2 Scratch or not 2 Scratch that is the Question?

Icecube

Here are the before and after side by side shots of the cables set hanging on the rail and now hung off the rails onto the plate only... they are set about 1” outside of the rail and leaning further back.

C9AC13F0-D846-4F43-880C-6615C92E6A87.jpeg

C5476457-86A3-4076-B3B2-647DBFB25320.jpeg

Edited by Icecube
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That’s some nice work.  Well done.  :bc:

Thank you Bro... that pic of your Calf’s made me want to Giddy Up and get riding this bitch in low snow so I can get back into shape... maybe I will have a chance and keep up to hang some Triples with ya!

I love to ride and wrench.

:nudie:

Edited by Icecube

58 minutes ago, Icecube said:

Thank you Bro... that pic of your Calf’s made me want to Giddy Up and get riding this bitch in low snow so I can get back into shape... maybe I will have a chance and keep up to hang some Triples with ya!

I love to ride and wrench.

:nudie:

:lol:

:bc:

On 1/21/2021 at 2:30 PM, Icecube said:

Cwhite; TeamG ; Fireball... want to say thank you for pushing me to achieve a higher quality result again.

I will try not to type a lot and let the pic’s speak for me.

just some notes to share to anyone who has gone with SLP cables or are having similar issues.

* the plate is grade 8 steal 1”X3”

* tried to give you pic’s of measurements of bend lengths

Lastly... this sled is a product of being a passionate Sled Head, and everything on it I learned from forums like this one and HCS, lots of blood sweat and tears, but it would not have become a reality or any fun without the priceless contribution of Real Hard Core Sledders like the ones who Rome the forums, don’t be afraid of the smack talking or Bashing... it’s all BULL SHIT! Stay true to yourself and follow along, there are great knowledge people here.

Enjoy... Oh, ya! I have to check with my patient partner Cwhite... but these plates will be for sale for $0.99 each and we are going to sell millions, Fireball would you like the first set?:roflcrying:

I like it. I'll be your guinea pig lol.

Hard to believe no scratcher company has marketed these.

19 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I like it. I'll be your guinea pig lol.

Hard to believe no scratcher company has marketed these.

Ya... it’s crazy!

They got to know they are to short to hang on rails.

SLP sell a rubber screw clamp used for hanging loom for $6.99 for two… And they don’t even work!

that’s HWY Robbery... they are a pack of 25 for $9.99 Princess Auto.

hope it will show others a little determination, networking and ingenuity... you just might make it!

Thanks for engaging.

Cube

🧤

Edited by Icecube

On 12/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, Icecube said:

Get your heads out of the gutter... need some feed back on a new scratcher rigging I worked up.

I need to get spray at the most forward bogies and skid.

I had the sprung wire type on the foot runners, they were okay but get bent up bad in the fast rough.

rigged up a set of cable scratchers, tapped a set of billet knobs if found at hardware store attached to a carriage bolt... so now with only gloves needed I can loosen to lower and raise.

I can also make the angle sharper in the down position, but keep in mind the skid floats so the ground clearance constantly changes.

Thoughts?

E57C1373-1289-4FE4-92C3-DDDC1A39B7BB.jpeg

82304EA8-D5AA-442C-9092-2B8A7CE12CBA.jpeg

E8CD4562-6B47-42ED-9C45-CD4FE98CED25.jpeg

Drill a hole in the back of your ski and toss a old stud in it . Quick cheep and  works 

I use to do it all the time when running M cats with only the fr cooler in the midwest 

On 1/21/2021 at 2:37 PM, Icecube said:

Last

F24D9133-6F73-49D2-AC94-F6C7DDD339EA.jpeg

The pic with my hand is pulling on the cable pretty hard, I can move the sled back and forth swaying the lift stand.

7DE73E58-FA8F-4060-A7EC-E62D45D37AAF.jpeg

B650B0F2-89A4-4900-879F-024178384F94.jpeg

E3C602F7-F9DA-4081-BCB6-9EFF7229CDFE.jpeg

36FFE079-8CC0-4298-A91E-FD686718CCC3.jpeg

Best off keeping those cable scratches down . They get a memory real fucking fast and are worthless is short order. Look around when ridding prob 1/4  of the cable scratches are not doing dick 

• Like 2

Thanks EZ... I haven’t had it out yet, got some new snow Friday night, going to watch how they cut.

Thanks for the stud tip on the keel of the ski, I am not big on adding drag on the steering, but I will keep that trick in mind, it’s not hard to tryout.

Cube

🧤

• 2 weeks later...

Recall advisory!

SLP Cable Holder Plate failure!

$0.99 each full credit refund.

Ez Rider you are probably right these cables have to stay down?

