North Shore Thread Volume 2.0

Fireball 440

6 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I've been friends with those Brandt boys for over 25 years, used to work with their dad for Lake County years ago too.   I'm sure you know the name from the Brandt memorial shelter.

I met John a few times, usually at Dixie's.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 6:14 PM, Fireball 440 said:

few pics from the Wild Country ATV club ride on Saturday.

2021 WC club ride 1.jpg

2021 WC club ride 2.jpg

We rode up through Wisconsin and back last week and there were groups of these things riding along 53 on what appeared to be a part of the trail system.  The ones in front looked like they were having fun.  The rest were just eating dirt and dust.  I just don’t see the appeal.  :dunno:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

We rode up through Wisconsin and back last week and there were groups of these things riding along 53 on what appeared to be a part of the trail system.  The ones in front looked like they were having fun.  The rest were just eating dirt and dust.  I just don’t see the appeal.  :dunno:

We stayed with the front 5 machines, the rest were spaced out over a few miles. The dust was horrible.

9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Sez the guy who sold his sleds and moved south...

2 hours ago, D-rail said:

Sez the guy who sold his sleds and moved south...

I moved south, THEN sold the sleds!!  Rob showed and sold the last one for me.

We just bought a little place in Lakeside to prop our feet up on our return.  Should be back up there in 2 weeks!  We’re gonna have a stock of the regular Mountain Dew fer ya!

:bc:

Rode last Friday from Two Harbors to Finland. Any time I slowed to under 15 mph to negotiate a part of the trail, or stop to take a picture, the bugs swarmed on me like a neon sign said free lunch. I got a couple axles grinding on me, so I gotta replace em again before another venture happens.

20210702_203237.jpg

20210702_203602.jpg

• Like 4

On my way to the Trestle, and more sunset pics from today. Axles are nice and quiet again. Creeks are scant with water, saw 1.5 puddles along the trail.

20210710_201054.jpg

20210710_170953.jpg

20210710_201624.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 6:01 AM, Zambroski said:

Can't pay me for that shit .

I pretty much hate most dirt trails . That is why I bought another 50 inch sxs .

I love picking my way around old clear cuts and creek beds etc etc end uo with the chainsaws out to much with the big machines want to follow 

On 7/10/2021 at 11:43 PM, D-rail said:

On my way to the Trestle, and more sunset pics from today. Axles are nice and quiet again. Creeks are scant with water, saw 1.5 puddles along the trail.

20210710_201054.jpg

20210710_170953.jpg

20210710_201624.jpg

Did dnr block trails around the tressel and around the burn ? 

Was wanting to head up this or next weekend prob nine mile or the like  . Wife wants to go up closer to ely but from what I see most campgrounds don't even alow atv in them up there. No shocker there with the summer smarmy crowd in those parts 

Tressel area is good to go.

should be able to ride up to ely no problem.try new trail towards tower.

you can make loop around to Babbitt and back down to tressel area!

be a full day!

loop south of Babbitt was closed due to fire.

good info here

https://m.facebook.com/ProspectorLoopATVTrail/posts/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

• 2 months later...

Again, a day after. I posted this in HCS, and I know some don't get on there, so here's what I said.

Sunday ride, we had about 6" in town, but up north, it's a whole 'nuther world.

Got a late start to the day. Finished up a couple snowblowers, and delivered so townspeople could wrestle with a machine instead of a shovel.

In town, only showed maybe a scant 6" of fresh snow. I saw radar patches during this storm, and deduced the snowfall would be more up and away from the Lake. I bundled up my supplies, and took the harrowing journey north. Highway 61 had a few bozos who really shouldn't have been out and about. Otherwise, the roads were only populated by a few cars following the occasional plow.

Long stretches of icy roadway had my trailer trying to get ahead of me in numerous places. I drove into Finland. Everything was closed. Up to the parking lot near the Clair Nelson Center. I could make out the driveway, no sense in cutting it short or long, and getting stuck in the ditch. I put it in four wheel drive just in case, spun around, and parked aimed towards the exit. I opened my door, and the snow was even with my floorboards. A good 20 inches deep. I hoped I'd be able to make my way up the short Iinline when I had my fill of riding.

Anybody that knows me and how I ride can attest one of my least favorite riding is this kind of stuff. Spinning down to try to get traction, any time I slowed down, or tried to stop, a mountain of snow would pile up infront of my sled, which kept my arms and legs busy trying to clear out a path so I could keep moving.

