  So many of these little joints depend so much on winter sled traffic.  It's not enough they have to hope for snow now, they have to hope their own government doesn't screw them.  These eateries and bars are on such tight budgets already.  It's no wonder so many will never open the doors again.  Just unreal.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Well first trip to Canada was in the winter of 1972. We had a 69 panther and Dad ended up with a lease on a service station and it included the inventory of AMF snowmobiles. He kept a 340 with a JLO and my uncle got 4 of the others. I have ridden on and off since.
The wife started with her father in about 68/69 on Yamaha. Her father was supper into it and always took his vacation during her winter break from school and they road. For us its lifestyle not just getting in and get on to the next big thing.

Our OHRV is more useful than the sled and as they gain trails we can go 9 months a year and could go north today and ride if we wanted to. We don't dirtbike at the same pace but with sleds she can hang no problem. That SxS was her idea to go off road together again and I hate to admit she was right. I'm with you on 15k as 12 weeks of winter is really 12 days if you go one time each week as the days of riding out of my back yard are over.

To much in my blood.  Currently own 6 sleds.  2 are our trail sleds and the other 3 are limited builds and the 4th has a 700 SLP RZ motor. About 4 years ago had 13 sleds but lost my free storage so just kept the sleds I wanted to and sold the rest.  Have a good stock of NOS parts and other miscellaneous parts for the late 80's early 90's Indy.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Totally agree that the cost of new sleds is tough to justify based on the short seasons alone but if not for the improvements we currently have in the sport I wouldn't be putting on the miles I do in a day.  If I was forced to ride the old iron it's likely I would be out of it as the body would not be able to keep up.  Guess that's a large part of how I justify the crazy high cost.  I know a lot of riders still shun the four strokes but again, part of my justification is that at least the motor will last as long as I want to keep it.  Replacing wear items, rebuilding shocks, all that stuff is cheap and easy in comparison to the constant treadmill and cost of buying new every couple of years.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:57 AM, Mag6240 said:

Funny, I haven’t even gotten a shipped date on my snow check yet!

Poo employees are still waiting on there demo sleds and most are not real thrilled seeing as it is part of there compensation package . They are also thinking they may make them hold them 2 yrs with the late delivery.  From what I gather one of the bigger clogs in the pipe line is walker evens ? 

11 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Poo employees are still waiting on there demo sleds and most are not real thrilled seeing as it is part of there compensation package . They are also thinking they may make them hold them 2 yrs with the late delivery.  From what I gather one of the bigger clogs in the pipe line is walker evens ? 

I actually picked mine up on Tuesday - out of the blue call, no email - but I am riding it now!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 10:02 PM, Bontz said:

Congrats you donkeys!!

Fucking SWEET!! Someone has to take one for the team. This year it's you. Good man, I'd buy you a beer but it may have to wait until April..

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, Bontz said:

Sold my brand new, zero mile, HYPERSLED (Zam's favorite description of the Eight Fiddy)!!!  I've been fighting some arm issues the past few weeks, and there just hasn't been any progress or relief in sight.  Combine that with a less than stellar snow amount and a hot market for selling sleds = GONE!!  I figured I would list it for a price that I knew would cover my cost (and maybe a little more) and if it sold I'd be fine ... and if not, I'd be fine too.  Listed it this morning and it was gone by this afternoon!!  Funny thing is, the guy that bought it is the same guy that bought my buddy's sled last year when he was in the same situation (back issues from the Fall never got better and he decided to sell his snow checked XCR).  One of those small world things, I guess.

So ... why am I posting this?  To congratulate all you homos on what's going to turn into a banner year for snow & riding!!  I just know things are going to turn around now and I'll be pissed hearing about how good it is 😂  Congrats you donkeys!!

