'11 Crossfire 800 gas tank neck cracked

SSFB

Gas tank neck has a crack in it. My brother runs a body shop and he had some stuff he applied to it to get it to stop leaking for a season but now it's leaking again today. Might have to have him do it again. Not sure what he used, I'd have to ask him. 

Anybody know a permanent fix for this issue?

I have contacted two different Cat dealers the last couple years trying to get a new tank under warranty. Supposedly at one point there was a tank for me coming soon but then that fell thru somehow. 

When I talked to my dealer today he said he sees no tanks thru June and that I'd just need to call back. 

AC Customer service says their Engineering team is working with a supplier to try to get this sorted out. 

3 hours ago, SSFB said:

Gas tank neck has a crack in it. My brother runs a body shop and he had some stuff he applied to it to get it to stop leaking for a season but now it's leaking again today. Might have to have him do it again. Not sure what he used, I'd have to ask him. 

Anybody know a permanent fix for this issue?

I have contacted two different Cat dealers the last couple years trying to get a new tank under warranty. Supposedly at one point there was a tank for me coming soon but then that fell thru somehow. 

When I talked to my dealer today he said he sees no tanks thru June and that I'd just need to call back. 

AC Customer service says their Engineering team is working with a supplier to try to get this sorted out. 

Here is a quote from C-note on Arctic Chat.  Sounds like even the new tanks from Cat aren't much good so you might as well just fix it yourself.  Or find a used tank.

Measure I.D. of filler neck, find some PVC that is slightly larger in O.D., using whatever method is easiest for a person to accomplish with, reduce PVC's O.D. to just the "slightest" of an "interference fit".. Enough that if you were to insert PVC into neck, it will remain in place ONLY do to slight contact... Then, make insert sleeve approx 1/8" LONGER than filler necks "top" to "bottoms" edge, 3M makes a two part compound used in aircraft industry that is fuel safe, it is used mostly for wire harness retention to cut back on rivets, etc..
Apply this compound to both, sleeves upper 2/3's, and filler necks lower 2/3's, insert PVC piece fabricated to a depth of 1/8" BELOW top of necks surface (so cap can still seat properly), then wipe away (with rag and gloves obviously) the excess compound that may form near top as there will be a little that tends to not follow due to close tolerances.. This compound takes only a few minutes to cure, and will retain piece solidly for life of tank... This method clearly outdoes ANYTHING Cats recalls have achieved over the years...

I will search and try to find name of this stuff, one may want to contact auto-parts stores though, as I'm sure many carry it.. (It is a clear gel substance). I used it inside of an ATV carburetor bowl for a lady back in 2008, and it still does not leak..... (Constantly having fuel in it......)

Edit: Below is link to epoxy used at friends auto repair shop..

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline....ives-Glue-Epoxy/3M-DP270-Epoxy-Adhesive-Clear

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/14/2021 at 3:10 PM, ickyoldman said:

What about a skilled plastic welder?

Not even a skilled one . Welding plastic is pretty ez . Unfortunately he already had some shit put on it  as a temp fix so prob impossible to get a good non contaminsted weld at this point .