Ice Tracks

Since there are several variations of Ice Tracks out there - and since some tracks are proprietary to Doo/Poo I thought I'd start a thread and share my experience with one of them.

Decided to give the 9201H Camso Ice Attak XT 128/15/1.22" 2.52P a try.   single ply, fully clipped 42lbs and 272 sharp little pins. 

Multiple track lengths available.  https://camso.co/en/powersports/snowmobile/products/ice-attak-xt/

Lugs are stout, track looks better far in person than it does on the Camso site.  Sled is also getting DuPont Vespel slides and ice scratchers.  

Will report back and directly compare the good/bad to a studded Cobra 1.3 on a nearly identical sled once I get this other machine back up and running.  Both sleds are ridden 99.9% on groomed trails so the basis of my expectations will be based upon that.  Sort've excited, haven't bought a brand new track in ages. 

DSCN0138.JPG

DSCN0140.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0154.JPG

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

I have a similar one on my 16 doo, I think it’s the ice ripper. I really like it. Handles the icy corners and roads I ride on sometimes just fine. I read somewhere that 9 regular studs weigh as much as 150 of those little points. 😮

I have the 1.60 ice scratchers Cobra track... I was hoping and ice scratcher track was going to provide me the traction on ice and in corners that instilled confidence to go fast and stop fast... It is better than no metal, but it doesn’t hold a lamp to a studded track. So as you know mine is Studded as well 1.75 Woodies.

Under heavy acceleration or side drifting it will not hold on hard pack icy conditions.

Under hard pack dense snow it holds better.

But once your a Stud, it’s hard to go back out to pasture.

Edited by Icecube
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Icecube said:

I have the 1.60 ice scratchers Cobra track... I was hoping and ice scratcher track was going to provide me the traction on ice and in corners that instilled confidence to go fast and stop fast... It is better than no metal, but it doesn’t hold a lamp to a studded track. So as you know mine is Studded as well 1.75 Woodies.

Under heavy acceleration or side drifting it will not hold on hard pack icy conditions.

Under hard pack dense snow it holds better.

But once your a Stud, it’s hard to go back out to pasture.

it's good to get you going on glare ice which is about the only time i ever regretted running unsutdded,  i had a couple of times i literally could not get my 1.75x137's rolling on ice which sucks.    

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

So far, so good.  Obviously not as good as the Cobra in loose snow but it has good side bite while cornering at speed, and on hard pack or groomed snow it works pretty darn well.  On icy corners it's not as good as studs but the little pins do their job more than adequately.  Being accustomed to studs, road crossings are nearly silent, which is weird.  :lmao:

If I were ordering a new sled next week, I'd have a hard time choosing which track to get... unless it's a Cat or Yamaha because they don't even make them an option which is dumb.   

I've been looking at the 9028h for my Jag Z which is the ice attack, which is a 1.0 hacksaw with the built in studs.  It was not available for a long time but this last week everyone has one but the jag is up north so I don't know if it's happening this year.  Should be a nice upgrade.  Lighter than current studded track, more lug.

27 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I've been looking at the 9028h for my Jag Z which is the ice attack, which is a 1.0 hacksaw with the built in studs.  It was not available for a long time but this last week everyone has one but the jag is up north so I don't know if it's happening this year.  Should be a nice upgrade.  Lighter than current studded track, more lug.

I ordered from CB, great price (at the time) and quick service.  https://www.cbperformanceparts.com/camoplast-tracks/121-tracks/ice-attak-121-9028h/

8 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Do they tear up concrete and trailer like studs do?

not as bad as fresh carbides, but I think it totally depends how aggressive you are with the flipper upon engagement.

couple years ago we got stuck behind a group of old guys some studded, some not up by Presque Isle, you'd swear none of them could engage the clutch without absolutely pinning it, all had mirrors and could see we wanted to get by.   the last time I got pelted with pea gravel by 'Mr. Last in Line' was enough for me and we started picking them off one at a time in the passing lane.  morons...

Ha, my IQR was a concrete ripping machine regardless of how careful you were with the flipper.  Clutch engagement was really high though which makes that tough.  Swore off studs after that and other than a couple rides per year I don't regret it, but would love an intermediate option.

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Ha, my IQR was a concrete ripping machine regardless of how careful you were with the flipper.  Clutch engagement was really high though which makes that tough.  Swore off studs after that and other than a couple rides per year I don't regret it, but would love an intermediate option.

Idk how well the ones above 1.25 work honestly.  The one I decided to try has a very high pin count.  The ice storm 1.5 looks interesting but I don't need a lug that deep.  The 1.6 Ice Cobra, that's a joke.

• 1 month later...

Some follow up...

