Anyone ever have a “cursed” sled?

I snow checked a 21 Zr8000rr this year. 21 miles into the first ride I hit a washout at a weird angle and bent the spindle. Today I went riding and 80 miles into a 100 mile day came out from lunch went down the trail a couple miles until it smoothed out and we could speed up and sit down. I went to put my foot in the footwell and it was tight. Next time we stopped I checked it out, running board bent, bar from the “pyramid” to the running board bent, Inner footwell piece tweaked and belly pan cracked underneath. Someone must have whacked it in the parking lot and took off. (Second time this has happened to me but last time, about 10 years ago, the guy did it right in front of me to my old Mxz 670ho took my address ordered me a ski and trailing arm, both were just gouged up, and had it shipped to my house). So I’m thinking the sled has some sort of bad juju on it, I’ll be taking it to the dealer to have them and the insurance sort it out. I may have him just sell it after that. Has anyone had this sort of thing happen right out the gate or felt a sled was somehow “cursed” did you sell it? Did it get better? Idk if I’m overreacting or being to superstitious and I do love the sled and would love to keep riding it it just seems like something is off about it and it’s just not meant to be, also kind of don’t want to keep it around and find what the 3rd issue is going to be.

2007 F8, buddy and I spring checked 2 from the same dealer on the same day. Put 1200 perfect miles on mine and then the last trip of the season it wouldn't start in the trailer when unloading? Finally got it running rode all day no problems. Next day woke up to a foot of fresh snow. Started right up and about 2 miles down trail quits running played with plug connections and got it running. Did this 2 more times during the ride and then the third time I couldn't get it running? Hooked up tow strap and figured I'd give it one more pull and it started! Got it to dealer they replaced ECU but it was season over. Next season basically same, first trip perfect the rest of the season it let me down ever trip! Traded in on a 2009 F8 and it was perfect sold it with 8000 miles on it! Buddies 2007 sled we bought together, he put 10,000 miles on it sold it to another friend that put 2000 more miles on it and then sold.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Not really a sled but a sled motor. Every single triple ski doo I’ve ever owned has blown up on me. One I bought and the motor blew idling in my yard the day I got it...rebuilt that one ran mint after. Another one I blew up on the lake. Just this weekend the crank bearings went one the Mach 1 I bought to get back on a sled this winter after taking a year off. Should have learned my lesson from the last 2. I must have some triple engine curse or something they seem to all blow up on me. I posted it yesterday and sold the thing in less than 4hrs so that was a plus but now I’m sledless again.

• Like 2

2000 Cat ZL 580esr. Absolute pos everything that could break broke. The only sled I have ever owned that had to be towed home. Opened the cowling so many times that even the fucking hinge broke. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

My 2016 ZR6000 RXC was mostly reliable but SLOW!  Ate a primary for lunch one weekend.  Never could get that one to break 90.

It also started up in reverse for a weekend too.  That was super awesome.  

On the last part my only question is a very puzzled “how?!” Lol

2007 Ski-Doo MACH Z 1000

Fucking POS 

Trouble, almost from day one. 

Fuel pump went at about 500 miles. 

Sat at the motherfukkin dealer for 41 days, outside in the rain, snow, ice, sun, where any kid could have scratched, damaged or thrown something into the gas tank. MOTHERFUKKIN DEALER!!!

Finally got it back, eventually the pump went ( FACTORY JUNK L/P FUEL PUMPS ) .

Put a cube pump in the right footwell, the fukker ran like a ROLEX ON STEROIDS!

Ran beautifully for a couple more seasons. Fast as a bastid!!

Eventually seized-up on a lake doing about 40 MPH. 

Crank bushing let go, did some damage.

Tried to get a CLASS-ACTION SUIT going against BRP, but no luck. 

Sold the motherfukker on Jan. 1, 2021....pulled out of my driveway at 2:45 PM. 

Caused me 13 years of fighting on sled-sites!!

I started on DOO-TALK, and those asswipes went nuts on me!! LMAO!! I didn't realize what brand-loyal doosh-bags they were!! 

Then I went to HCS, and they also pushed my buttons, so I responded and got banned!!

Then ended up here, where I have been fighting with a fukking cunt for 13 years. Uses dupes, proxies, etc. 

Between my Outlander 800 and Mach Z 1000, I lost about $17, 000.00.

Wouldn't take a BRP product if you gave it to me. They used to be good. Now I believe they outsource components, and they are junk.

Good styling and fit and finish, BUT NFG!!! 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Polaris 550 said:

2007 Ski-Doo MACH Z 1000

Fucking POS 

Sat at the motherfukkin dealer for 41 days, outside in the rain, snow, ice, sun, where any kid could have scratched, damaged or thrown something into the gas tank. MOTHERFUKKIN DEALER!!!