I know now why mountain riders have no headlights. They are useless in deep powder. I could manage 12 mph before the fluff would come up over my hood,, and block my lights, and I'd be in the dark unless I slowed down. Virgin two foot deep fluffy snow kept me shifting back and forth trying to steer with just my weight.

I also learned not to stop facing uphill. Turning around was no picnic, and the ride back on my path was double the speeds I'd been limited to.

I shut off my sled, stopped to catch my breath, and eventually could make out the outline of the sled and the snow. Weird being in the dark, with the snow coming down. I managed a whopping 15 miles, and by the time I got back to the trailer, was beat. Good time for a shakedown cruise.

20211205_161433.jpg

20211205_171140.jpg

20211205_171416.jpg

20211205_181151.jpg

20211205_181156.jpg

Edited by D-rail
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, D-rail said:

Again, a day after. I posted this in HCS, and I know some don't get on there, so here's what I said.

Sunday ride, we had about 6" in town, but up north, it's a whole 'nuther world.

Got a late start to the day. Finished up a couple snowblowers, and delivered so townspeople could wrestle with a machine instead of a shovel.

In town, only showed maybe a scant 6" of fresh snow. I saw radar patches during this storm, and deduced the snowfall would be more up and away from the Lake. I bundled up my supplies, and took the harrowing journey north. Highway 61 had a few bozos who really shouldn't have been out and about. Otherwise, the roads were only populated by a few cars following the occasional plow.

Long stretches of icy roadway had my trailer trying to get ahead of me in numerous places. I drove into Finland. Everything was closed. Up to the parking lot near the Clair Nelson Center. I could make out the driveway, no sense in cutting it short or long, and getting stuck in the ditch. I put it in four wheel drive just in case, spun around, and parked aimed towards the exit. I opened my door, and the snow was even with my floorboards. A good 20 inches deep. I hoped I'd be able to make my way up the short Iinline when I had my fill of riding.

Anybody that knows me and how I ride can attest one of my least favorite riding is this kind of stuff. Spinning down to try to get traction, any time I slowed down, or tried to stop, a mountain of snow would pile up infront of my sled, which kept my arms and legs busy trying to clear out a path so I could keep moving.

I know now why mountain riders have no headlights. They are useless in deep powder. I could manage 12 mph before the fluff would come up over my hood,, and block my lights, and I'd be in the dark unless I slowed down. Virgin two foot deep fluffy snow kept me shifting back and forth trying to steer with just my weight.

I also learned not to stop facing uphill. Turning around was no picnic, and the ride back on my path was double the speeds I'd been limited to.

I shut off my sled, stopped to catch my breath, and eventually could make out the outline of the sled and the snow. Weird being in the dark, with the snow coming down. I managed a whopping 15 miles, and by the time I got back to the trailer, was beat. Good time for a shakedown cruise.

20211205_161433.jpg

20211205_171140.jpg

20211205_171416.jpg

20211205_181151.jpg

20211205_181156.jpg

I can't believe you don't like this kind of riding.  Maybe just because you're on a trail machine?  I could never ride a trail again if I can free ride in powder every day.

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

I can't believe you don't like this kind of riding.  Maybe just because you're on a trail machine?  I could never ride a trail again if I can free ride in powder every day.

This powder riding lacks the intensity of speed, acceleration, taking turns and instant response. Powder is like riding in slow motion to me.

• Like 2

Got some trail work done the last two days on the northern part of the Yukon trail.

Lots of trees down especially in the Greenwood burn area.

They will be logging in that area all winter and using part of the Yukon trail so please be careful.

The swamps are freezing up nicely.

Will be up there next weekend to get some more trees cut.

Trail is officially open but far from being nice. We will get it in good shape as soon as possible.

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Greasemonkey said:

Got some trail work done the last two days on the northern part of the Yukon trail.

Lots of trees down especially in the Greenwood burn area.

They will be logging in that area all winter and using part of the Yukon trail so please be careful.

The swamps are freezing up nicely.

Will be up there next weekend to get some more trees cut.

Trail is officially open but far from being nice. We will get it in good shape as soon as possible.

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4398.JPG

IMG_4384.JPG

Thanks for the work and update, Greasy!  I can’t wait to get out by here and goof up my freshly PC’d parts.  

Luckily, I know an expert in powdercoating!  :bc: