Cat AWS1 chassis

mnstang

My first modern sled was a Arctic Cat JAG AFS 440, and it had one carburator. There were 2-carb kit to buy from Black Magic but it was too expensive for me then. Next sled was a Wildcat 700 and that one already had twin carbs..

But when my little brother was about to get his first sled he drooled over the Jag AWS Z Special with twin carbs and the low windscreen, it looked mean! I remember we used to discuss how many horsepowers it had compared to the AFS 440.
But in the end we found a nice JAG 440 AFS that we bought.

But I still don´t know how many hp the JAG Z Special made, what is the answer?

Edited by zr800m10
spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, zr800m10 said:

My first modern sled was a Arctic Cat JAG AFS 440, and it had one carburator. There were 2-carb kit to buy from Black Magic but it was too expensive for me then. Next sled was a Wildcat 700 and that one already had twin carbs..

But when my little brother was about to get his first sled he drooled over the Jag AWS Z Special with twin carbs and the low windscreen, it looked mean! I remember we used to discuss how many horsepowers it had compared to the AFS 440.
But in the end we found a nice JAG 440 AFS that we bought.

But I still don´t know hon many hp the JAG Z Special made, what is the answer?

50 HP.  I think the single carb was 42.

• Like 2

There was a jag special in the afs chassis also.  Not really sure what the difference is, that one had a single carb though.  

I have a later model 440 motor from a z snopro to go in my jag or if I get another jag.  They were different motors and rated more, 56-67hp depending on the year.

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

That one is pretty rough.  This one is better but I think you can find one with a decent seat.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/198109832440785/

This one is not bad for covid era prices.  And the graphics have already been removed for more monster sticker potential. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/185360207120573/

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

That one is pretty rough.  This one is better but I think you can find one with a decent seat.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/198109832440785/

This one is not bad for covid era prices.  And the graphics have already been removed for more monster sticker potential. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/185360207120573/

I have the one in Grand Rapids in my saved items, but yeah the seat is sucky 

• Like 1

"-One Special please.."

Picked up a 1993 JAG Z Special today, decent condition and runnable. Needs some love and new parts.
Hood has two cracks and the "chin" also has some cracks.
Ignition key is broken in lock
New tether is needed, has the mandatory screw inside it to make it work right now
Switch in throttleblock is out of order
Seatcover needs some stiching or better a new cover
Peeling paint on suspension parts

I think I´ll just fix ignition, throttle block and tether this season and run it. More fixing in the summer.
Got no book so I would like to know the default jetting for this machine, any suggestions for main, pilot, needle setting and screws?

DSC_0400.thumb.JPG.ac8b145906ff03aab88fbc8ae825563a.JPGDSC_0402.thumb.JPG.2d27b3549b89e79a1d602551947a366e.JPG

Edited by zr800m10
spelling

Nice, I like the 93's and have been looking for a decent one to pick up myself.

What is going on with the extra lever by the throttle?

The stock scissor position is the rear hole.  Moving it up makes it collapse easier.  The stock tunnel mount is the upper hole.  I don't think it'll make the steering any quicker, it might make for more ski pressure, but with the scissor moved also, hard to know.  I'd put everything back to stock and see how you like it.  They got the handling and balance very well with it stock.  You for sure don't need more ski pressure.  They already beg to turn and could probably use a tad more straight line stability.

As for jetting specs.  I don't know offhand and I'm not at home where my books are.  But you can look up all your jets sizes in parts finder websites like at www.thomassnosports.com, and order parts there too.

You might be different than my machine due to elevation, temps, etc.  I run stock main, pilot, and needle.  I did try different pilot and mains but found my way back to stock.  It likes the stock pilot the best for sure. I did drop the needles one clip though, that helped alot.  I can look up the air screw setting, I know mine are pretty much what the book says.  It runs clean and crisp.  Don't try to lean it out too much with the main jet, a little rich is fine and it helps keep the motor cool if you run it hard.  I only dropped the needles because I had to, it was too blubbery at part throttle in the stock position.

5 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

I have the one in Grand Rapids in my saved items, but yeah the seat is sucky 

It looks decent, just minus that seat.  Nobody likes that.  You could always find a used seat, but it's more hassle.  It looks like a deluxe so it should have electric start if it still works.  Pretty weird it has a tachometer!  Must have installed that as an accessory.  The base pumas didn't even come with a speedometer or hand warmers!

35 minutes ago, mnstang said:

It looks decent, just minus that seat.  Nobody likes that.  You could always find a used seat, but it's more hassle.  It looks like a deluxe so it should have electric start if it still works.  Pretty weird it has a tachometer!  Must have installed that as an accessory.  The base pumas didn't even come with a speedometer or hand warmers!

On the bold I didn't realize that until this weekend.  There was a decent looking 94 puma west of st cloud but the no handwarmers was a deal breaker

35 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

On the bold I didn't realize that until this weekend.  There was a decent looking 94 puma west of st cloud but the no handwarmers was a deal breaker

Yep.  The base had nothing.  Deluxe had hand and thumb.  2 up had just hand, no thumb.  My puma someone did install the optional thumb warmer.

Here's a 96 Jag with low miles.  96 got the 9 tower clutch.   https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/643381920175507/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mnstang said:

Nice, I like the 93's and have been looking for a decent one to pick up myself.