God hates a quitter :joint:

• Haha 1

You don't need to buy a new sled all the time to have fun snowmobiling.  I know I know, you won't fit in with the cool kids on the internets who think you need the latest and greatest and 9% more fun factor..  but you can have even more fun with older iron especially if some of your buddies subscribe to it.  And you're not so financially invested too which makes things more care free and fun.  And contrary to marketing and internet d bags, the old sleds can hang with anything new and usually faster as long as you're not banging off moguls.  Which with how good the grooming has gotten is a thing of the past anyway.  I can say I'll have more fun and would rather ride my 1994 snowmobile on most trails than any of the new offerings I don't know if guys just take themselves too seriously or why people think they NEED to spend boat loads on new equipment.  Having cheaper stuff that puts a smile on your face is winning to me.  If some dbags look down on that, I don't care about their opinion anyway because I am the one having more fun and they are just mad about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

You don't need to buy a new sled all the time to have fun snowmobiling.  I know I know, you won't fit in with the cool kids on the internets who think you need the latest and greatest and 9% more fun factor..  but you can have even more fun with older iron especially if some of your buddies subscribe to it.  And you're not so financially invested too which makes things more care free and fun.  And contrary to marketing and internet d bags, the old sleds can hang with anything new and usually faster as long as you're not banging off moguls.  Which with how good the grooming has gotten is a thing of the past anyway.  I can say I'll have more fun and would rather ride my 1994 snowmobile on most trails than any of the new offerings I don't know if guys just take themselves too seriously or why people think they NEED to spend boat loads on new equipment.  Having cheaper stuff that puts a smile on your face is winning to me.  If some dbags look down on that, I don't care about their opinion anyway because I am the one having more fun and they are just mad about it.

The groomed trail that I crossed at 3 pm yesterday was not what I would be riding much of even with the latest and greatest in trail sleds. It was shelled the fuck out. We passed a family of four riding into town, in the trucks, down the groomed trail on the side of the road getting the shit kicked out of them at 25 mph. There was plenty of snow. The trail was freshly groomed when we drove past it, driving out of town that morning. If I lived somewhere where I could trail ride during the week then yes, I probably could get a bunch of time in riding my older sleds. I don’t though. I live 150 miles south of any rideable trail. I do take time off work to ride but most of my riding comes during the weekend and trail riding in Michigan on the weekends is a complete shit show, IMO. 

32 minutes ago, Doomxz600 said:

its a 12 week sport so exactly how broke does someone need to go

It’s all relative. If you can afford to, and want to, I see nothing wrong with buying new every year or two. I did for years. Nowadays, my priories are in it. Down the road a ways, they may be once again, who knows. For now though, I’ll keep riding my old junk. The 3 or 4 times a year that I can, anyway. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

4 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

The groomed trail that I crossed at 3 pm yesterday was not what I would be riding much of even with the latest and greatest in trail sleds. It was shelled the fuck out. We passed a family of four riding into town, in the trucks, down the groomed trail on the side of the road getting the shit kicked out of them at 25 mph. There was plenty of snow. The trail was freshly groomed when we drove past it, driving out of town that morning. If I lived somewhere where I could trail ride during the week then yes, I probably could get a bunch of time in riding my older sleds. I don’t though. I live 150 miles south of any rideable trail. I do take time off work to ride but most of my riding comes during the weekend and trail riding in Michigan on the weekends is a complete shit show, IMO. 

It’s all relative. If you can afford to, and want to, I see nothing wrong with buying new every year or two. I did for years. Nowadays, my priories are in it. Down the road a ways, they may be once again, who knows. For now though, I’ll keep riding my old junk. The 3 or 4 times a year that I can, anyway. 

Live somewhere you can ride or spend more time there, you'll find the spots.  All those whooped out spots are just from tourists.  The old phrase, getting off the beaten path.

56 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Live somewhere you can ride or spend more time there, you'll find the spots.  All those whooped out spots are just from tourists.  The old phrase, getting off the beaten path.

I hope to retire up at my in-laws current place up north someday. I've been learning a lot of the horse trails and two tracks in that area but a lot of those get ridden by people trying to get off the groomed trails like me. Is what it is. There's just more sleds per mile on Michigan trails I think than anywhere else in the Midwest. And while we could always use more miles of groomed trails, we keep losing them from loud exhausts and people riding where they don't belong. 

• Like 1