Cat AWS1 chassis

mnstang

14 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Carver is 'making' shocks, if you want to stick a little $ in her.
https://www.facebook.com/carverperformance/photos/a.10151460464596159/10159180717151159/

That's pretty cool actually.  I'm still getting everything fully sorted on it and getting it to be it's best.  But when I get there and if I'm really pumped on the sled I might look into this for sure.  Some bling and some performance would both be cool.  Worked on it every night last week and looking like the same for this week with lots of parts coming in.  It's definitely fun.  We are going to do the big vintage run this weekend.  Trails were all groomed this weekend and got a little more snow overnight

Screenshot_20210123-011258.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

That's pretty cool actually.  I'm still getting everything fully sorted on it and getting it to be it's best.  But when I get there and if I'm really pumped on the sled I might look into this for sure.  Some bling and some performance would both be cool.  Worked on it every night last week and looking like the same for this week with lots of parts coming in.  It's definitely fun.  We are going to do the big vintage run this weekend.  Trails were all groomed this weekend and got a little more snow overnight

Screenshot_20210123-011258.png

nothing says classy like gold shocks on an older chassis.  

Procross looks out of place, but that's a nice shot.

what's up with the FB dude not willing to ship the primary clutch?  fickle folks.  I might be able to work out a relay...

4 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

nothing says classy like gold shocks on an older chassis.  

Procross looks out of place, but that's a nice shot.

what's up with the FB dude not willing to ship the primary clutch?  fickle folks.  I might be able to work out a relay...

Yeah I don't know.  Why put something on an international group if you're not willing to ship.  There's some really cool saddlebags on Beloit on marketplace that I tried to get the guy to ship offering to pay for shipping and his hassle and he still won't ship.  I didn't know it was so difficult for some people to ship stuff.

A couple more things showed up today including this manual

16116408511827548231301302454810.jpg

1 hour ago, Icecube said:

Nice collection and the lighting and backdrop on the pic of the sleds is really nice

Oh that's not all of them just a random pic I took over the weekend that looked cool.  New phone has a night view mode that can take some interesting pictures in the dark.

Looking to do some testing this weekend with my brother.  I did some testing last weekend and picked up 3mph just with a spring change but side by side testing with a constant sled will be the best because you can really see the difference.  Hopefully we have some free time.

23 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Oh that's not all of them just a random pic I took over the weekend that looked cool.  New phone has a night view mode that can take some interesting pictures in the dark.

Looking to do some testing this weekend with my brother.  I did some testing last weekend and picked up 3mph just with a spring change but side by side testing with a constant sled will be the best because you can really see the difference.  Hopefully we have some free time.

That’s awesome!

Thanks for sharing... I have only 3 green machines, hoping to go it.

Looking forward to hearing more on your progress.

Cube

4 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

you see this?  https://fb.watch/3pO69BEmLc/

amazing how all the old Jags came out of the woodwork this winter, and for that matter a lot of cool old sleds people have been sitting on.

Covid = bad for America - good for vintage sled hunters.

I did not.  My phone is fucking up and I no longer get audio on FB videos lol so what is so special about them?  I was never a fan of those jags though.  Too soft.  Not on the prowler chassis!

50 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I did not.  My phone is fucking up and I no longer get audio on FB videos lol so what is so special about them?  I was never a fan of those jags though.  Too soft.  Not on the prowler chassis!

just funny how some of the unwanted sleds, are now wanted.  these aren't old muscle cars or vintage bikes... no one wanted most of these sleds just a few years ago.  guy I grew up with went nuts this past summer buying up old Indy's, sold most and kept the cherries.  

btw, is your video above supposed to play, or is that just a screen shot?  

I'm not sure if they came out of the woodwork more than a normal year because I wasn't looking for them the other years.  But it's possible.  Good time to sell.  That was just a screenshot of a video..

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

just funny how some of the unwanted sleds, are now wanted.  these aren't old muscle cars or vintage bikes... no one wanted most of these sleds just a few years ago.  guy I grew up with went nuts this past summer buying up old Indy's, sold most and kept the cherries.  

btw, is your video above supposed to play, or is that just a screen shot?  

At one point noone wanted muscle cars or vintage bikes either..

On 1/26/2021 at 12:01 AM, mnstang said:

Yeah I don't know.  Why put something on an international group if you're not willing to ship.  There's some really cool saddlebags on Beloit on marketplace that I tried to get the guy to ship offering to pay for shipping and his hassle and he still won't ship.  I didn't know it was so difficult for some people to ship stuff.

A couple more things showed up today including this manual

16116408511827548231301302454810.jpg

I got this one from the guy at the parts store in town, kinda neat. 

20210203_180504.jpg

19 hours ago, mnstang said:

At one point noone wanted muscle cars or vintage bikes either..

don't remind me, when I was 17 I had enough $ saved to buy a triple black Hemi Challenger in Milwaukee I found in Wheeler Dealer (wonder how many remember that monthly periodical) and my dad wouldn't let me buy it because it would f-up his insurance rates and it was a gas guzzling muscle car.  about a decade later when Mopars went through the roof, he admitted he was wrong.