I started on DOO-TALK, and those asswipes went nuts on me!! LMAO!! I didn't realize what brand-loyal doosh-bags they were!! 

Then I went to HCS, and they also pushed my buttons, so I responded and got banned!!

Then ended up here, where I have been fighting with a fukking cunt for 13 years. Uses dupes, proxies, etc. 

Wouldn't take a BRP product if you gave it to me. They used to be good. Now I believe they outsource components, and they are junk.

Crank bearings are what always seems to go on the ski doo triples I’ve owned must be a big power thing or horrible design. Ain’t cheap to fix either I rebuilt one 809 and had over 4K in the thing. The z 1000s are so cheap to buy right now but so many know issues it’s a hard pass but tempting .

1998 zr 500 I bought from my brother in high school.

He had it for a couple years, didn't give him trouble aside from a crack in a cylinder that leaked coolant on the outside. He went off to university so I bought it and discovered the bulkhead had so many broken welds there were only two welds remaining that held the front suspension on. Rivets on the belly pans is what kept it together.

I stripped it down, replaced the bulkhead. Replaced the cylinder. Decided to upgrade the sled when I put it back together. Needed a new clutch, I installed zr3 front suspension, added new running boards, did post forward mod.

Worked on it all summer when I was 16, got it running for winter. Took it for a ride, and the damn thing started burn coolant 5 miles from home. Towed it home, put new o rings on the head. Same issue. That's how I found hcs, discovered the head was warped. Put a new head on, was running out if money though. Ran good, then it would intermittently die on me and leave me stranded. Fucking stator was going! I couldn't afford to replace it, so I parted the sled out as I needed money for college.

I've had reliability worries ever since. I also have a very kean sense of smell for antifreeze now.

Edited by Bushmonkey

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Crank bearings are what always seems to go on the ski doo triples I’ve owned must be a big power thing or horrible design. Ain’t cheap to fix either I rebuilt one 809 and had over 4K in the thing. The z 1000s are so cheap to buy right now but so many know issues it’s a hard pass but tempting .

The guy that bought it seemed to know that it was an OILING problem in the factory design.  He said he has re-built a number of sled/bike engines.  

If he can pop a new/re-built crank in there, he's gonna' have one of the fastest sleds out there. 

Just the accessories I gave him with the sled, were worth HUNDREDS.

I wanted it out of my face. The kharma was bad. BIG loss financially.

27 minutes ago, Bushmonkey said:

1998 zr 500 I bought from my brother in high school.

He had it for a couple years, didn't give him trouble aside from a crack in a cylinder that leaked coolant on the outside. He went off to university so I bought it and discovered the bulkhead had so many broken welds there were only two welds remaining that held the front suspension on. Rivets on the belly pans is what kept it together.

I stripped it down, replaced the bulkhead. Replaced the cylinder. Decided to upgrade the sled when I put it back together. Needed a new clutch, I installed zr3 front suspension, added new running boards, did post forward mod.

Worked on it all summer when I was 16, got it running for winter. Took it for a ride, and the damn thing started burn coolant 5 miles from home. Towed it home, put new o rings on the head. Same issue. That's how I found hcs, discovered the head was warped. Put a new head on, was running out if money though. Ran good, then it would intermittently die on me and leave me stranded. Fucking stator was going! I couldn't afford to replace it, so I parted the sled out as I needed money for college.

I've had reliability worries ever since. I also have a very kean sense of smell for antifreeze now.

I bought a new boat up at Winnepesaukee many years ago. Poor prep from the dealer from day one. That also turned-out to be a LEMONM for me. When It ran good, it was great up there. However, that boat was problematic/unlucky/pita for YEARS!!!  

Some times we just get things that are NO EFFIN GOOD!! 

Happy day when I sold that CURSED BITCH!!

Lost thousands on that boat, just like my sled and quad. 

If I ever think I got another lemon, I'm gonna' sell it ASAP.

Once a lemon, always a lemon!!!   

36 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

The guy that bought it seemed to know that it was an OILING problem in the factory design.  He said he has re-built a number of sled/bike engines.  

If he can pop a new/re-built crank in there, he's gonna' have one of the fastest sleds out there. 

Just the accessories I gave him with the sled, were worth HUNDREDS.

I wanted it out of my face. The kharma was bad. BIG loss financially.

Rode with a guy on new year's day that had a mach1000.  it was gorgeous.  he only pulls it out every once and a while to ride.  this thing was beyond mint.  almost like he pulled it off the showroom floor.  was a dog in the trails as he was always last to catch up, but on the lakes you couldn't touch it.  

