Cat AWS1 chassis

mnstang

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

uh oh... someone is addicted to fanners  :)

come back to 85hp of liquid glory man... before @fortune46x fills your spot in the lineup with a cross-link suspended 602.  :lol2:

170hp 850's are boring... 

uh oh... someone is addicted to fanners  :)

come back to 85hp of liquid glory man... before @fortune46x fills your spot in the lineup with a cross-link suspended 602.  :lol2:

170hp 850's are boring... 

85 hp just seems so.... excessive.  Lol

is it as hard to get the hood off these as a Procross to work on things?

inquiring minds in NH and all...

Nothing in this world is as difficult as that.

27 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Fanners for life

20201231_162820.jpg

440 4 ever.  PS nice box

Those kids need a good old jag or puma fanner

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

85 hp just seems so.... excessive.  Lol

Nothing in this world is as difficult as that.

440 4 ever.  PS nice box

Those kids need a good old jag or puma fanner

Someday we'll get a 90's cat fanner. The bravo just fits him too good right now and they are a blast to ride not to be confused with a b-last

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Someday we'll get a 90's cat fanner. The bravo just fits him too good right now and they are a blast to ride not to be confused with a b-last

Yes not and the bravo runs, not to be confused with the b-last

The pistons I ordered were for a .020" overbore.  Who bothers doing that with a 340?  Discovered this last Thursday when I was planning to put it back together.  I will have to return them.  Stopped at Dennis Kirk on the way home today and got two pistons.  Got it running and running around the yard.  Runs great!

Prowler chassis life.

200 miles on the Jag Z this weekend, had a blast with it.

PXL_20210222_032709691.jpg

This week in prowler life/fan nation, my sisters family came over and kids got to ride the machines, the puma was the favorite.

I installed some plastic skis on the puma that I got for free from a buddy.  Took some modifications but it seems legit enough.

I got the hand and thumb warmers working on the puma.

I got some saddlebags and windshield bag on marketplace for $30 and got the saddlebags on the puma.

I attempted to put a hitch on the puma but it didn't work so I'm stopping at Dennis Kirk again today to get a different one that should be better and I'm going to install it today at the farm hopefully if I ever leave home.

And I'm going to put the puma to the test this weekend hauling loads of firewood.  It is substantially geared down from a jag so I think it'll do well.

Excited about the saddlebags they will offer tons more storage!

The 340 runs so smooth and so nice.  If you think about it the cylinders are smaller than a 600 triple.

PXL_20210226_153226846.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-105203.png

Last weekend was fun I put close to 50 miles on the puma, 49 were offtrail.  I dropped the needle one clip and it runs mint.  The saddlebags are fantastic.  My plan to get the hitch on the way up backfired as they were out!  I had one shipped to me and got it on last night.  It comes with a new thicker bumper bar too, and it attached further up, should be way more stout.  Explored some back country and with the 136 it did better than I expected, I really like the puma.  My brother and his wife are coming up this weekend and we're going to try to #fanlife are way to some of the local establishments, it's her bday so should be good fun.  The fanners are real versatile and extended the season for sure.  I'm just loving these old sleds.  Excited to cut some more wood this weekend with a legit hitch setup too.

For sure going to keep looking for a cargo rack setup this off-season.  I'm going to have some real purpose at the swap meets this year too.

The plastic skis on the puma work good.  I was going to put on purple loops from the alpha 1 but I think I'll leave them as is, they look solid.

PXL_20210304_023932499.jpg

PXL_20210304_024701495.jpg

PXL_20210227_190847194.jpg

PXL_20210226_234154513.jpg

PXL_20210227_002442328.jpg

PXL_20210227_010352149.NIGHT.jpg

Edited by mnstang
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

maybe add a little underglow to the puma

:lmao:

Maybe after I figure out what oil to run and how to make it wheelie better.

Another successful outing with the fan cooled jag and puma.  Puma was used up hard, another 50 miles all off trail.  All two up on Saturday with some hauling at the same time, hauled one two person deer stand about two miles away.  Then we back countried to the local restaurant.  Still a lot of snow in the woods but most of the snowmobile trail is bare so luckily we don't need to use that.  We explored an area I hadn't been to yet and found an abandoned cabin in the woods and that was really fun to check out.  Sunday I used this potential last snowmobile weekend to haul a bunch of firewood from the back 40, the hitch was a big improvement.  Puma pulled it fine, I will probably get a bigger cargo sleigh. A great fan cooled weekend that couldn't have been possible on a liquid cooled sled.  No issues at all, the saddlebags were both full and used alot.  In the mornings when things were re frozen the Jag was ripping hard I don't know how that thing runs so well.  Funny everyone chirps about EFI but the 4 carbureted sleds in the stable all run mint and better than the EFI sled..

