North Shore Thread Volume 2.0

Fireball 440

35 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I tried my luck on the sled today. Ripped the trail around TH.  Yes that was me the no helmet guy 😆.

I should have had one on im not healthy enough to ride.

Did you get everything zip tied permanently back in place after the ride last year?  

I'm still waiting on pistons.  Probably head up the week after New Years for the first ride.  No chance of real snow this week.  Looks like around Christmas before the next good chance.  Then it always take a couple days extra around the holidays for the volunteer crews to get out there.  Should be in good shape this year by New Years.

On 12/13/2021 at 2:43 PM, teamgreen02 said:

Did you get everything zip tied permanently back in place after the ride last year?  

I'm still waiting on pistons.  Probably head up the week after New Years for the first ride.  No chance of real snow this week.  Looks like around Christmas before the next good chance.  Then it always take a couple days extra around the holidays for the volunteer crews to get out there.  Should be in good shape this year by New Years.

Nope. Rode hard and parked wet. She's due for an oil change. I did put new wear rods on.

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Beat to shit, icy, muddy and fucking not worth the drive?

Pretty much around here.  Fucking drizzle rain since this morning is really hurting.  Put in at silver bay or even further north at this point.  Depends on what tonight brings.

6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Pretty much around here.  Fucking drizzle rain since this morning is really hurting.  Put in at silver bay or even further north at this point.  Depends on what tonight brings.

Silver bay was the choice...but from looking at the cover even that I assume is whooped, icy and fuxored.

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Silver bay was the choice...but from looking at the cover even that I assume is whooped, icy and fuxored.

I think conditions were decent from there to Finland and North.  But, it really all depends what your definition of "decent" is I guess.  Nothing is spurring me to load up yet but, I am a bit of a trail snob so...

Snob GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Throwing in the towel, eh?  How’d you tweak it?

Ive got my ride set for the year but, it looks like we’re in for another shot year.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:45 AM, Zambroski said:

Throwing in the towel, eh?  How’d you tweak it?

Ive got my ride set for the year but, it looks like we’re in for another shot year.

Still have the REV.  I'll let some other members fill you in on how I tweaked it.  It lasted 18 hours on craigslist at asking price.

Trying to get the Yukon open for business as soon as we can.
Still a huge mess where the Greenwood fire went through.
There was a logging company that WAS supposed to clean it up for us being as he is logging in that area but he didn't so we have to do it the old fashion way.
Two of us spent the whole day yesterday ( and 3 tanks or gas in the chainsaw ) cutting it all up so the groomer can push it out of the way.
We are still trying to get it done before this weekend but with the cold temps. coming in, it probably not going to get done until next week.
There are still a few spots in the swamps that are not frozen yet and no way to by pass them. With the cold temps this week, they should freeze up.
Fingers crossed.

Other club members are working on the southern part of the trail but last night a track broke on the groomer so they are doing a rescue mission today.

IMG_4435.thumb.JPG.8d535aa710e803db600bf1b17787e175.JPGIMG_4434.thumb.JPG.25d0c2d10d5b401ffa01e666d788a223.JPGIMG_4433.thumb.JPG.e6b6f33bc6ede46a608ce58a0d86a2a8.JPGIMG_4426.thumb.JPG.215da9a4123f9f0b7ef1044c038c6340.JPGIMG_4429.thumb.JPG.3049f11c5c0027d20704b68b614a5fdb.JPG

1.4 MB Views: 0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Greasemonkey said:

Trying to get the Yukon open for business as soon as we can.
Still a huge mess where the Greenwood fire went through.
There was a logging company that WAS supposed to clean it up for us being as he is logging in that area but he didn't so we have to do it the old fashion way.
Two of us spent the whole day yesterday ( and 3 tanks or gas in the chainsaw ) cutting it all up so the groomer can push it out of the way.
We are still trying to get it done before this weekend but with the cold temps. coming in, it probably not going to get done until next week.
There are still a few spots in the swamps that are not frozen yet and no way to by pass them. With the cold temps this week, they should freeze up.
Fingers crossed.

Other club members are working on the southern part of the trail but last night a track broke on the groomer so they are doing a rescue mission today.

IMG_4435.thumb.JPG.8d535aa710e803db600bf1b17787e175.JPGIMG_4434.thumb.JPG.25d0c2d10d5b401ffa01e666d788a223.JPGIMG_4433.thumb.JPG.e6b6f33bc6ede46a608ce58a0d86a2a8.JPGIMG_4426.thumb.JPG.215da9a4123f9f0b7ef1044c038c6340.JPGIMG_4429.thumb.JPG.3049f11c5c0027d20704b68b614a5fdb.JPG

1.4 MB Views: 0

Damn, that's some carnage and I'm sure there's 100x more too.

I'm going to do my best to pack down as many miles of trails as I can this weekend north of Grand Rapids.

Sounds like the club in Grand Rapids is grooming, but the swamps aren't frozen and lots of trails north of there won't be groomed for a while yet.

From what I've heard, the ice on Pokegema is still a little sketchy, use caution.

Scratch that last comment - Greenway, Marcell, Grand Rapids Driftskippers  and Blackduck are all grooming.  Not all trails yet, some are pretty rough.  I pulled a log off the trail that the groomer picked up and cut down a sapling that was bent over at about head level yesterday.  Trails were absolutely rideable, keep an eye out for obstacles.  I didn’t see any open water.  With the amount of packing the last couple of days and -36F temps, that should help freeze up the swamps and Pokegema trail.