36 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LexusLover said:

Rode with a guy on new year's day that had a mach1000.  it was gorgeous.  he only pulls it out every once and a while to ride.  this thing was beyond mint.  almost like he pulled it off the showroom floor.  was a dog in the trails as he was always last to catch up, but on the lakes you couldn't touch it.  

The first year I owned it, I got scared doing 85.

A year or so later, I did about 100.

Another year or so later, I pinned it on Lake Massabesic, I looked down for a second, and it was at 115, then it did something, 'cause it took off at 115. Needless to say, I shut it down. Scared shitless then, scared shitless now thinking about it.

I read later that the MACH Z clutching " SHIFTS OUT " to overdrive at that speed. I don't know if that's what happened to mine, but I shudder thinking about it. 

When running right, they are dangerously fast. 

8 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

2007 Ski-Doo MACH Z 1000

Fucking POS 

LMMFAO !! :owned: 

Edited by 800 Dragon

12 hours ago, Polaris 550 said:

2007 Ski-Doo MACH Z 1000

Fucking POS 

LMFAO....yep!

My 1997 F3 spat out a crank bearing at 2000 miles. Thankfully my buddies kid was riding it, slowly and she just coasted to a stop. Easy fix. Fast as fuck for a 1997 600.

Fast forward..bought a 2006 Mach Z. I did every upgrade the internet had to offer and she still blew apart at 8000 KMS.

Found another one last summer...it's just such a rush when the electric power valves open up and it rockets away...suspension not so much to love but she does corner like an F1 car.

It too will blow up, in a not repairable mess.

Still have it..but I don't kid myself it's reliable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voodoo said:

LMFAO....yep!

My 1997 F3 spat out a crank bearing at 2000 miles. Thankfully my buddies kid was riding it, slowly and she just coasted to a stop. Easy fix. Fast as fuck for a 1997 600.

Fast forward..bought a 2006 Mach Z. I did every upgrade the internet had to offer and she still blew apart at 8000 KMS.

Found another one last summer...it's just such a rush when the electric power valves open up and it rockets away...suspension not so much to love but she does corner like an F1 car.

It too will blow up, in a not repairable mess.

Still have it..but I don't kid myself it's reliable.

I had somebody lined-up to remove and re-build the engine with me, in my garage. 

I sold it instead. Not worth the hassle.  

Having owned a 2009 Dragon, and the notorious 800CFI, you'd think that sled would be the one .... but it really wasn't.  I never had serious issues with that sled over the 2 years and 3500 miles I put on it, minus the DET codes I could get it to throw on demand (before I added a fuel controller).  No - the sled that I really struggled with and was absolutely pissed every time I rode it the first year was my 2003 F7.  That damn thing had issue after issue ... of course all of them ended up being service bulletins.  I went into the second season telling myself, if I can't get through my first trip without issues this thing is gone.  Well, fortunately it never skipped a beat - other than it was very susceptible to getting hot way too easy.  It went from being one of the most frustrating sleds to one of my all time favorites.  A close second was my 2012 Pro-R Switchback that I never should have tore down.  I had 3000'ish miles on it and decided to buy into the hype and bought the BMP durability kit ... and regretted it from the moment I started it the first time after having it installed.  That sled was "tolerated" for the remainder of the season and traded on my '15 AXYS (fortunately the guy who bought that 2012 totaled it out early on and was able to get a nice insurance claim on it).

I will say this much @Palu49 - if you ever were going to try selling a sled, now's the time.  I took a gamble by listing my new sled the other day, for a price that I felt was maybe a tad high but competitive (especially for it being a snow check sled with zero miles).  It sold that day.  The bigger question would be, do you have another sled in mind you could buy right away - or are you basically giving up and waiting for next year.  If there's a replacement sled available, I'd list that thing ASAP.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:29 PM, Polaris 550 said:

I had somebody lined-up to remove and re-build the engine with me, in my garage. 

I sold it instead. Not worth the hassle.  

Good choice. Re-building a turd, still makes it another turd. A couple of buddies had them. All I can say is, they were heavy pigs to tow out of the fukking bush, on several occasions. In hindsight, they should have trying the jewish lightning trick on them. That was the cure-all. Easy to carry out what was left in a 5 gallon pail. LOL

11 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

Good choice. Re-building a turd, still makes it another turd. A couple of buddies had them. All I can say is, they were heavy pigs to tow out of the fukking bush, on several occasions. In hindsight, they should have trying the jewish lightning trick on them. That was the cure-all. Easy to carry out what was left in a 5 gallon pail. LOL

:goodpost:   Txs  :thumbsup: