Car headlights

It is getting to the point of changing out the headlight bulbs in my car. It is a '97 WRX with halogen bulbs that could very well be original. I bought the car 5.5 years ago with only 89,000kms and I have yet to change them. The lights are dim on low beam but still ok on high but definitely showing their age.

I was looking at maybe some led bulbs but they are twice the price of something like a silverstar.

Also my housings are glass and thanks to all the gravel we dump on the roads here in Alberta, my headlight lens have a couple of holes as well as my glass fog lights. I thought about replacing the housings but it would cost around $350-$400 to put used ones in. So far the holes haven't cause any bulbs to burn out yet. 

So I guess my questions are does anyone have any experience with led bulbs in halogen housings, are they worth the extra money, would the holes in my housings spell the end for led bulbs in short order, and if led or halogen-any recommendations?

Old photo of when I picked it up and it was still in really nice shape, not so much anymore lol.

DSC_0102_2.JPG

Edited by Tomas.

1 minute ago, Tomas. said:

It is getting to the point of changing out the headlight bulbs in my car. It is a '97 WRX with halogen bulbs that could very well be original. I bought the car 5.5 years ago with only 89,000kms. The lights are dim on low beam but still ok on high but definitely showing their age.

I was looking at maybe some led bulbs but they are twice the price of something like a silverstar.

Also my housings are glass and thanks to all the gravel we dump on the roads here in Alberta, my headlight lens have a couple of holes as well as my glass fog lights. I thought about replacing the housings but it would cost around $350-$400 to put used ones in. So far the holes haven't cause any bulbs to burn out yet. 

So I guess my questions are does anyone have any experience with led bulbs in halogen housings, are they worth the extra money, would the holes in my housings spell the end for led bulbs in short order, and if led or halogen-any recommendations?

Old photo of when I picked it up and it was still in really nice shape, not so much anymore lol.

Are your lenses hazed over due to sun and weather damage? I don't have any experience with what you are asking, but, IIRC, those lights you mentioned don't have a long service life so I doubt you will be gaining much to be honest? 

2 minutes ago, irv said:

Are your lenses hazed over due to sun and weather damage? I don't have any experience with what you are asking, but, IIRC, those lights you mentioned don't have a long service life so I doubt you will be gaining much to be honest? 

Zero haze as they are glass not plastic.

• Like 1

JMO I'd replace the headlight housings, you're getting dust, dirt water and who knows what else in there that will dim the lights and dull the reflective material inside the housing, start there then maybe try different bulbs

4 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Zero haze as they are glass not plastic.

Glass will also haze/pit, especially living/driving where you do. It is a lot harder to see than plastic but they are not free from becoming worse over time. Have a good look. 

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

It is a Subaru, shouldn't you be asking what vape pen is best vape pen?

Lmao. I try to distance myself from "those" Subaru owners lol

• Platinum Contributing Member

I won't be any help on the LED's but I have used the Silverstars. They are shit. I bought 3 of them in 6 months for my truck. None lasted more than 4 months. I bought some Zenon bulbs from Amazon and they have been in for a year and a half now with no issues.

12 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I won't be any help on the LED's but I have used the Silverstars. They are shit. I bought 3 of them in 6 months for my truck. None lasted more than 4 months. I bought some Zenon bulbs from Amazon and they have been in for a year and a half now with no issues.

i get a few years before they start dimming.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
56 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i get a few years before they start dimming.  

Not sure what the deal was then. They were in my plow truck. Maybe they couldn’t take the shock.