Sled Head I also now am in possession of the "rare" 94 performance manual and it has a page in it for drag race setup for the JagZ/Jag special.  I was like a kid in a candy store.  There's alot of good information in those books not just all about performance either.  Super cool.  The tamarack vintage run last weekend was good times.  We went to Lawler like the traditional way I think more people did that than going towards horshoe or wherever.  I need to get better at trapping to get a cool hat.

Corner 2 corner yes I remember those I used to read those all the time I know we had them at the drug store I worked at in high school and I'd read through cover 2 cover.

• Like 1

It's been a few years since we hit up the tamarack ride but it was usually fun, lots of interesting stuff would show up. I suppose I need to buy a 90's sled other than the bearcat so I can put the book to use lol.

The bearcats have a larger secondary that use to be a sought after back in the day by the drag racers!

There's a nice looking 96 bearcat for sale right now.  I'd like to get it but just have too much stuff going on now with sleds and the clock is ticking on winter already

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

The bearcats have a larger secondary that use to be a sought after back in the day by the drag racers!

There's a nice looking 96 bearcat for sale right now.  I'd like to get it but just have too much stuff going on now with sleds and the clock is ticking on winter already

Yep, used to bring a premium to race guys.  Saw a 96 like mine for sale for 2200.

34 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Yep, used to bring a premium to race guys.  Saw a 96 like mine for sale for 2200.

I think that's the one I've been seeing.  Seems decent, good price too for this year

All kinds of prowler chassis updates.

Me and my brother did the vintage day on our Jags, it was great.  Still haven't hit some of the real money trails on the JagZ yet but I've thrown it into a few corners and early results are that it might be the funnest cornering snowmobile I've ever rode.  Definitely the best for tight trails.  It lacks some straight line stability but it really like to turn and the back end comes out willingly with just enough to instantly get you pointed wherever you want.  A few times I had to keep it from turning down to much.  Super fun, the wider stance and swaybar make a big difference compared to our Jag deluxe.  The next day we went out to our dragstrip and did alot of testing so I could try some clutching stuff and compare to the 96.  Well on the last run the 96 blew up.  The crank snapped in half at the rod bearing, piston skirt was broken, not sure what happened first but it was not good.  That sled has been stretched out alot over 25 years so can't be too upset although obviously a bummer.  We were going hard with long races over and over and over.  Picked up a used motor.  Didn't look great most of the cooling fins were blocked so it probably was ran hot.  Took it apart, didn't look horrible, could have used it as is probably.  One cylinder had the lining coming off above the big main port and piston a little scratched.  Used one cylinder from the 96, got two new Dennis Kirk piston and a gasket set and I was ripping it around a little under a week from when it blew up, it runs better than ever.  Used the 96 stator and coil and fan assembly so I got some spares, and a spare cylinder and piston too.  Turned up the oil pump a little.  Good to go.  370 for the used motor and pistons and gasket and got some spare parts out of it too.

The JagZ had the old style 6 tower clutch.  It's in extremely nice looking shape but it's a little noisy at some speeds, I was reading in the performance book you can tighten up the towers against the buttons.  But it's the old comet 108c and uses different springs and they're tough to come by and I just want to run a 9 post cat clutch on it.  Got one on my Dennis Kirk run.  I didn't look at it close, finally got the spider off last night to find it's too damaged to used, bummed.  It's been really hard to find one of these clutches actually, for under $250 anyway and figuring I'll need to put some $$ into most I'd get too.  They first came out in 94 on the pumas actually so I started searching pumas just to maybe find someone parting one.. well I found one selling the whole sled for $300, says blown motor.  So I went a bought that tonight after work.  It's actually pretty nice!  Ad said 4400 miles it actually has 1900.  The clutch looks mint.  It's a two up which really sold me.  Ive been wanting a fan two up for trapping and wood cutting and hauling, maybe the occasional time I go fishing.  It was this guys kid, story is it ran out of oil and started making loud noises.  He says it still runs but it doesn't sound good.  I'm going to swap the clutch with my Z and then I'm not sure what will happen with the motor, depends what I find, if it just needs pistons I'll do that but if lower end I'll get a used one.  There's another puma for 200 that says it runs on spray.  Who would have ever thought I'd buy a puma lol.  My dad has a 96 and it's just not enough power for trail riding but it'll be great for whatever I use it for.  And I may just sell it, these are pretty sought after as a family/kid sled or fishermen being it's a two up especially.  And this week I started getting the zr9 serviced up.  Every single night that I've been home since I got the Z I've been out in the garage usually too late.  I was saying I feel like a buck in the rut, getting so worn down but I can't stop.  Staying home this weekend so I want to do some more jetting on the Z, and obviously swap the clutches and do some testing and tuning with it.  And the probably start on the puma...