What is going on with the extra lever by the throttle?

<snip>

In Sweden it was mandatory for snowmobiles to have "two independent brake systems" for a couple of years, some airhead politician thought that if the wire broke you would be brakeless.

Yep, the same as if the chain breaks... and both levers actuate the same brake! So if the lever down at the brake rotor comes off you would still be without brakes.
Also it was mandatory with a horn, but the rubber ball horn is luckily missing on this machine.
Of course the extra brake will be removed, less weight and you can move your hand all the way in to the throttle.

Thanks for the tip about parts sites, hadn´t thought about those.
Ostersund where I live is about 312 meters above sea level (1023 feet) so I think stock jetting will do.

Edited by zr800m10
spelling
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 12:30 PM, zr800m10 said:

What effect does it have to move the rear scissors forward or rearward?

Suspension is in the lower hole, as I remember it that will get me quicker steering, am I right?

DSC_0405.thumb.JPG.27c7a080962583f68db6655849f5cbcc.JPG

PXL_20211224_164236157.jpg

PXL_20211224_164736664.jpg

PXL_20211224_164923626.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Jag out for a shakedown today, Stayed with the stock motor but it got some Suzuki pistons and I bumped the timing.  Felt strong, rips pretty good!  20-60 is exciting.  I have a hi po belt and a roller clutch I'd like to test with.  I got new shocks and polished the adjusters.  Tip top shape!

Screenshot_20220107-215523.png

13 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Took the Jag out for a shakedown today, Stayed with the stock motor but it got some Suzuki pistons and I bumped the timing.  Felt strong, rips pretty good!  20-60 is exciting.  I have a hi po belt and a roller clutch I'd like to test with.  I got new shocks and polished the adjusters.  Tip top shape!

I bought that same sled for my wife many years ago. Sold it and bought her a new 1997 ZL 440. We has a blast with booth them. 

10 hours ago, mnstang said:

it's nice to see them using the same windscreen and headlight on the b-Last

:lol:

looks good, any luck on the 93?

12 hours ago, Badger** said:

I bought that same sled for my wife many years ago. Sold it and bought her a new 1997 ZL 440. We has a blast with booth them. 

They are stupid fun for the trails I ride.  I've always liked the 97 ZL.

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

it's nice to see them using the same windscreen and headlight on the b-Last

:lol:

looks good, any luck on the 93?

Nope.  Guy told me Thursday the person he was holding for was making arrangements to get it and the ad is now gone.  Pretty tough miss. Maybe if @Sled_Hedwould have alerted me to it sooner, I would have got it.  Thanks alot.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, mnstang said:

They are stupid fun for the trails I ride.  I've always liked the 97 ZL.

Nope.  Guy told me Thursday the person he was holding for was making arrangements to get it and the ad is now gone.  Pretty tough miss. Maybe if @Sled_Hedwould have alerted me to it sooner, I would have got it.  Thanks alot.

That sucks.

I'm in 'chat mode' about the one from the other night.  We'll see where that goes.  ;) 

• Like 1

It´s alive! MOOAHAHAHAHA! Hrm. First run for the season and I got to test the JAG Z i bought before christmas.
Faster than I though it would feel, and that was after a hour-long trip on the Lynx 850!
Speedometer not working so I have no idea how fast I went, felt like 200 mph since it is so low. :-D

DSC_0402.thumb.JPG.2673e6f03987dda10a2ff3f6905695cb.JPG_20220109_151457.thumb.JPG.fca4d98475a6980448949fb7c0472830.JPG_20220109_151407.thumb.JPG.3f74863d0dfd49f178151788466743bd.JPG_20220109_151620.thumb.JPG.149968192a8284dc71bd4638d07a83d0.JPG

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zr800m10 said:

It´s alive! MOOAHAHAHAHA! Hrm. First run for the season and I got to test the JAG Z i bought before christmas.
Faster than I though it would feel, and that was after a hour-long trip on the Lynx 850!
Speedometer not working so I have no idea how fast I went, felt like 200 mph since it is so low. :-D

DSC_0402.thumb.JPG.2673e6f03987dda10a2ff3f6905695cb.JPG_20220109_151457.thumb.JPG.fca4d98475a6980448949fb7c0472830.JPG_20220109_151407.thumb.JPG.3f74863d0dfd49f178151788466743bd.JPG_20220109_151620.thumb.JPG.149968192a8284dc71bd4638d07a83d0.JPG

I rode mine a little right after riding the 800 and wasn't sure how it'd feel but it still felt fast.  Squirming and fighting for traction will keep it entertaining, it even picked a ski up once when I pinned it at around 30.  I can't wait to ride it some more.  With the gearing they go about 80 on the speedometer, I think I got slightly over 80 on a road last year.  Usually 75 on average trail conditions.

Usually a speedometer not working is an indication that your track shaft bearing is bad.  When it goes bad it will break the little 2" cable section between the shaft and the speedo adapter.  If it has all balls bearings in it, it's probably bad.  Those are the cheapest shittiest China bearings.

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

<snip>

Usually a speedometer not working is an indication that your track shaft bearing is bad.  When it goes bad it will break the little 2" cable section between the shaft and the speedo adapter.  If it has all balls bearings in it, it's probably bad.  Those are the cheapest shittiest China bearings.

The bearings was recently changed by previous owner, so maybe the speedo was broken already then..