Overall my experience with the Ice Attak XT this winter was positive, worked well on groomed trails and handled icy corners in an acceptable manner on the 720 powered 500.  The only place (for me) where I could see a bigger advantage to running a traditional studded Rip2 would be if I was frequently riding on lakes, or encountering ice... or racing.  With the Rip2 and studs comes a rotational weight mass gain which is a big part of the reason I decided to try an 'ice track'.    After 6000 miles on my stock 500 with a studded 128" Cobra and some examination now that the season is over it looks like it's time to replace the Fast-Trac studs as some are bent and most are pretty well worn.  Stud prices (along with everything else in this world) seemed to have gone up significantly since the last time I checked.  So for amusement I thought I'd compare the cost of a couple popular tracks (in 129") with 90 studs (basic trail) studs from Fast-Trac and using Tracks USA as the track supplier versus an Ice Attak XT and Ice Storm 150 from the same supplier.  Using 129 as an example because there's less bars than a 128 and also because you can't get a 128" Cobra unless you buy it from Polaris at the moment... (eye roll).  

129" Rip2 1.25" $605 (39lbs) + Top Gun Stud Kit with stainless nuts $287 = $892

129" Cobra 1.3" $575 (36lbs) + Top Gun Stud Kit with stainless nuts $287 = $862

129" Ice Attak XT 1.22" (39lbs) - 240 little pins = $715

129" Storm 150 1.5" $565 (37.2lbs) + Top Gun Stud Kit $310 = $875

129" Ice Storm 150 1.5" (37.2lbs) - 135 little pins = $675

So purely from a price and rotational mass perspective the pre-studded tracks weigh less, and cost less.  Is the performance identical?  No.  Is it worth considering if you primarily ride groomed trails, imo... Yes.

Again, in 137" (for amusement and perspective) with a more aggressive 144 trail stud pattern

Cobra 1.3" $605 (39lbs) + Top Gun Stud Kit $459 = $1064

Rip2 1.25" $595 (42lbs) + Top Gun Stud Kit $459 = $1054

Ice Attak XT 1.22" $700 (42lbs) with 256 little pins = $700

Storm 150 1.5" $645 (39.6lbs (typo?) + Top Gun Stud Kit Top Gun Stud Kit  $495 = $1140

Ice Storm 150 1.5" $700 with 144 little pins = $700

That's a bit more $... ;)

Will add BRP & Polaris tracks you can't buy from a regular Camso dealer later.  Going to walk the dog now.  :) 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

38 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Hope a 136 900r xcr comes with the storm ice track next year.  Would be perfect.

they only make them in 2.86... so no 136"

for '23 you can get an Indy VR1, XC, or Adventure with a Storm 150 or an Ice Ripper XT 1.25" but no Ice Storm? :dunno: The only 'ice' track available on the Assault is the 1.6 Cobra... which I wouldn't want. 

the Ice Ripper XT in 1.25 or 1.5 in 129/137 must be sold exclusively to Polaris & BRP as they aren't listed on the Camso site... https://camso.co/en/powersports/snowmobile/products/ice-ripper-xt/?pr=PS04  nice job of capturing tracks exclusive to them.  what was interesting this year when I stopped by a local Doo dealer was seeing brand new Doo's with Rip2's and studs because they couldn't get ice tracks.  Not sure if it was the same with Lynx Rave for some which only comes with the 1.5 Ice Ripper XT in the spec sheet.  I think @favoritos and a few other Cat owners have ran the Storm and liked it.  A Rave with a Storm 150 would probably shovel some snow.  ;)

• 1 year later...

Those tracks suck compared to real studs. When I bought my studs at haydays from woody’s they didn’t have that size on hand because most people don’t know how to stud a sled 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Would be easier to get excited about it if they didn't have a drunk Canuck as the spokesperson 

it's nothing particular to get excited about but from what I've seen them produce thusfar it's the best looking one of the lot as far as the paddle and pin configuration.

6 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Those tracks suck compared to real studs. When I bought my studs at haydays from woody’s they didn’t have that size on hand because most people don’t know how to stud a sled 

for people who don't want studs and for less rotational mass they're not bad and I'd wager one can top end a sled with an ice track faster than one with traditional studs. 

you've seen, ran your fingers across and have been towed with the one I tried.  thusfar I've absolutely no complaints at all about it. 

are they 'as good' as studs?  No.  would I order a new (600) sled with one of these if given the option?  Probably.  that said they're only offered in 2.86P and have a much higher pin count and a better bar configuration than mine. 

129 Ice Arrowhead 302 pins 42.5lbs 2.86P

128 Ice Attack XT 272 pins 42lbs 2.52P

129 Ice Attack XT 240 pins 39lbs 2.86P 

so, the new Ice track from my perspective... is an improvement 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

That's ridiculous.  Angled studs, so it's just for wannabe drag racers?  Because anyone serious would be running real studs.  And trail guys should want braking if they're decent riders.  Plus that guy talks funny.

• Haha 1