Here's some recent prowler chassis pics

PXL_20210129_164629408.jpg

PXL_20210207_190459552.jpg

PXL_20210212_055130273.jpg

PXL_20210207_005410304.jpg

PXL_20210202_042137404.jpg

• Like 1

After some real messing around, I was finally able to get the clutch off the Z.

I cleaned up the puma clutch (dishwasher), blew it out.  That clutch alone was worth the price of the whole puma.  Put my new 50.5 gr weights in it.  Took it out today and it was close.  That was with a yellow green spring.  I then put in a yellow white and it is nailed perfect.  7100 pretty much the whole way.  With the yellow white it engages a little higher and is all around more responsive than the yellow green.  It's perfect now.  From any speed the sled jumps and is right where it should be to be responsive and still be civil.  I run the yellow white in the zr9 too with the same results.  Secondary I bummed from the performance manual and have a yellow and 53 degree.  Perfect setup right now, it was hard pack today with very low temps and I was borderline on the high side of rpm and with great backshift so it should be great also for looser snow and more moderate temps.  It runs out good too I was seeing 80+ on the dream meter pretty easily.

Been playing with jetting, it was fat at low speeds.  Pretty fat, I was not liking it.  Evidenced by all the fouled plugs that were included in the trunk.  Especially after riding our 96 quite a bit this year which runs so nice I knew it could be better, even if it has twice the carb.  I was playing with different pilot jets and the air screws quite a bit and it would help a noticeable amount but still not where it should be and then my idle was a little wonky, too lean at idle but too fat at very low speed operation.  I usually don't like to mess with the needle but I put everything back to stock and just dropped the needle one clip.  And that was the difference I was looking for.  Runs so good now, just how it should.  Nice and clean.  Responsive.  The sled is dialed right now I was a very happy camper today.  Now I just have to embarrass some 800's with it.  That will be this weekend.

As for the PUMA.  One piston squeaked.  I probably could have re used that cylinder but they are plentiful on ebay and got one coming@$50 should be here this week.  Then 2 new pistons and it'll be good to go.  I'm really excited for this sled.  My buddy wants it for his kids, but I also kind of want it for me.  It's pretty nice.  For $300 you can't beat it.  I have the Jag Z clutch ready to go with the 340 weights.  I am going to get a hitch in it and wouldn't mind sourcing out a basket rack from some of the other two ups.  I may get it running this week before going riding for the weekend.  I can't wait to haul some wood around behind it.

Where are all the other prowler chassis bros?

PXL_20210215_020254986.jpg

19 hours ago, mnstang said:

After some real messing around, I was finally able to get the clutch off the Z.

I cleaned up the puma clutch (dishwasher), blew it out.  That clutch alone was worth the price of the whole puma.  Put my new 50.5 gr weights in it.  Took it out today and it was close.  That was with a yellow green spring.  I then put in a yellow white and it is nailed perfect.  7100 pretty much the whole way.  With the yellow white it engages a little higher and is all around more responsive than the yellow green.  It's perfect now.  From any speed the sled jumps and is right where it should be to be responsive and still be civil.  I run the yellow white in the zr9 too with the same results.  Secondary I bummed from the performance manual and have a yellow and 53 degree.  Perfect setup right now, it was hard pack today with very low temps and I was borderline on the high side of rpm and with great backshift so it should be great also for looser snow and more moderate temps.  It runs out good too I was seeing 80+ on the dream meter pretty easily.

Been playing with jetting, it was fat at low speeds.  Pretty fat, I was not liking it.  Evidenced by all the fouled plugs that were included in the trunk.  Especially after riding our 96 quite a bit this year which runs so nice I knew it could be better, even if it has twice the carb.  I was playing with different pilot jets and the air screws quite a bit and it would help a noticeable amount but still not where it should be and then my idle was a little wonky, too lean at idle but too fat at very low speed operation.  I usually don't like to mess with the needle but I put everything back to stock and just dropped the needle one clip.  And that was the difference I was looking for.  Runs so good now, just how it should.  Nice and clean.  Responsive.  The sled is dialed right now I was a very happy camper today.  Now I just have to embarrass some 800's with it.  That will be this weekend.

As for the PUMA.  One piston squeaked.  I probably could have re used that cylinder but they are plentiful on ebay and got one coming@$50 should be here this week.  Then 2 new pistons and it'll be good to go.  I'm really excited for this sled.  My buddy wants it for his kids, but I also kind of want it for me.  It's pretty nice.  For $300 you can't beat it.  I have the Jag Z clutch ready to go with the 340 weights.  I am going to get a hitch in it and wouldn't mind sourcing out a basket rack from some of the other two ups.  I may get it running this week before going riding for the weekend.  I can't wait to haul some wood around behind it.

Where are all the other prowler chassis bros?

PXL_20210215_020254986.jpg

uh oh... someone is addicted to fanners  :)

come back to 85hp of liquid glory man... before @fortune46x fills your spot in the lineup with a cross-link suspended 602.  :lol2:

170hp 850's are boring... 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1