:lol:

looks good, any luck on the 93?

Your snopro uses atv headlights

v-1.jpg

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Your snopro uses atv headlights

v-1.jpg

I know, they aren't great but at least I have four of them.  :lol:

Actually, when properly adjusted with good halogen bulbs and when you trim the openings they are just barely tolerable compared to modern lamps.

Your Jag headlight is probably more useful than the one on the bLast, from what some owners have reported.  

I won't let you or anyone else attempt to win the worst snowmobile headlight award.  We had a SkiDoo Safari 377 and when ridden hard, the headlight would inconveniently fall inside the hood at the most innopportune moment.

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I know, they aren't great but at least I have four of them.  :lol:

Actually, when properly adjusted with good halogen bulbs and when you trim the openings they are just barely tolerable compared to modern lamps.

Your Jag headlight is probably more useful than the one on the bLast, from what some owners have reported.  

I won't let you or anyone else attempt to win the worst snowmobile headlight award.  We had a SkiDoo Safari 377 and when ridden hard, the headlight would inconveniently fall inside the hood at the most innopportune moment.

I've never had a problem with the jag or snopro headlights.  Jag has less for lightweight, the true performance machine.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 9:33 AM, Cwhite138 said:

with the suspension parts, did you get it all from your local dealer? 
I noticed looking for parts for my wildcat a lot of parts are NLA.

If you need a lower ball joint for one of those I should have one.  It is new.  I picked one up for a spare jag part, not knowing if it works for jags but have since found a few nos jag ones 

• 4 months later...

Arctic Cat JAG Z. Rear suspension removed and all the wheels are getting new grease or bearings if they can't be saved. Skid was in better shape than I thought.

Next up, front suspension. Any suggestion how I can remove the rear bolt on the lower A-Arms without removing the engine or bellypan? Otherwise I remove the spindles and mask and paint the arms without removing them.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0002b.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

On 8/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, zr800m10 said:

Arctic Cat JAG Z. Rear suspension removed and all the wheels are getting new grease or bearings if they can't be saved. Skid was in better shape than I thought.

Next up, front suspension. Any suggestion how I can remove the rear bolt on the lower A-Arms without removing the engine or bellypan? Otherwise I remove the spindles and mask and paint the arms without removing them.

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0002b.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

A 93, nice!

You don't have to remove engine or belly pan to take the control arm bolts out.  I replaced the bushings in my 94 z, our 96 jag, and in the puma last year.  Didn't remove engine or belly pan.  At first I thought belly pan would have to come off but it doesn't and it's really not too bad at all to do.

I think if you remove the exhaust is all you have to do 

Edited by mnstang

• 1 month later...

This weekend I got the Jag out and finally put the snopro motor in.  Wanted to get another jag to be the mod but that is not happening so doing it to the 94.  Good amount of time into this motor and lots of reading and over analyzing things as far as timing and exhaust to run.  Hopefully it turns out good.  It's running and I even took it around the yard but it didn't like that, I dumped a bunch of oil in the crankcase when I put it together and it was still burning that out it is running good now on the stand but I haven't even begun jetting it, still using jetting from the stock motor and it's running lean even at 70 degrees today.

And I looked at it a bunch.  Man it looks sweet.

PXL_20221001_182203250.jpg

PXL_20221003_010637427.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Badger** said:

I may have a 1988 El Tigre 6000 for sale that needs some work. PM me if intrested. 

I am about at my limit I have five machines plus the family machine that I take care of

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

I am about at my limit I have five machines plus the family machine that I take care of

it belonged to a young friend of mine who committed suicide, I'm just looking for a good home for the sled. 

• 1 month later...

Sourced a couple more shocks so now I have a complete set of NOS Ryde FX accessory catalog shocks for the 94 jag.  Sick.

Also the 96 jag got some early use.

Also sourced some period correct, stock appearing aluminum skis that should be good for a 12 pound weight saving for the 94 and the 96 will likely end up with the 94 skis because the 96's are wearing pretty thin.

If I hadn't been hunting I would have already had some solid testing on the 94 with the mod motor 

PXL_20221123_005800537.jpg

PXL_20221120_164813568.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

Sourced a couple more shocks so now I have a complete set of NOS Ryde FX accessory catalog shocks for the 94 jag.  Sick.

Also the 96 jag got some early use.

Also sourced some period correct, stock appearing aluminum skis that should be good for a 12 pound weight saving for the 94 and the 96 will likely end up with the 94 skis because the 96's are wearing pretty thin.

If I hadn't been hunting I would have already had some solid testing on the 94 with the mod motor 

PXL_20221123_005800537.jpg

PXL_20221120_164813568.jpg

Jerry is a good guy and has a ton of stuff.

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Jerry is a good guy and has a ton of stuff.

For sure, he is a good stopping point at Princeton.  I was super pumped to find the shocks on his site.  Great price too.  Last two.  I only knew the part numbers for them because I picked up these old RV sports catalogs and they had them listed there and then I searched Jerry's with those numbers.  Even the old performance manuals I have didn't list those shocks.  The RV sports catalogs are super cool to look through!

PXL_20221124_020303544.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mnstang said:

For sure, he is a good stopping point at Princeton.  I was super pumped to find the shocks on his site.  Great price too.  Last two.  I only knew the part numbers for them because I picked up these old RV sports catalogs and they had them listed there and then I searched Jerry's with those numbers.  Even the old performance manuals I have didn't list those shocks.  The RV sports catalogs are super cool to look through!

PXL_20221124_020303544.jpg

Bought a few things from his nos stuff when I had the old cats. Pretty impressive inventory. 

• 2 months later...

It's been non stop aws1 fan cooled action all winter.   Many late garage nights to 4-5am including last night.

The mod Jag is pretty much done.  I have a different helix to put in for next time out.  All four nos ryde fx shocks are in, they look great in front.  Don't notice a ton of difference in ride but they are set-up differently with spring collar positions so like the FTS now has considerably less spring preload than before... Wasn't sure about that because it handled so well before.  What I've noticed with back to back comparisons with our 96, the 96 is more squirrelly, the back end steps out quite a bit in corners, not where it's going to come around but probably more than needed as it probably scrubs some speed.  The Z still steps out which helps a ton for turning, but it's less and more controlled.  It is more stable in a straight line also instead of how it was before it'd be squirming around just trying to go straight in some snow condition, I forgot about that till I hoped on the 96.  It is an absolute dream handling machine, getting in those tight forest trails with constant up downs and all arounds, there is nothing funner that I know of, you can push it very hard and these sleds respond so well to rider inputs.  You're drifting through every corner but at very fast clips and it's controlled and effortless, faster than you can get through on bigger sleds, it is just so damn fun and the trails I ride are perfect for these kinds of sleds. 

On the Z I did a custom frogzskin air intake on the console so it's a straight shot straight into the airbox.  Pretty trick.  Still running the air silencer though, it's way louder with the frogzskin and then with no air silencer it's crazy loud.  Might do some testing/modifying with that at some point.  I did a custom fan shroud that seals up pretty perfectly to the big hood vent so it's pushing all cold air from outside the sled through the motor.  In a straight line race it now murders our 96 which is a pretty good runner.  We went from a few different rolls and even giving the 96 a pretty good jump, the Z instantly reels it in and pulls right by.  To the point I was asking my brother if he was even full throttle and then thinking something is maybe wrong with the 96 but there wasn't.   I'm still not sold on my port job on the motor but I did pick up another snopro motor so at some point I'll swap those stock cylinders on as a test to see the difference, probably next winter at this point.

I swapped the original 440 motor out of the Z and into the puma.  Single carb at first and was using some 440 LC cougar exhaust at first because I didn't have a spare 440 FC exhaust.  Ended up picking up a 93 jag Z for $100 at a swap that is mostly complete, missing clutches, recoil, couple things here and there but I couldn't pass it up (I wanted to) because I would've paid $100 just for the expansion pipe.  That sled has been a HUGE score.  The motor looks perfect inside, like it was fogged before they parked it and it has zero scoring on pistons or walls, zero!  The fuel valve was off and it looks like they ran carbs empty before parking, there was no funny business there either.  So the puma got the correct exhaust pipe.  I now have a spare can so I've done version one of modding that and it is on.  I put the entire twin carb setup on the puma, having a donor was crucial as there's always more stuff like throttle and choke cables, intake boots, intake manifolds and the aluminum fittings, airbox, fuel pump.  The puma absolutely rips now.  It still has puma gearing which is lower but it'll probably give the Z a run up to 60 right now.  Very happy with it.  I'm going to put jag gearing in it today though.  Now it is still a great utility sled for around the farm but it's now an extremely capable trail sled option for a backup, two people, cold weather days, or whatever.  I also took the entire front end and sway bar from the 93z and will clean it up and eventually get on the puma, probably next winter.  2" wider front end and I have some one year old nos shocks for it too that were on the 94.

