North Shore Thread Volume 2.0

Fireball 440

:(:(
Trail Update:
The Yukon has been groomed this week however with warm temps and no snow, it is in poor condition. And will not be groomed a second time this week due to temps and lack of snow.
The Dixie Spur (trail leaving from club house) will be groomed if temperatures drop, but will likely be in poor condition as well.
Corridor Trails ( town access trails to state trail) all grooming is suspended until more snow falls. The Corridor has several bare spots and is in poor condition as well.
This isn’t the report we were hoping for, we had heavy sled traffic last weekend and very warm temps this week.
🤞🏼 for snow ❄️
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I expect today's update to be horrible.

Screenshot_20210225-062836.png

It will be bad.  Corners down to rocks and snirt I bet.  Last Sunday wasn't great, even by Silver Bay headed towards the Trestle.  I've sure wrecked a lot carbides and studs this year.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:29 AM, Fireball 440 said:

I expect today's update to be horrible.

Screenshot_20210225-062836.png

Update isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Still some good riding out there it sounds like.  Get out while you can.

The brisker next weekend could get interesting!

image.thumb.png.68620ad1293d2f9e0fd5930166123c33.png

21 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

6 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Update isn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Still some good riding out there it sounds like.  Get out while you can.

The brisker next weekend could get interesting!

image.thumb.png.68620ad1293d2f9e0fd5930166123c33.png

I'm riding after work tonight from the Silver Bay hwy 11 parking lot about 9:30 PM, heading north.

• Like 1

91 miles tonight. Met 2 northbound groomers and 1 southbound groomer on the NSST.  Rode to The Trestle which was closed and back to the Frst Hwy 11 lot, with a little side trip to the straight stretch south of the NSM RR tracks.

Best trail is north of the Hockman Trail turnoff, pretty choppy south of that. The Tomahawk is choppy. Great night under what looks like a full moon. Only met 2 other sleds.

IMG_20210226_215711_0.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

So I blew a corner last week and turns out that orange skidoo found the same corner lol.

Pretty low odds of that happening.

You only miss that corner once... No need to ask how I know!!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, D-rail said:

You only miss that corner once... No need to ask how I know!!

Since I almost missed it, I'm guessing I'll do the same thing or worse next time?  That's the first time I have been down the Blueberry trail so I had no idea that corner was coming.  Our guide sure didn't warn us.

Could be my last ride of the year... most everybody says this winter sucked for snow around here in Minnesota, and a short season happened. But, I did manage an early ride October 28th, and today is the first day of Spring. I got only about 2/3 my typical mileage, and this stint shows the last remnants of the only decent snow left. Areas in this video were from Grand Portage, and the Moosewalk near Finland. The hardpack base is almost gone, so new snow will barely hide the problem areas now. Everything is soft, and like mush. Rocks and dirt are prevalent. But, I had to get out one more time!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

North Shore ATV trails are scheduled to open May 1.

Even with the week of rain, the trails absorbed up the water very well and are much drier than I would have thought.  Although it's not yet "legal", I got 120 miles in yesterday on trails and forest roads in Lake & St. Louis Counties with very little pavement riding.  

Coming events:

👨🏻‍🚒👨🏻‍🚒The Silver Bay Fire Department would love to invite Minnesota ATV Riders to pancake breakfast Saturday June 26th AND Sunday June 27th morning from 7am to 10am!!! They are rolling out the red carpet for all the riders coming up for the weekend! They are ALSO going to be doing BURGERS AND BRATS from 4pm to 8pm in front for the AmericInn! 👨🏻‍🚒👨🏻‍🚒
Judging by SBFD Facebook page they know how to feed a crowd!!!

2021 Silver Bay RIDE THE SHORE - pre-registration. - mnatvriders

2021 Finland Family Poker Run - September 25th at the Claire Nelson Center by the NSST parking lot

2021 Ride & Rally / ATM MN State Convention in Ely - 2021 Ride and Rally / ATV MN State Convention – Prospector ATV Club (ridetrails.org)

RTS 2021.jpg

RTS update.jpg

Prospector-ATV-MN-Ride-and-Rally-Poster-2021-2-232x300.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I rode my wheeler on the Wild Country Trail yesterday out of the Alger (highway #2) lot in Two Harbors. I saw there were many places along the stretch that had signs up, saying the trail was closed until further notice, but... the gates were all open, so I went up to Finland for a burger at Our Place. Why would they leave the signs up?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 1:19 PM, D-rail said:

I rode my wheeler on the Wild Country Trail yesterday out of the Alger (highway #2) lot in Two Harbors. I saw there were many places along the stretch that had signs up, saying the trail was closed until further notice, but... the gates were all open, so I went up to Finland for a burger at Our Place. Why would they leave the signs up?

Trail was open, I saw a post about it on the club site.  Apparently the club didn't put those signs up? was what I pieced together. Idk.

I messaged Michael Brandt about it on Facebook. He said indeed, the trails were open. He said he would look into why the signs were still up. This was well over a week ago now, but I ain't been up there since, and this weekend, we're riding in Sconnie. As long as the gates let me thru, I'm going.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:09 AM, D-rail said:

I messaged Michael Brandt about it on Facebook. He said indeed, the trails were open. He said he would look into why the signs were still up. This was well over a week ago now, but I ain't been up there since, and this weekend, we're riding in Sconnie. As long as the gates let me thru, I'm going.

I've been friends with those Brandt boys for over 25 years, used to work with their dad for Lake County years ago too.   I'm sure you know the name from the Brandt memorial shelter.