I was concerned about the skid springs not clearing the holder plates so I set the tension blocks to full soft, took it of for a couple of good size jumps and yup! The springs touch the plates and bent the angle of the plates further down so Cable’s can’t hang on this sharper angle.

So I was going to Hang it Up... then looking at my hardware cabinet I had small bullnose rings.

So here we go, last attempt to hang the cables.

some of you may have seen this coming, TeamGreen I think that why you choose to rail hang behind the bump block.

there is no way to hang 12” SLP cable off the rails without a massive amount of cable bend.

any feedback on this rigging would be appreciated.

if nothing else these make fine looking Skid Rail Earrings!:lol2:

9231EEFD-23D5-48A1-904A-48A5FD092B36.jpeg

ADE50666-A528-405B-9718-AB6CA748EAA1.jpeg

0653B0BC-0133-4052-A01F-2A3249D96415.jpeg

9F8D080B-D0F2-4CF6-9002-E1B9209FF800.jpeg

9276541F-9D21-455C-8E88-0C6718488CD7.jpeg

CFF13D72-76A2-4440-9595-6B034C03666B.jpeg

CE48F9B7-F332-41BD-A499-543FBA56657B.jpeg

BA17D995-CC9C-45C0-BAAF-79016EC12026.jpeg

ED4A5E6E-84A3-4BC7-96E4-1B6B8CEB7568.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Drill a hole on the back of your ski and toss a old stud in it . Get all the spray you need on the fr of the track for about 50 cents 

Going after the Drill this afternoon....:thumb:

I have lots of 1.850 studs from old track, I will set them in and give it a go.

🧤

On 2/4/2021 at 12:35 AM, Ez ryder said:

Drill a hole on the back of your ski and toss a old stud in it . Get all the spray you need on the fr of the track for about 50 cents 

How big of a stud would you suggest... I only have a front cooler also, and I'm a cheap bastard.

No handling issues or anything?  

My skis are pretty shot so they are the perfect test subject. 

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

How big of a stud would you suggest... I only have a front cooler also, and I'm a cheap bastard.

No handling issues or anything?  

My skis are pretty shot so they are the perfect test subject. 

I dont know what ever is laying around.  I had a hole in the ski of my M and would toss a stud in when shit was set up hard I put it at that little lip up so it was angeld back a bit . 

22 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I dont know what ever is laying around.  I had a hole in the ski of my M and would toss a stud in when shit was set up hard I put it at that little lip up so it was angeld back a bit . 

Awesome, I only have some small studs laying around but I'm gonna try this thanks for the idea.  

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

41 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Awesome, I only have some small studs laying around but I'm gonna try this thanks for the idea.  

Okay... well here is some pic’s... now my ski’s a Curves.

The  problem I can see if you are on hard pack ice, lake or anything that the runners can’t bite into the surface the stud ain’t going to do nothin.:dunno:

Open to discussion, it’s very easy to install, it cost you a hole in your keel, my old girl is getting ready for semi retirement, so I am open to messing around with some stuff... I would not be putting a drill on my new iron as easy.😱

1B273DBA-F6F7-4952-AD6A-D0B530FDCAA4.jpeg

4011A630-5763-4C85-A588-FA98ABD513D6.jpeg

B55E3049-234B-4D6C-9AE7-8D41C975114E.jpeg

Edited by Icecube

9 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

When you are on the gas sled and ski will rock back . . 

Go run it and see . Guess mine was a tad closer  but not much 

That makes sense… don’t get me wrong, I’m all in with trying out stuff.

got to do something to keep me busy under house arrest, I will report hopefully Monday, we got some fresh snow coming so the dirt road we are on will show if it will make contact with the ground.

Its all good... I’m putting in my resume with Cat as test pilot.:roflcrying:

On 12/30/2020 at 8:22 AM, Deephaven said:

Any wire type is pointless for true spring ice over.  If it is a spring with a lot of tension it won't be enough.  Sure they help, but all your efforts to move them forward won't do anything if they don't dig up ice.  Either the tunnel or rail mount BRP options are the best choices IMO.  

I made the mistake of buying almost all different kinds until I finally discovered the BRP tunnel mounted scratchers. The tunnel mounted are just awesome, my only complaint is they pack up with a shitload of ice when they are stowed. Small price to pay, with Vespel slides I can run my 900t on glare ice all day long and it stays cool and the slides stay lubed. Awesome scratchers. I don't like the idea of the rail mounted ones but they are very popular so I imagine they will work fine.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, Ez ryder said:

I've saved a few trips with that technique.  Including one where my buddy had wire type scratchers that weren't cutting it.  Had a hard freeze after a melt and it was hard as hell.  We didn't use a stud though.  Just a bolt and some washers.  Saved the trip.