Last night I put the tach from the 93 parts sled onto the puma so it has a fully working tach now also.  You had to have the hood harness for a tach sled to make it work so another score there with the parts sled.  The only thing left from the 93 parts sled is I'll probably take the handlebars and then cut out the tunnel to keep the tunnel graphics to probably get them re-popped some time.  The 93 hood will go on the wall for now but some day I'd like to take a 94 cougar with the 440 LC and put the 93z hood and tunnel graphics on and see how much I can get out of an LC sled.  The 93 Z for me is one of the best lookers of all time, both the 580 and 440.  Thought about putting the 93z hood on the puma and the 93 Z tunnel graphics to have a sick puma Z two up.. but I like the puma as it is also and I run it through alit of shit sometimes so don't want it too fancy.

Lots of excitement this year and projects are never ending which is fun.

One lunch stop when we were on the jags, they were outside the window at this lakeside restaurant.  Couple other guys pulled in and parked.  The one guy was looking over the Z for ten minutes, pointing out stuff to his buddy, he took a few pictures and just kept looking at alot of stuff on it.  That was really fun seeing a random stranger really like it!

PXL_20230211_165440133.jpg

PXL_20230211_090423108.jpg

PXL_20230203_214632002.jpg

IMG_20230203_154443_01.jpg

PXL_20230204_212153795.jpg

PXL_20230129_180932728.jpg

PXL_20230127_183934226.jpg

PXL_20221231_224308435.jpg

PXL_20230102_223955962.jpg

Edited by mnstang
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, mnstang said:

It's been non stop aws1 fan cooled action all winter.   Many late garage nights to 4-5am including last night.

The mod Jag is pretty much done.  I have a different helix to put in for next time out.  All four nos ryde fx shocks are in, they look great in front.  Don't notice a ton of difference in ride but they are set-up differently with spring collar positions so like the FTS now has considerably less spring preload than before... Wasn't sure about that because it handled so well before.  What I've noticed with back to back comparisons with our 96, the 96 is more squirrelly, the back end steps out quite a bit in corners, not where it's going to come around but probably more than needed as it probably scrubs some speed.  The Z still steps out which helps a ton for turning, but it's less and more controlled.  It is more stable in a straight line also instead of how it was before it'd be squirming around just trying to go straight in some snow condition, I forgot about that till I hoped on the 96.  It is an absolute dream handling machine, getting in those tight forest trails with constant up downs and all arounds, there is nothing funner that I know of, you can push it very hard and these sleds respond so well to rider inputs.  You're drifting through every corner but at very fast clips and it's controlled and effortless, faster than you can get through on bigger sleds, it is just so damn fun and the trails I ride are perfect for these kinds of sleds. 

On the Z I did a custom frogzskin air intake on the console so it's a straight shot straight into the airbox.  Pretty trick.  Still running the air silencer though, it's way louder with the frogzskin and then with no air silencer it's crazy loud.  Might do some testing/modifying with that at some point.  I did a custom fan shroud that seals up pretty perfectly to the big hood vent so it's pushing all cold air from outside the sled through the motor.  In a straight line race it now murders our 96 which is a pretty good runner.  We went from a few different rolls and even giving the 96 a pretty good jump, the Z instantly reels it in and pulls right by.  To the point I was asking my brother if he was even full throttle and then thinking something is maybe wrong with the 96 but there wasn't.   I'm still not sold on my port job on the motor but I did pick up another snopro motor so at some point I'll swap those stock cylinders on as a test to see the difference, probably next winter at this point.

