Doo stat mod

LexusLover

boys, i did this mod over the summer to my pro r with the front heat exchanger.  Man does it make a difference.  Was out with the boy on his 340 showing him a few things and my sled was consistently at 109-111F while putting along at 25mph.  Did some long high speed pulls in the farmer's field and didn't get over 115F.  This thing really works.  Suggest anyone that has a cooling issue to do this.  

62163057072__9ED9C418-E4B8-48EC-B157-811283E7DA50.JPG

Edited by LexusLover
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 4:18 PM, LexusLover said:

boys, i did this mod over the summer to my pro r with the front heat exchanger.  Man does it make a difference.  Was out with the boy on his 340 showing him a few things and my sled was consistently at 109-111F while putting along at 25mph.  Did some long high speed pulls in the farmer's field and didn't get over 115F.  This thing really works.  Suggest anyone that has a cooling issue to do this.  

Seems there are differing opinions on this. I did it to my 15 Indy 600. Scratchers are a much better investment IMO

nspindycoolingdookit.jpg

On 12/24/2020 at 8:32 AM, Cwhite138 said:

Just wondering. 
Do you just change out the T-stat for one from a doo? 

no, there was a bit of cutting of the original hose and splicing new hose in as well as some connectors that were required.  The thermostat is now a Doo, the polaris one is gutted just for flow.  The amount of coolant that is pushed through the system now is almost double per litre.  The circulation is much much better. 

Edited by LexusLover

15 hours ago, LexusLover said:

did the scratchers and it didn't help at all.  This was the ticket to keeping it cool

And for me scratchers made a reduction of 30 degrees in the same conditions.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:46 AM, LexusLover said:

so you're running under 120F now?

Excuse me for my ignorance, is this your stock cooling system? 
image.png.31d2547e86c17706bef7e4949023c0cd.png

Also wouldn't a comparison to a 600cc be kind of an apples and orange comparison? 

28 minutes ago, racerdave said:

My Pro R was a Indy, the full tunnel. Not a beaver tail

Does the Indy only have a front cooler? couldn't find a 15 Indy 600 pro R on the list.  

image.png.75db0f32dd5c64e569d5f52979e4e6ff.png

Might be a large factor also to the scratchers making a more of a difference.  What style scratchers did you use?  

I also only have a front cooler and some scratchers might do be some good. doesn't look like I am gonna get a lot of snow this year.. 

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

Cool.... a lot of exchangers in that system. must be fun to bleed. 

Do you think you are going to try scratchers as well? 

no need to run scratchers.  i've been consistent 109-111 on most types of terrain.  If i do get high, i hit some snow on the side and it drops within seconds.  

4 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

How much of a benefit is it to run 110f vs 120f? How far back of sleds does this benefit? 

I find it weird for Polaris to run more aggressive timing at 110f and install a 120f thermostat.

for me it's more piece of mind.   i run forged pistons and to have the sled run cooler is most important to me.  The temperature fluctuation with the original thermo was immense.  i'd be 125 all the way up to 165 with the sled pulling timing at the higher temps.  And these temps were in good to pretty good trail conditions.  I was sick and tired of constantly worrying about temps.  The stock polaris thermo circulates 11 litres per minute whereas the doo stat circulates 26 litres per minute.  that almost 2 1/2 times more circulation.  I was skeptical at first, but this has really impressed me on the consistency of the temps with the doo stat mod. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

Does the Indy only have a front cooler? couldn't find a 15 Indy 600 pro R on the list.  

image.png.75db0f32dd5c64e569d5f52979e4e6ff.png

Might be a large factor also to the scratchers making a more of a difference.  What style scratchers did you use?  

I also only have a front cooler and some scratchers might do be some good. doesn't look like I am gonna get a lot of snow this year.. 

Yes the Indy has a front cooler. 2 tunnel coolers and a under tunnel crossover between the coolers at the rear. Indys are Pro R's based on the front suspension being the same as the Beaver tail Pro R's.

1 hour ago, racerdave said:

Yes the Indy has a front cooler. 2 tunnel coolers and a under tunnel crossover between the coolers at the rear. Indys are Pro R's based on the front suspension being the same as the Beaver tail Pro R's.

Need to get up on my poo lingo I guess. 

Its odd they only list a front cooler in the engine cooling section for all 600 indy models.  This is the first time I have ever looked the cooling on the Poos.. I am surprised they have cooling issues at all with that many heat exchangers. ITs funny tho when you look up the Chassis diagrams you can see a rear cooler just peaking in the drawing. 

image.png.0b46431a4f7890f36ee7bc271c7989aa.png

Edited by Cwhite138

#19 is the front cooler. In your pic, Where the 2 hose clamps #5 across from each other,  connect ,  are the full length tunnel coolers. They are basically the tunnel top,#13,in my pic,  with the tunnel sides riveted to them.

15INDYtunnel.jpg

Edited by racerdave

update to the mod now that i put on about 200 miles New Years Day.  Average temp was 114 with hitting temporary temps of 131 if there was little snow.  Trails weren't perfect by any means, but even in the low snow conditions, this was impressive.

• 2 months later...