3 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

That's what I love about my bearcat. In weather like this where it's crusty in the morning a liquid would overheat headed out fishing.

Yes and just all the low speed operation on our trails.  Dragging the deer stand a couple miles, hauling logs, the last mile before the bar was brutal too.  Almost no time during the whole weekend a liquid would have been ok.

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

Maybe after I figure out what oil to run and how to make it wheelie better.

Another successful outing with the fan cooled jag and puma.  Puma was used up hard, another 50 miles all off trail.  All two up on Saturday with some hauling at the same time, hauled one two person deer stand about two miles away.  Then we back countried to the local restaurant.  Still a lot of snow in the woods but most of the snowmobile trail is bare so luckily we don't need to use that.  We explored an area I hadn't been to yet and found an abandoned cabin in the woods and that was really fun to check out.  Sunday I used this potential last snowmobile weekend to haul a bunch of firewood from the back 40, the hitch was a big improvement.  Puma pulled it fine, I will probably get a bigger cargo sleigh. A great fan cooled weekend that couldn't have been possible on a liquid cooled sled.  No issues at all, the saddlebags were both full and used alot.  In the mornings when things were re frozen the Jag was ripping hard I don't know how that thing runs so well.  Funny everyone chirps about EFI but the 4 carbureted sleds in the stable all run mint and better than the EFI sled..

that's simple... Klotz and cut the limiter straps

irony, the last company making a fanner is Polaris which is amazing because they only have two smokes and somehow have enough EPA credits to keep selling one.  

your next big step backwards is a free air - and I saw a buttload of those from all brands burned down as a kid.  that said, finned jugs sticking out of the hood, leaf springs, chromed skis and 1.3" of rear travel is just bitchin'

Twister-on-lake_720.png

Make fun all you want.  I've rode them all all and I had a shit load of fun and enjoyment with my old fanners this year, couldn't be happier with my sled situation.  And the Z will still gap your snopros don't worry

• Like 1

Ok well my inbox has been blowing up with requests to give a prowler chassis update so I will oblige but there's not a whole lot new.

Finally took a weekend off with no riding and I am probably done for the year.  I cleaned up some of the sleds pretty good this weekend.

The puma, being I got it mid season and was balls deep in other projects all I did to rear suspension was grease everything and check wheels, slides and a basic visual.  I noticed the track seemed real tight but whatever.  This weekend I was hosing it off with it in air running and man the track would stop real fast when you get off the throttle.  Amazing how much that track being too tight can affect that.  You couldn't turn it by hand at all.  After loosening it rolls almost effortless with one hand.  That should improve take off quite a bit and it felt a little notchy taking off before so hopefully it's butter smooth now and effortless.  

The puma is geared down compared to a jag, which is nice for utility duties.  But I looked into the bearcat 340 and those are geared down even more.  Not sure I want to do that, for now it pulls the wood I've hooked up rather easy.  And it's nice to not be geared super low, still like to open it up sometimes.

Put the black wheels from the puma on the Z, I like the look better it looks more racey and clean.  I did a quicky black spray job on the gray wheels and put them on the puma, it looks pretty good too!   Got some oem Suzuki pistons for the Z I'll be putting in sometime probably preseason next year but I wanted to check squish before so maybe I could cut the heads at same time, but the squish was already at the small end of spec, .055".  I may bump up the timing though, I did to the 96 jag during rebuild and I don't know if it's from that alone but it runs like a raped ape for what it is.

Kind of in list making mode for everything I'd like to acquire, there's so much.  Debating removing the reflectors from the Z.  I'm undecided on that one.  Picked up a NOS Cat upgrade/accessory ryde fx rear shock for the Z, from Thomas.  Thinking of some front end work for next year, either get custom shocks built or get new cat ones I think they're available.  The front end is clean but it could pop a little with a couple things.  If I stay stock shocks I'm thinking of painting the springs purple.

I forgot how fun it is to have little fun garage projects.  Got burned out on it many years ago with cars, but it's nice with these because it's all relatively pretty inexpensive.  I'm still way ahead on the puma.  Just winding down the season now and getting everything situated for December before I start the dirt season.

PXL_20210314_213033971.jpg

PXL_20210315_002721194.jpg

On 3/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, mnstang said:

Make fun all you want.  I've rode them all all and I had a shit load of fun and enjoyment with my old fanners this year, couldn't be happier with my sled situation.  And the Z will still gap your snopros don't worry

come prove it, there may be a few bumps though.  :)  :lol:

21 hours ago, mnstang said:

Ok well my inbox has been blowing up with requests to give a prowler chassis update so I will oblige but there's not a whole lot new.

Finally took a weekend off with no riding and I am probably done for the year.  I cleaned up some of the sleds pretty good this weekend.