I swapped the original 440 motor out of the Z and into the puma.  Single carb at first and was using some 440 LC cougar exhaust at first because I didn't have a spare 440 FC exhaust.  Ended up picking up a 93 jag Z for $100 at a swap that is mostly complete, missing clutches, recoil, couple things here and there but I couldn't pass it up (I wanted to) because I would've paid $100 just for the expansion pipe.  That sled has been a HUGE score.  The motor looks perfect inside, like it was fogged before they parked it and it has zero scoring on pistons or walls, zero!  The fuel valve was off and it looks like they ran carbs empty before parking, there was no funny business there either.  So the puma got the correct exhaust pipe.  I now have a spare can so I've done version one of modding that and it is on.  I put the entire twin carb setup on the puma, having a donor was crucial as there's always more stuff like throttle and choke cables, intake boots, intake manifolds and the aluminum fittings, airbox, fuel pump.  The puma absolutely rips now.  It still has puma gearing which is lower but it'll probably give the Z a run up to 60 right now.  Very happy with it.  I'm going to put jag gearing in it today though.  Now it is still a great utility sled for around the farm but it's now an extremely capable trail sled option for a backup, two people, cold weather days, or whatever.  I also took the entire front end and sway bar from the 93z and will clean it up and eventually get on the puma, probably next winter.  2" wider front end and I have some one year old nos shocks for it too that were on the 94.

Last night I put the tach from the 93 parts sled onto the puma so it has a fully working tach now also.  You had to have the hood harness for a tach sled to make it work so another score there with the parts sled.  The only thing left from the 93 parts sled is I'll probably take the handlebars and then cut out the tunnel to keep the tunnel graphics to probably get them re-popped some time.  The 93 hood will go on the wall for now but some day I'd like to take a 94 cougar with the 440 LC and put the 93z hood and tunnel graphics on and see how much I can get out of an LC sled.  The 93 Z for me is one of the best lookers of all time, both the 580 and 440.  Thought about putting the 93z hood on the puma and the 93 Z tunnel graphics to have a sick puma Z two up.. but I like the puma as it is also and I run it through alit of shit sometimes so don't want it too fancy.

Lots of excitement this year and projects are never ending which is fun.

One lunch stop when we were on the jags, they were outside the window at this lakeside restaurant.  Couple other guys pulled in and parked.  The one guy was looking over the Z for ten minutes, pointing out stuff to his buddy, he took a few pictures and just kept looking at alot of stuff on it.  That was really fun seeing a random stranger really like it!

PXL_20230211_165440133.jpg

PXL_20230211_090423108.jpg

PXL_20230203_214632002.jpg

IMG_20230203_154443_01.jpg

PXL_20230204_212153795.jpg

PXL_20230129_180932728.jpg

PXL_20230127_183934226.jpg

PXL_20221231_224308435.jpg

PXL_20230102_223955962.jpg

The Z was one bad ass looking sled. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got this sweet cargo container over the winter and finally installed it as I put the sled away.  I had to slide the rack back to fit it and then redo the backrest again.  Pretty sweet!  I've seen these in the old accessory catalogs and always wanted to fine one.  It velcros to the rack in 6 places so it can be removed easy.

PXL_20230220_182217075.jpg

PXL_20230512_211557008.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 4:32 PM, mnstang said:

I got this sweet cargo container over the winter and finally installed it as I put the sled away.  I had to slide the rack back to fit it and then redo the backrest again.  Pretty sweet!  I've seen these in the old accessory catalogs and always wanted to fine one.  It velcros to the rack in 6 places so it can be removed easy.

PXL_20230220_182217075.jpg

PXL_20230512_211557008.jpg

I recently got a bag like that on eBay for my T660 turbo touring, came with a factory tool kit!

Reading through this thread brought me back to my fan cooled days... I had a 1988 AFS Cougar 500 fan with the outboard rear shocks! I actually have a 500 fan engine sitting on a shelf in the garage that would probably start right up if it had a sled to belong to.

Great to read about all your work 👍

On 1/17/2024 at 3:01 PM, EXTra said:

I recently got a bag like that on eBay for my T660 turbo touring, came with a factory tool kit!

Reading through this thread brought me back to my fan cooled days... I had a 1988 AFS Cougar 500 fan with the outboard rear shocks! I actually have a 500 fan engine sitting on a shelf in the garage that would probably start right up if it had a sled to belong to.

Great to read about all your work 👍

Cool thanks.  I have continued doing lots of stuff to the aws1 fanners I just don't post about it much.  I have thought about putting a 500 in something, I'm sure I will at some point.  They are fun.  I like finding some of the old trick parts and accessories and making them really cool and tuning them up.  The Puma got put to work this weekend and performed well.

PXL_20240119_214238540.jpg

PXL_20231209_065800441.jpg

• Like 4