Axys chaincase

Superair

2018 800 SKS 146. 

I know there have been some jackshaft bearing and chaincase bearing failures on these Axys sleds. I had one on my 18 SKS. i'll try to keep it short

At 500 miles I changed the oil and checked the chain, pulled cover bolts to drain and flush but never pulled cover. Chain felt properly adjusted at that time. At 800 miles I checked chain again and it was loose, which honestly I found a little odd, So I adjusted it. 400 miles later the drive axle bearing failed in the case. Sled was under warranty so i dumped it at dealer and they fixed it for me. Rode it 500 miles and changed oil, checked chain all is good . Then rode it another 500 and it seemed to be vibrating a bit so I assumed the bearing was on its way out again. Pulled it all apart and checked all the bearings. All smooth and tight. greased left side drive axle bearing and jackshaft bearing and reassembled chaincase sans cover. I adjusted the chain then proceeded to check a few other things and noticed when I was rotating the track by hand that the chain tension changed. I have a super loose spot. I think just before the bearing failed I checked the chain and it was in the loose spot and when I tightened it up the "tight spot"  probably caused the bearing to fail prematurely. i did that with the cover on and didn't suspect any issues at that time.

So anyway, If I adjust the chain to the proper tension in one spot I can play a tune on it after I rotate it to another spot. I have no vibration in the brakes and both shafts turn smooth without binding when I had the track out. I haven't put a dial indicator on anything yet and I have a chain on order. Anyone had any issues with this or even noticed anything like this? I'm wondering if its possibly gear out of round if it isn't  a shaft that's tweaked. I wasn't surprised to see a slight tight spot in the chain its not that uncommon, but this is pretty extreme. If i adjust to proper tension in tight spot I have a ton of slack in chain (like it almost hits the case it has so much deflection) as I move it around the clock to other spots. Im wondering if some of the other guys noting loose chains from dealer may have the same issue. 

Edited by Superair

• Superair changed the title to Axys chaincase