The puma, being I got it mid season and was balls deep in other projects all I did to rear suspension was grease everything and check wheels, slides and a basic visual.  I noticed the track seemed real tight but whatever.  This weekend I was hosing it off with it in air running and man the track would stop real fast when you get off the throttle.  Amazing how much that track being too tight can affect that.  You couldn't turn it by hand at all.  After loosening it rolls almost effortless with one hand.  That should improve take off quite a bit and it felt a little notchy taking off before so hopefully it's butter smooth now and effortless.  

The puma is geared down compared to a jag, which is nice for utility duties.  But I looked into the bearcat 340 and those are geared down even more.  Not sure I want to do that, for now it pulls the wood I've hooked up rather easy.  And it's nice to not be geared super low, still like to open it up sometimes.

Put the black wheels from the puma on the Z, I like the look better it looks more racey and clean.  I did a quicky black spray job on the gray wheels and put them on the puma, it looks pretty good too!   Got some oem Suzuki pistons for the Z I'll be putting in sometime probably preseason next year but I wanted to check squish before so maybe I could cut the heads at same time, but the squish was already at the small end of spec, .055".  I may bump up the timing though, I did to the 96 jag during rebuild and I don't know if it's from that alone but it runs like a raped ape for what it is.

Kind of in list making mode for everything I'd like to acquire, there's so much.  Debating removing the reflectors from the Z.  I'm undecided on that one.  Picked up a NOS Cat upgrade/accessory ryde fx rear shock for the Z, from Thomas.  Thinking of some front end work for next year, either get custom shocks built or get new cat ones I think they're available.  The front end is clean but it could pop a little with a couple things.  If I stay stock shocks I'm thinking of painting the springs purple.

I forgot how fun it is to have little fun garage projects.  Got burned out on it many years ago with cars, but it's nice with these because it's all relatively pretty inexpensive.  I'm still way ahead on the puma.  Just winding down the season now and getting everything situated for December before I start the dirt season.

PXL_20210314_213033971.jpg

PXL_20210315_002721194.jpg

you certainly seem entertained with these, and I get it.  has been fun interacting over the winter with about an unappreciated sled many have forgotten.  did you ever check with Mike Carver to find out what the new 'built to fit' shocks cost?  on a completely separate note... what other skids from newer sleds might fit in the existing holes?  looking at the rail and mounting holes it blindly looks like the chassis mounting points might accept a vast variety of skids and arm pressure point configurations.  for some reason I bet you could slam the Z to the ground and with good shocks and springs... possibly even better?

what's the story on the Merc?  I have an old 'tweaked' Volvo for some odd reason can't seem to part with. :)

come prove it, there may be a few bumps though.  :)  :lol:

you certainly seem entertained with these, and I get it.  has been fun interacting over the winter with about an unappreciated sled many have forgotten.  did you ever check with Mike Carver to find out what the new 'built to fit' shocks cost?  on a completely separate note... what other skids from newer sleds might fit in the existing holes?  looking at the rail and mounting holes it blindly looks like the chassis mounting points might accept a vast variety of skids and arm pressure point configurations.  for some reason I bet you could slam the Z to the ground and with good shocks and springs... possibly even better?

what's the story on the Merc?  I have an old 'tweaked' Volvo for some odd reason can't seem to part with. :)

I have been quite entertained.  Growing up on these sleds I've always had a connection and wondered about some of the other models, like this one.  Wasn't sure what I was getting when I started looking for one so it's been cool experiencing the process and I'm so glad I went down this road.  It got me way more excited than buying some new iron.

One weekend this year the plan was to ride the Z the first day and the zr9 the second day, I had so much fun on the Z I rode it again the second day which was a bigger loop.  In the morning one of my riding buddies couldn't understand why but I just kept telling him dude, it's F-U-N.  

I emailed Carver over the weekend but haven't got a reply.  Maybe I'll try again in the off season as I know this is their busy time with racers.  Although from what I can tell, you can still get front shocks for these straight from cat and I really like that idea and I'll probably pull the trigger on those regardless.

I've considered getting a new 6 tower fixed pin clutch, but I got everything working so we'll right now I don't think I'm going to mess with it further.

As far as the skid I'm definitely not interested in anything like that for multiple reasons.  It works really well as it is, really really well.  I mostly want to do some small changes and tweaks to improve on how it is.  I need more foot grip and there's nothing left for these but I picked up some grip boards that go over the rail, for a Polaris.  I am going to try to cut them up and get them on my sled, just the part that goes over the rail that's where I need the traction.  Things like that.  Maybe some subtle cosmetic stuff.  Half the fun is trying to find parts.  Ball joints for these are done and control arm bushings.  I found control arm bushings and a couple ball joints.  The front end is pretty tight but I'd like to refresh with new and then the puma and jag can get the hand-me-downs which they could use.  You really don't want or need this any lower, it's maybe hard to tell in pics because there's not any newer sleds around, it's low!  And I do not want to mess with the handling and balance of this machine, doing that would take a great handling machine and throwing it all in the garbage.  I can say I wait just as long on this for buddies to catch up as on anything else.

Maybe in the future if I get bored I'll do a mod type sled in one of these chassis, I've had some ideas.  But that can come later.  I was already balls to the wall with projects this year, if I do a mod thing I need my plate fully cleared and I don't see that happening for a while, I only do things the right way I don't like to cut corners.  There was a ~4 week stretch this year where every single night I was at my house I was in the garage working late, like not getting into the house til after 11pm and then still needing dinner etc.  Every night.  It was a fun exciting time but I got stretched thin.  Last thing I need is some open ended project right now.

The car is just a car, no real story.  Here's a pic showing the size difference

PXL_20210122_211345186.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No it went in the back of the van.  This one is really rough so I'm just going to take the motor, chaincase, brake and some other misc things.  The gas tank is almost full and the oil tank too.  For free and 5 minutes from my house I had to go get it.  Not sure how to get rid of it after I strip out what I want!

• 2 months later...

Working on a deal to get a 99 z440.  The 99 had a different top end and made 56 hp, compared to the 50 hp of earlier 440 fans.

This will be to run in the jag Z.

Not sure what to do with the exhaust.

I could just run the stock jag exhaust and see what happens.  But there is about a 200 rpm difference in operating rpm for these motors.

I could try to heat and bend the 99 expansion chamber to fit in the jag chassis.  This probably wouldn't end well.. but maybe it would?  I have bent back pipes before that got mangled in wrecks.  Or possibly take both pipes to someone like "the pipe doctor" and see what he can do.

Or do I try an expansion pipe from a 440 liquid motor that came in the jag chassis? Cougar, prowler, jag liquid.

Maybe I am over thinking it and the stock jag exhaust will be fine.

Is there an easy and cheap way to modify an expansion pipe to change the operating range by 200 rpm?  Maybe I should reach out to bikeman about a custom pipe mod.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, mnstang said:

This week in prowler life/fan nation, my sisters family came over and kids got to ride the machines, the puma was the favorite.

I installed some plastic skis on the puma that I got for free from a buddy.  Took some modifications but it seems legit enough.

I got the hand and thumb warmers working on the puma.

I got some saddlebags and windshield bag on marketplace for $30 and got the saddlebags on the puma.

I attempted to put a hitch on the puma but it didn't work so I'm stopping at Dennis Kirk again today to get a different one that should be better and I'm going to install it today at the farm hopefully if I ever leave home.

And I'm going to put the puma to the test this weekend hauling loads of firewood.  It is substantially geared down from a jag so I think it'll do well.

Excited about the saddlebags they will offer tons more storage!

The 340 runs so smooth and so nice.  If you think about it the cylinders are smaller than a 600 triple.

PXL_20210226_153226846.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-105203.png

That sled with 2up will do wheelies for days. With 2 adults on it lean back. It doesn’t have enough horse power to blow the track out. It will get great traction and lift the skis 

My brother rode it one weekend with his wife, it is geared lower and is adequate off the line but not sure about wheely material.  Although I don't think it was tried, maybe next season I'll have to see, that'd be funny.

PXL_20210306_200052984.jpg

7 hours ago, mnstang said:

My brother rode it one weekend with his wife, it is geared lower and is adequate off the line but not sure about wheely material.  Although I don't think it was tried, maybe next season I'll have to see, that'd be funny.

PXL_20210306_200052984.jpg

My uncle got one for for my younger cousin back in the day. Me and my trouble making cousin were not allowed to ride it because we can’t have nice things. We got to ride once and it was a wheelie machine lol

• Like 1

Well another cat followed me home last night.  6 machines at my house now wtf.

No this is not a prowler chassis, but I got this sled for the motor, I will be going through it to some degree, probably just top end, and putting it in the jag Z.  And it has a good 9 tower clutch and a roller secondary.

I figure I will put the free jag motor and clutches in it's place and sell it for what I've got into it ($450) and have a free motor and clutches out of it.

99 was a unique one off year.  56 hp vs 50 of the previous years.  Unfortunately new pistons are worth what I paid for the whole sled!  It only has 2200 miles though, guy owned it since 02, it's decent besides the seat.

PXL_20210723_143046740.jpg

• Thanks 1

• mnstang changed the title to Cat AWS1 chassis

Picked up a rack setup for the puma.  I switched the bigger puma backrest foam to it along with the backrest cover. Not a direct bolt on but not too bad.  Holds my chainsaw pretty good!  I'm sure it'll be handy for trapping too and winter camping trips.

Just mocking it up in this picture, I'm still going to remove, sand and paint it

Screenshot_20210919-235052.png

• Like 1